Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TEFL - which was the definitive thread?

TEFL - which was the definitive thread?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default TEFL - which was the definitive thread?

Sorry I'm all searched out... have a Spanish teacher looking to be coached towards an interchange interview. He seems happy for me to be the one, I'm happy for him to give my 9yo apoyo in exchange. It brought up the subject of TEFL in conversation at home. Have to admit I'm a bit out of touch. Well a lot out of touch. There's been a lot of mention of TEFL qualifications, and not taking the speedy ones, etc., but do you have to have a degree to start with? Be any kind of teacher? I'm not questioning whether or not having the piece of paper would make you a good teacher at the end of the day, just actually obtaining it. Are there other qualifications, for example, which might be relevant/accepted towards it, such as Oxford Proficiency/Use of English and the like?
Oh, and to the thread title, if there was an obviously definitive thread, can someone link to it!!!

Failed to say I'm not a teacher and have told him that up front.

Last edited by fionamw; Oct 25th 2011 at 7:35 pm. Reason: duh.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TEFL - which was the definitive thread?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Sorry I'm all searched out... have a Spanish teacher looking to be coached towards an interchange interview. He seems happy for me to be the one, I'm happy for him to give my 9yo apoyo in exchange. It brought up the subject of TEFL in conversation at home. Have to admit I'm a bit out of touch. Well a lot out of touch. There's been a lot of mention of TEFL qualifications, and not taking the speedy ones, etc., but do you have to have a degree to start with? Be any kind of teacher? I'm not questioning whether or not having the piece of paper would make you a good teacher at the end of the day, just actually obtaining it. Are there other qualifications, for example, which might be relevant/accepted towards it, such as Oxford Proficiency/Use of English and the like?
Oh, and to the thread title, if there was an obviously definitive thread, can someone link to it!!!

Failed to say I'm not a teacher and have told him that up front.
I have sent you a mesage on FB - but simply put - no, you don't need any previous experience or teaching quals to study & pass any sort of TEFL qual - although of course the actual teaching will be easier if you have previous teaching experience
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I have sent you a mesage on FB - but simply put - no, you don't need any previous experience or teaching quals to study & pass any sort of TEFL qual - although of course the actual teaching will be easier if you have previous teaching experience
Thanks Lynn. Having done some brief research it seems I could take a degree and TEFL and all the other FLs in the time it takes to be sure if I've got the right bits of paper
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Thanks Lynn. Having done some brief research it seems I could take a degree and TEFL and all the other FLs in the time it takes to be sure if I've got the right bits of paper
honestly - if you're just going to do this one-to-one, & not planning on setting up in business, or applying for a job in a good academy - don't bother

your experience & knowledge of the English language is probably far greater than anything needed to pass any kind of TEFL course
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

If you're planning a career in TEFL then either the CELTA or Trinity qualifications are necessary. You should have a degree to be accepted on these courses. However, if you can show that you have a good educational background you may be accepted on a course. There are plenty of 'mickey mouse' TEFL courses but they're not accepted by the better EFL academies.