Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TEFL - A little knowledge .........???

TEFL - A little knowledge .........???

Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default TEFL - A little knowledge .........???

Whilst browsing through some old threads I happened on a great debate about TEFL and the relative merits of it as a qualification. Some people who held the qualification but had no teaching experience floundered when they actually began teaching. Others said that the only worthy qualification was a CELTA but this was not for beginners.

This got me thinking about how to use some of the spare time I will have when I retire to Spain.

I spent a career in the UK Fire Service and a good many years of that career was spent in teaching of one form or another. I have been a tutor in lots of different genres; to young children, WI as the guest speaker, colleagues or people who paid to come on a Fire Warden's course etc.

The thrill of leaving the students with more knowledge then they arrived with always left me with a buzz.

However I wonder if I would have had as much success if I hadn't known my subject inside out.

My question is this, would it be beneficial for me to take a TEFL course that was say 40 hours classroom work and 120 hours online? This is the type of course one can enrol for on the internet.

I would love to be able to teach english; in the beginning as a swap to learn better Spanish but later to earn a bit of pocket money.

I have been learning Spanish part time at an adult education institute for over 2 years now.

What do you think?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:02 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TEFL - A little knowledge .........???

God knows. I thought along those lines too, but on enquiring at a school here,. I was told that they had such teachers coming out of their ears, so I reckoned the work wasn't worth the candle.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

It depends on whether you want to take the job seriously or not.

If you just plan on doing a few private classes in people's homes, mostly conversation based to earn yourself a bit of extra pocket money then you could wag it with any old qualification.

If you plan on seeking a proper job in an academy then any decent academy is going to insist on a proper qualification and that means a CELTA/DELTA. Many academies will also insist on a minimum of 2 years experience too, but not all.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

I was not thinking of getting a proper job, but I do like to do things properly and wondered whether a TEFL course would give me a string to my bow. Or maybe I would be wasting my time and money?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:48 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Around here there are TEFL teachers who haven't taught anyone for years. I asked the head of English at the local International school (who is a friend) if it would be worthwhile for me to do and he just told me it would be a waste of time. Lots of his colleagues and colleagues' partners have TEFL and none of them can get any work - in peoples homes, at school, anywhere.

I'm not too far from bil who has the same view - it might be different in other parts of Spain I suppose...
Old Mar 16th 2011, 9:15 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
I was not thinking of getting a proper job, but I do like to do things properly and wondered whether a TEFL course would give me a string to my bow. Or maybe I would be wasting my time and money?
Especially if you are not thinking seriously about gatting a job, I'd rate it as a waste of time. It might be that where you go there is a shortage of teachers, but even then, I'd give it a miss.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stevesainty
If you are not thinking of getting a proper job then I would save your money.

A proper (eg, Cambridge) course is going to set you back circa 1000 pounds/euros. A mickey mouse course will no doubt be a lot cheaper, but I think they are a total con. Not worth the paper they are written on. Anyone who knows anything about the industry would scoff at that type of qualfication.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh, and regarding demand for English teachers.....it depends hugely on where you are. I imagine that if you frequent a typical Spanish costa with loads of other Brits then you'll have a lot of competition and it could be difficult to find work.

However, in my city there is a lot of demand for private 1:1 teachers, mostly for conversation classes. It's very, very, very difficult for the Spanish to track us down and even unqualified "teachers" have no difficulty in finding private work.

It's a different story if you want to work in an academy though....a proper qualification is a must.