Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Terrible landlord - some advice please

Terrible landlord - some advice please

Old Aug 9th 2020, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

shacho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Terrible landlord - some advice please

In my 3 years at my current property in Barcelona I've experienced the worst landlord I've ever experienced in my life. An example being water coming into the property which in turn flooded the boiler, she refused to fix (during winter) and for 4 days I had no hot water or heating (I am a single parent with two small kids) so I ended up paying (she flat out refused) as well as accusing me of damaging window frames because I leave the shutters up during sun/storms. The list is endless.

Her behaviour to the other tenant is equally appalling and threatened to sue her over a apparent blocked toilet (it wasn't the toilet in the end). If I stop paying rent the final 2 months of my lease (coming up to end of 3 year lease - she won't renew) what would be the consequences as there is zero chance she will return my bond.

Also, she had made a garage into a bedsit on our ground floor. Tenants come and go due to the humidity/cockroaches etc and cannot be legal in any way. How can I find out if the bedsit is legal or not?
Old Aug 9th 2020, 9:06 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrible landlord - some advice please

3 years on? Why do you not look for somewhere else to rent?
Old Aug 9th 2020, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

shacho is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks but its not really helpful but to answer....in my barrio there is a massive rental shortage within walking distance of my kids school hence why we haven't moved. I am moving but must got to another area of Barcelona and take the train.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

If you feel that you can get another rental without a reference then I wouldn't pay. This happens to students all the time here
Old Aug 10th 2020, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

If you are certain she won´t return your deposit then just don´t pay the last 2 months rent.
If she starts proceedings to get you out it will take MUCH longer than 2 months.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 9:03 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shacho View Post
thanks but its not really helpful but to answer....in my barrio there is a massive rental shortage within walking distance of my kids school hence why we haven't moved. I am moving but must got to another area of Barcelona and take the train.
Seems you have now decided to move?
Old Aug 10th 2020, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

She said that she was moving because the Landlord will not renew her lease.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:00 am
Started off with nothing

I did read that.