tenants

Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tenants

Originally Posted by karen mayne
Can anyone tell me how to get bad tenants out of a house owned by friends?
If the utility bills are in the owners name they should stop paying them for starters or get a sparky to covertly disconnect power from the outside ,switch off the water as well, If they are English, film them and put them on Youtube , embarrass the t**ts out.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
If the utility bills are in the owners name they should stop paying them for starters or get a sparky to covertly disconnect power from the outside ,switch off the water as well, If they are English, film them and put them on Youtube , embarrass the t**ts out.
Doh! As soon as you do that, you are in a load more trouble than the tenant!

Do NOT do this under any circumstance!
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Agree! This could (will!) make things much worse. Best to do things legally even if it is very slow. The courts don't like you taking things into your own hands.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

How about another angle , get your sparky to visit for the annual check then condemn it as unsafe .
Old Nov 7th 2011, 4:45 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
How about another angle , get your sparky to visit for the annual check then condemn it as unsafe .
I think that's actually a good idea, these tennants need teaching a lesson, fight fire with fire I say

Last edited by anonimouse; Nov 7th 2011 at 4:56 am.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word from someone who's lived in Spain for 12 years and has been going through the legal system to get my place back, don't listen to these guys who are advising you to go ballistic on this. It might make you feel better, but if you mess with the legal system there, it will come back and bite you. Just some friendly advice... do what you want, but if you break the law, be prepared to face the consequences.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

karen mayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Steve, guess these people will just have to bite the bullet and wait! Thing is, they did this once before and got burnt. Just goes to show you CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks. Will report back with your comments to them, no point in stretching this out any more, thanks again, Karen
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Not sure if anyone can help me with this one.

I finally got my possession of my apartment after the courts got round to making a decision. For information, the flat was totally crammed with their stuff; 10 bottles of butano, new furniture, a room full (and I mean crammed to the ceiling) with new toys in the boxes, maybe a hundred new towels, the same with sheets (all in original packaging), new washing machine, new drier, plasma screen tv, a new kitchen, better than my old one... the list goes on. The court people and procuradora told me that they'd never seen anything like it. All abandoned and mine. Most of it I gave away/sold, but the tenant came round to claim it two weeks later. Sorry mate. She then had the cheek to make a denuncia. Police bemused, but not heard any more yet. We'll see.

Well, back to my problem. I'm on my way to Australia, but visa not received yet, so I'm caring for my ma here (in UK) while I can. My niece and boyfriend, both working here (Cadiz) love my place and moved in. Cheap rent, nice place....

You could see this coming.... Trusting her to look after the place, no contract in place, now they've stopped paying rent and won't return calls. I'm going back next sunday. Can I just walk in and ask them to leave? I was living there for a while after I got possession and before they (niece/boyfriend) moved it, and our verbal agreement was that I would be living there with them, but going back and forth to the UK to care for my mother. Haven't been there for about 6 weeks now.

Any suggestions very much welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited by SteveDW; Jun 12th 2012 at 2:56 am. Reason: more info.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
Tenants have too many rights in Spain!!! What gives anyone the right to not pay their rent, electric and water and expect to be able to stay. I think it is disgusting that people have no control over their own property. There are too many people with no conscience who happily abuse other peoples good natures!!

As to my above post the police said as there was no contract and it was a holiday and they were not Spanish residents they had no tenants rights.

Total Rubbish and above all demonstrates utter ignorance.

If no contract, a standard contract under L.A.U. is assumed.

The police were incorrect, but what do you expect.

Also, tenancy law in Spain is balanced fairly evenly between Tenant and Landlord. Unfortunately, the vast majority of landlords are operating ILLEGALLY, without the proper licences, not paying taxes, no regard for health and safety, etc.

Cutting elec and water is illegal and amounts to coercion, which is a crime.

So the tenant should have denounced the landlord and you should have denounced the police for given out incorrect and potentially damaging information.

Luckily for the landlord, that the tenants didn't know their rights!!!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:00 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW

You could see this coming.... Trusting her to look after the place, no contract in place, now they've stopped paying rent and won't return calls. I'm going back next sunday. Can I just walk in and ask them to leave? I was living there for a while after I got possession and before they (niece/boyfriend) moved it, and our verbal agreement was that I would be living there with them, but going back and forth to the UK to care for my mother. Haven't been there for about 6 weeks now.

Any suggestions very much welcomed. Thanks.

It's my understanding that if there's no contract in place, and you have keys for your place (and they haven't changed the locks), then YES you can just walk in and take it back.

I would be careful though, take some large, men with you as well in case anything 'kicks off'. Also, be prepared to change the locks straight away.

Unfortunately, you will probably get stung for all the outstanding bills.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

It's my understanding that if there's no contract in place, and you have keys for your place (and they haven't changed the locks), then YES you can just walk in and take it back.

I would be careful though, take some large, men with you as well in case anything 'kicks off'. Also, be prepared to change the locks straight away.

Unfortunately, you will probably get stung for all the outstanding bills.

Best of luck!
Thanks for that. They've only been there for a couple of months, and alone for 6 weeks; I said that I'd pay the electric until I left, so no major damage done. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. The previous poster said 'without a contract, an assumed LAU contract will be in place'. Could be a tricky one. Who said, you can choose your friends, but not your family!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:06 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by avocados
Total Rubbish and above all demonstrates utter ignorance.

If no contract, a standard contract under L.A.U. is assumed.
Are you sure? My lawyer says otherwise!

The police were incorrect, but what do you expect.

Also, tenancy law in Spain is balanced fairly evenly between Tenant and Landlord. Unfortunately, the vast majority of landlords are operating ILLEGALLY, without the proper licences, not paying taxes, no regard for health and safety, etc.
IMO utter drivel - the tenants still have far too much power. As a legal landlord, declaring everything and paying taxes etc. I am still amazed at how few rights I have. Tenants can stop paying bills, including rent, and I then can get NOTHING back. I have even tried taking them to court to get the outstanding monies but the courts weren't interested!

Cutting elec and water is illegal and amounts to coercion, which is a crime.
I agree with this one - but when they openly abuse the system, I have been sorely tempted!

So the tenant should have denounced the landlord and you should have denounced the police for given out incorrect and potentially damaging information.

Luckily for the landlord, that the tenants didn't know their rights!!!
responses above in line