Insurance medical help.

Insurance medical help.

Old Jun 12th 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

tommo121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance medical help.

Hi, im am moving to spain in 3 weeks to go live with my sister,
and was wondering what sort of insurance would cover me, as i have Epilepsy
and have sometimes during a seizure gained a nasty cut or bang.
I am not staying full time only for a rough stay of 6 months.

Thanks
Tom
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance medical help.

Originally Posted by tommo121

Thanks
Tom
hi

for the first 90 days you will be covered by your EHIC card as a tourist (assuming you are an EU citizen) - after that you should register as resident so can't use it

a couple of questions

do you get a pension in the UK?

are you currently paying NI in the UK?

this post I made a while ago might help you

are you a British citizen? (or EU )

if no, you can't get state healthcare in Spain unless you pay into the system - in fact you stand little to no chance of getting a resident visa in Spain

if yes, read on...

will you be getting a state pension from the UK?

if yes, then contact the DWP in Newcastle & ask for an S1 - you can plug into the state healthcare system here that way

if no, have you paid NI contributions in the UK?

if yes, then contact the DWP in Newcastle & ask for an S1 - you can plug into the state healthcare system here that way for up to 2 years if you have paid enough contributions

if no, then you would need private health ins. here in Spain, or be paying into the state system by way of NI contributions via employment
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:19 am
Just Joined

tommo121 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, only 22 and went to uni and haven't got a pension
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

hi, only 22 and went to uni and haven't got a pension
you'd need private medical insurance then I'm afraid, after the 90 days

couldn't you just have a 3 month holiday instead, and then another one later in the year/next year?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you'd need private medical insurance then I'm afraid, after the 90 days

couldn't you just have a 3 month holiday instead, and then another one later in the year/next year?

Private insurance is unlikely to cover him for epilepsy though is it?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Tom
Unlikely to get cover for existing conditions so best to get UK travel insurance if at all possible.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Private insurance is unlikely to cover him for epilepsy though is it?
Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Unlikely to get cover for existing conditions so best to get UK travel insurance if at all possible.
good point both...........

which is why I suggested 2 shorter hols
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
The medical element of a travel insurance policy is also almost certain to exclude cover for pre-existing conditions such as epilepsy, unfortunately. At the very least the OP should contact the insurance company before taking out a policy to check, otherwise he could be paying for a policy which would not pay out when he needed it to.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

for the first 90 days you will be covered by your EHIC card as a tourist (assuming you are an EU citizen) - after that you should register as resident so can't use it
Signing on the register of foreigners does not make you a resident but more to the point it certainly does not stop you using the EHIC card.

The UK issues EHIC cards to anyone who is "ordinarily resident" in the UK. Tom will almost certainly be considered "ordinarily resident" in the UK for the period that he is in Spain.

Considering that he will have full cover under the EHIC for any treatment needed while in Spain that would seem to be his best option.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Signing on the register of foreigners does not make you a resident but more to the point it certainly does not stop you using the EHIC card.

The UK issues EHIC cards to anyone who is "ordinarily resident" in the UK. Tom will almost certainly be considered "ordinarily resident" in the UK for the period that he is in Spain.

Considering that he will have full cover under the EHIC for any treatment needed while in Spain that would seem to be his best option.
but will he???

last year after my dad had been here 3 months the local health centre refused treatment with his EHIC card - they said he had to become resident & get an S1 (actually they asked for the E-whateveritwasyearsago - but they meant S1)

I had already in fact sent off for it so they agreed to treat him - I reckon they owed me anyway for all the free translating I do there every time I walk in
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That's always a risk but they had no right to refuse it.

Just because you stay more than 90 days does not give them the right to refuse it if it has been correctly issued by another member state and where the holder is still UK ordinarily resident.

They get paid for the treatment by the UK so I can't see why they have any right to refuse.

Of course there are many UK EHIC holders who break the rules by continuing to use it well after their UK residence status has changed.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

That's always a risk but they had no right to refuse it.

Just because you stay more than 90 days does not give them the right to refuse it if it has been correctly issued by another member state and where the holder is still UK ordinarily resident.

They get paid for the treatment by the UK so I can't see why they have any right to refuse.

Of course there are many UK EHIC holders who break the rules by continuing to use it well after their UK residence status has changed.

in the event they didn't refuse - & I'm sure they wouldn't have done in an emergency at all

but does anyone really knowwhen residence status changes?

according to Spain you're meant to register as resident after 90 days

for tax, it's half a year............

I wish they'd just sort it all out once & for all

we all know people who live here all year, yet go back to the UK for medical treatment - don't sign on the padrón or register as resident - let alone make tax declarations
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:27 pm

but does anyone really knowwhen residence status changes?

according to Spain you're meant to register as resident after 90 days

for tax, it's half a year.
The only legal form of residence that exists is fiscal residence - the 183 day rule and all that.

The certificate of registration is a complete red herring. It does not make you a resident - it gives you the "right" of residency under EU law - that's all. It gives you the right to stay in Spain for more than 90 days at a time.

Your fiscal residency status is defined by your physical presence - not by an application form.

No wonder everyone gets confused about it.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

The only legal form of residence that exists is fiscal residence - the 183 day rule and all that.

The certificate of registration is a complete red herring. It does not make you a resident - it gives you the "right" of residency under EU law - that's all. It gives you the right to stay in Spain for more than 90 days at a time.

Your fiscal residency status is defined by your physical presence - not by an application form.

No wonder everyone gets confused about it.

But on the front line, the green paper is now being used to decide your entitlement to health cover. INSS has taken over from centro salud to determine "sin recurso" entitlement, for instance. They are linked in with Hacienda.

The question is.........how and what action Hacienda will take to enforce the rules. In other words, at a point in the future, post treatment, will Hacienda decide that a patient really wasn't resident due to lack of fiscal residency status.

EHIC will no doubt cover the OP.

It should also be noted that EHIC will only cover a person for a maximum of 3 months continuous treatment. After that, strictly speaking you're on your own as you're supposed to go home!!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by avocados
But on the front line, the green paper is now being used to decide your entitlement to health cover. INSS has taken over from centro salud to determine "sin recurso" entitlement, for instance. They are linked in with Hacienda.

The question is.........how and what action Hacienda will take to enforce the rules. In other words, at a point in the future, post treatment, will Hacienda decide that a patient really wasn't resident due to lack of fiscal residency status.

EHIC will no doubt cover the OP.

It should also be noted that EHIC will only cover a person for a maximum of 3 months continuous treatment. After that, strictly speaking you're on your own as you're supposed to go home!!
yes, that's what we were told - my dad had been getting treatment - antibiotics & so on - on a regular basis - to be fair he originally only came for christmas & the docs here told him he was too sick to travel back, so it was a bit of a catch 22 - which is why I got the S1 in the end, just to 'regularise' things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.