Reload this Page >

Television in Spain

Television in Spain

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

WinnJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Television in Spain

Hi All

As a new member of the Costa Esuri community, I was just wondering if anybody could advise me on TV & internet. I will be spending approximately 6 weeks a year in Costa Esuri over several individual visits, but need to keep my 14 year old daughter entertained!! I would welcome any suggestions in regard to television or Wi-Fi which may be cheap solutions.

Many thanks
Jon
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Television in Spain

Wynn, If you check back over the topics there are hundreds of posts on this topic. Currently the most obvious choice for internet would be Priinet. Cost is 20 euros per month and after the initial 3 months you can reduce service to 7 euros per month when not there. I seem to recall the installation /equipment fee is about 80 odd euros.You can then stream tv over your smart tv. Most brits have found the Samsung internet engine to be best for compatabilty. The LG tvs are more awkward to use apparently. There is also the option of pinching a satelite broadcast for basic brit tv. Very clear via a small dish. You need to pm me for more details as strictly speaking it is not for public access.

No doubt, lots of other forum members will provide other options like dongles etc. Hope that helps. Keith
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

You can still get the Sky subscription channels via satellite provided you have a Sky box and card, unfortunately this would not include most of the Freesat channels eg BBC, ITV Ch4 Ch5 etc. For these you will need to view them over the internet.

Smart TV apps will give you access to Iplayer, ITV player etc. for catch-up programs. However these channels are geo-blocked and so you will need a DNS proxy or a VPN service (there's loads of info about these all over the site). BTW, I have a Samsung Smart Blu-Ray player and a Smart LG TV (recent model with the latest WebOS) and both work equally well for me.

For live TV then your best bet is one of the Filmon services - again many options and many posts on this topic. Personally I like Camposat but it has been having its problems just lately.

But you will need an internet connection. There are very few WiFi hotspots on Costa Esuri - the shop and the Golf Club both have WiFi.

So as others have indicated - Priinet offer a wimax service - ie broadband wirelessly transmitted to a small aerial on your roof - although you do need to be near line-of-sight with the transmitter masts (one near the fish farm and one on Las Colinas). Priinet will provide the aerial/transponder and a wifi router so you will get personal wifi in your apartment. You then connect your TV or STB wirelessly. Have a google for their web site.

Of course you can go all out and get a landline from Movistar!

Rumour has it that fibre optic cables and 4G are on their way but if we have to wait as long as we have for the Marina and Waterpark then we are in for a long wait
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mike

Originally Posted by MikeJ
You can still get the Sky subscription channels via satellite provided you have a Sky box and card, unfortunately this would not include most of the Freesat channels eg BBC, ITV Ch4 Ch5 etc. For these you will need to view them over the internet.

Smart TV apps will give you access to Iplayer, ITV player etc. for catch-up programs. However these channels are geo-blocked and so you will need a DNS proxy or a VPN service (there's loads of info about these all over the site). BTW, I have a Samsung Smart Blu-Ray player and a Smart LG TV (recent model with the latest WebOS) and both work equally well for me.

For live TV then your best bet is one of the Filmon services - again many options and many posts on this topic. Personally I like Camposat but it has been having its problems just lately.

But you will need an internet connection. There are very few WiFi hotspots on Costa Esuri - the shop and the Golf Club both have WiFi.

So as others have indicated - Priinet offer a wimax service - ie broadband wirelessly transmitted to a small aerial on your roof - although you do need to be near line-of-sight with the transmitter masts (one near the fish farm and one on Las Colinas). Priinet will provide the aerial/transponder and a wifi router so you will get personal wifi in your apartment. You then connect your TV or STB wirelessly. Have a google for their web site.

Of course you can go all out and get a landline from Movistar!

Rumour has it that fibre optic cables and 4G are on their way but if we have to wait as long as we have for the Marina and Waterpark then we are in for a long wait
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Keith

Originally Posted by keithBT
Wynn, If you check back over the topics there are hundreds of posts on this topic. Currently the most obvious choice for internet would be Priinet. Cost is 20 euros per month and after the initial 3 months you can reduce service to 7 euros per month when not there. I seem to recall the installation /equipment fee is about 80 odd euros.You can then stream tv over your smart tv. Most brits have found the Samsung internet engine to be best for compatabilty. The LG tvs are more awkward to use apparently. There is also the option of pinching a satelite broadcast for basic brit tv. Very clear via a small dish. You need to pm me for more details as strictly speaking it is not for public access.

No doubt, lots of other forum members will provide other options like dongles etc. Hope that helps. Keith
Old Dec 6th 2016, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

If you get an Internet connection eg via Priinet then you could run KODI on one of a range of devices, eg, Android box (try M8S), Amazon Firestick, PC running Windows (desktop or laptop) - see Devices - Official Kodi Wiki for list.

Quite a few people successfully use Android boxes.

Regards
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Fred

Originally Posted by Fred R
If you get an Internet connection eg via Priinet then you could run KODI on one of a range of devices, eg, Android box (try M8S), Amazon Firestick, PC running Windows (desktop or laptop) - see Devices - Official Kodi Wiki for list.

Quite a few people successfully use Android boxes.

Regards
Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Saycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you buying a new tv or do you already have one? I changed my TV today and bought a new smart tv from carrefour. Can send info on how to change apps to english and get all the bbciplayer etc using wifi and a new smart tv
Old Dec 21st 2016, 5:00 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saycheese
Can send info on how to change apps to english and get all the bbciplayer etc using wifi and a new smart tv
Well first of all you will need a vpn or smarttdns service to make it look that yo are connecting from the UK and not Spain, otherwise most of the UK "apps" will not work.
That said many vpns and dns services are being blocked by the likes of iplayer hub all4 my5 netflix wtc....
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Fiberite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi saycheese
I would be very interested in that info also.
Many thanks
Fiberite
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Saycheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Ok here is a rough guide to what i did. I bought a samsung 6000 series TV from carrefour. It was to replace another samsung tv which i had working using the same system. You have to make sure the tv has wifi. This is the one I bought. You obviously also need wifi in your apartment.

TV LED 43” Samsung 43KU6000, UHD 4K, Smart TV| Las mejores ofertas de Carrefour

When you set it up you select English as your language, Spain as your country, and scan for Spanish channels BUT before the screen where you accept the terms and conditions you click

», 2, 8, 9, « (fast forward, 2, 8, 9, rewind). ...

A screen then pops up asking you to select your app country and you click on UK. You then go back to the terms page and accept the terms. This happens automatically.

The tv then has the spanish tv channels but you have UK apps such as BBC Iplayer.

Now to get to use the apps you need to sign up to either a DNS or UPN provider. We use VPN in our router BUT i am thinking of changing it to DNS.

Here is the info on how to set up DNS on the tv

https://support.unlocator.com/custom...tv-and-players

That should do it and your good to go. You can also change the audio to English so the spanish live TV shows the disney channel in ENGLISH. I found it this morning by fiddling it the setting. I went into one of the advanced settings and changed audio to english from Spanish.

I have a movistar router and i followed this to add a VPN. The bonus of this is that any device connected to the wifi gets unblocked so can see UK websites and on demand etc. Handy with kids. The down side is when the electricity goes off you have to reset it. its easy enough but its why i am thinking of DNS

Movistar Homestation Amper ASL 26555 | Broadband in Spain
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the really useful information.
Jon
Old May 29th 2017, 8:07 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if this would work to pick up at least some free UK channels (I know the basics like BBC and ITV won't work): Buy Humax HB-1100S Freesat Box at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Set top boxes, Set top boxes, recorders and satellite, Technology.

Just curious if anyone has tried this box (not spamming - the link is from Argos to just show the basic decoder available).