British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Terrible landlord - some advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/terrible-landlord-some-advice-please-934236/)

shacho Aug 9th 2020 7:45 pm

Terrible landlord - some advice please

In my 3 years at my current property in Barcelona I've experienced the worst landlord I've ever experienced in my life. An example being water coming into the property which in turn flooded the boiler, she refused to fix (during winter) and for 4 days I had no hot water or heating (I am a single parent with two small kids) so I ended up paying (she flat out refused) as well as accusing me of damaging window frames because I leave the shutters up during sun/storms. The list is endless.

Her behaviour to the other tenant is equally appalling and threatened to sue her over a apparent blocked toilet (it wasn't the toilet in the end). If I stop paying rent the final 2 months of my lease (coming up to end of 3 year lease - she won't renew) what would be the consequences as there is zero chance she will return my bond.

Also, she had made a garage into a bedsit on our ground floor. Tenants come and go due to the humidity/cockroaches etc and cannot be legal in any way. How can I find out if the bedsit is legal or not?

missile Aug 9th 2020 9:06 pm

Re: Terrible landlord - some advice please

3 years on? Why do you not look for somewhere else to rent?

shacho Aug 9th 2020 9:23 pm

thanks but its not really helpful but to answer....in my barrio there is a massive rental shortage within walking distance of my kids school hence why we haven't moved. I am moving but must got to another area of Barcelona and take the train.

cermignano Aug 9th 2020 9:34 pm

If you feel that you can get another rental without a reference then I wouldn't pay. This happens to students all the time here

inbarcelona Aug 10th 2020 7:57 am

If you are certain she won´t return your deposit then just don´t pay the last 2 months rent.
If she starts proceedings to get you out it will take MUCH longer than 2 months.

missile Aug 10th 2020 9:03 am

Originally Posted by shacho (Post 12894562)
thanks but its not really helpful but to answer....in my barrio there is a massive rental shortage within walking distance of my kids school hence why we haven't moved. I am moving but must got to another area of Barcelona and take the train.

Seems you have now decided to move? :amen:

inbarcelona Aug 10th 2020 9:43 am

She said that she was moving because the Landlord will not renew her lease.

missile Aug 10th 2020 11:00 am

I did read that.