Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telling it how it is

Telling it how it is

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling it how it is

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Sometimes the peasants are wiser than the advisers, especially in these abnormal times,when there is little advantage leaving money in the bank at easy access rates as low as one tenth of one percent and longer term rates little better after tax.
Your 10% norm is just pie in the sky now, and for the forseeable future.
As discussed elsewhere many ppl.quite understandably stay outside the system and prefer to keep their funds that way.
Apart from avoiding tax, many have good reason not to trust the banks and as long as they are confident of security, they have no great worries.
In addition they can pass it on quite easily to whoever they wish when their time is up, without the taxman, lawyers,advisors,uncle tom cobley and all thieving a major slice.
If they do wish to invest, why not just use basic common sense, instead of feathering the nest of all these hangers on who are little more than petty thieves and are always keen to grab their commision and share the profits, but never ever the losses.
Let the buggers get out and work for a living like every bugger else.
In my experience, it doesn't need Sherlock Holmes to tell when the property, land and other markets have bottomed out and recovery has begun.
I've said it before,. But it bears repeating. The property is at it's right price, when the person expected to buy it earns three times what the mortgage will cost him. Until that level is reached. Prices will continue to fall.
There are loads of variables (such as second homes etc) which will make one home worth more, and one less but overall this rule holds true.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr View Post
I've said it before,. But it bears repeating. The property is at it's right price, when the person expected to buy it earns three times what the mortgage will cost him. Until that level is reached. Prices will continue to fall.
There are loads of variables (such as second homes etc) which will make one home worth more, and one less but overall this rule holds true.
Should have quoted my charges for this advice. Nothing!! But all donations.................
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr View Post
Yes I agree, can't wait until an average family house in Andalucia costs 60k euros!

On the other hand, I am going to lose a fortune on my London flat
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:17 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
Yes I agree, can't wait until an average family house in Andalucia costs 60k euros!

On the other hand, I am going to lose a fortune on my London flat
Unfortunately I can't see London prices dropping much (if at all). The market there is distorted by bankers earning £1m+ a year, rich Russians and Mid-East despots, MPs etc etc. This is actually true to some extent in most capitals.
Also, if you have a 4 bedroom house, you can rent out each room to migrants and so earn far more than the mortgage would be for a house only costing 3 times the average income.