Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telephone Charges.

Telephone Charges.

Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

pnelancs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Telephone Charges.

Hi, We are making the move to Costa Blanca this year. We need a reliable, cheap telephone service. We currently pay a one off monthly payment to Virgin Media for unlimited uk calls. We will be making around 200 calls from Spain to the UK per day. (Telesales) Any ideas of the costs involved and packages available?

Many Thanks,

K.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone Charges.

Originally Posted by pnelancs
Hi, We are making the move to Costa Blanca this year. We need a reliable, cheap telephone service. We currently pay a one off monthly payment to Virgin Media for unlimited uk calls. We will be making around 200 calls from Spain to the UK per day. (Telesales) Any ideas of the costs involved and packages available?

Many Thanks,

K.
Hi. Don`t want to state the absolute obvious, but are you from Preston?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks,

K.
Baring in mind that Telefonica own the whole telephone infrastructure here, I think that it will cost a fortune. The cheapest way to make calls back to the UK is either by using pre-paid cards and a pin number or using Skype or Voipcheap through a Broadband connection.
I believe that the best that Telefonica offer, is a 15 or 30 minute window in the evenings, with free or cheap calls to a small selection of pre-agreed UK numbers.
Tim
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Yes I am from Preston.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks,

K.
Silly question, but you need to also make sure you can actually get a landline where you are moving to. Our neighbours were on the verge of giving up having waited four years, then suddenly a pole arrived outside their house, then the wires, and just seven months after that they had a landline!

Even then, I suspect that valenciatim is right in that the only way you'll get a cheap call is by using VoIP, which is woefully unsuited to cold calling (where you don't recognise the person on the other end). Even calling cards route over VoIP networks, although that's generally at a higher order and hence more reliable.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Mmmmmm, Does'nt sound too good. I had a look at Voip but can't find any info on using it in Spain to call the UK. Any ideas?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmm, Does'nt sound too good. I had a look at Voip but can't find any info on using it in Spain to call the UK. Any ideas?
VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol, a technology whereby the call is routed through the internet instead of the phone network, using either a PC or an adapted phone connected to it.
As Twyntub has said, you need to make sure that you can have a proper wired telephone line in your property as well.
Using VOIP to call landlines in other countries does cost, but is cheap compared with using normal phone systems.
You would also have to factor in the cost of line rental and a broadband connection.
Tim
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

have a look at voipcheap.com - I use it to call from Spain to UK landlines and its only costs 5c to connect, the actual call is free

but lately the lines have been quite "echoy" so I have had to re-dial a couple of times
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Yes I am from Preston.
That makes 2 of us
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
have a look at voipcheap.com - I use it to call from Spain to UK landlines and its only costs 5c to connect, the actual call is free

but lately the lines have been quite "echoy" so I have had to re-dial a couple of times
Snap on the Mobiles but landlines are not too bad usually.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Snap on the Mobiles but landlines are not too bad usually.
the times Ive used it to call UK mobiles it charges both of us, do you find that ?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

the times Ive used it to call UK mobiles it charges both of us, do you find that ?
I don`t think so cos we phone our son and he usually has no credit anyway. lol
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks,

K.
It might help to have a look here:
http://www.myvoipprovider.com/Direct...oIP_Providers/
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t think so cos we phone our son and he usually has no credit anyway. lol
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:16 am
Just Joined

Pobman is an unknown quantity at this point

I use voiptalk.org , they have a tenner a month package for unlimited calls to most of the world. Used them for about 5 years without issues, though I dont have the unlimited calls package and use pre-pay silver myself.

They have packages for business as well as home, so I am not sure if running a business on their home packages might be against terms and conditions, you should check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.