Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Techno question re TDT HD

Techno question re TDT HD

Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Techno question re TDT HD

A scan using my "none HD enabled" TDT Sunstech scart TDT receiver picked up the new Canal sur HD channel on chan 60 ( 786 MHZ) albeit in audio only.

So I thought that a scan using my Panasonic TH-42PX7E TV with integrated (HD Ready) DVB would open the channel. However a Tv scan using either auto or manual scan finds every channel on 786MHZ except Canal sur HD
Both signal strength and quality are 100% on this frequency. So why does the HD chan not come up ??

Any ideas?

ps. I'm in Sevilla province. but using the Cordoba transmitter as it provides a stronger signal.
Anyone else in Andalucia receiving this chan?

Last edited by big wheels; Apr 10th 2010 at 12:08 am. Reason: ps added.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:25 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Techno question re TDT HD

A HD Ready TV still needs to get the HD signal from a HD TDT Tuner.

A HD TV will have a built in HD TDT tuner.

Thats the difference between HD Ready and a HD TV.

And s thats why your HD Ready TV cannot show the Canal9 HD channel - it does not have the HD tuner in it!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

So what you're saying is that the TV manufacturers conned us all into thinking that "HD ready" meant that when broadcasters started HD transmisions, the TV would be ready to receive them.

When in truth they are not ready at all?

Last edited by big wheels; Apr 10th 2010 at 8:38 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:46 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

HD Ready TVs are ready to allow you to plug in a HD appliance (HD sat Box, HD TDT box, Blu Ray) via the HDMI and DV connoectors and watch HD on them

(Most) HDTVs have built in HD digital tuners and allow the viewing of HD TDT channels without the need for a seperate HD TDT box.

So no the manufacturers are not conningyou - their TVs are HD Ready - you just have to supply the "HD source" (different to HP sauce!)
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:08 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
So what you're saying is that the TV manufacturers conned us all into thinking that "HD ready" meant that when broadcasters started HD transmisions, the TV would be ready to receive them.

When in truth they are not ready at all?
You and me both mate.....I thought I had TDT in the telly and when they switched off all the analogue channels this week I lost pretty much everything.......on the pluss side I don't have to sit through all the gossip crap on Telecinco or Antena3 that the OH usualy watches

Originally Posted by The Guy
HD Ready TVs are ready to allow you to plug in a HD appliance (HD sat Box, HD TDT box, Blu Ray) via the HDMI and DV connoectors and watch HD on them

(Most) HDTVs have built in HD digital tuners and allow the viewing of HD TDT channels without the need for a seperate HD TDT box.

So no the manufacturers are not conningyou - their TVs are HD Ready - you just have to supply the "HD source" (different to HP sauce!)
Bit missleading though isn't it? I thought mine had it in.......so what sort of price is a HD TDT box? I'm pretty much limited to El Corte Ingles here for electrical goods.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Bit missleading though isn't it? I thought mine had it in.......so what sort of price is a HD TDT box? I'm pretty much limited to El Corte Ingles here for electrical goods.
There are not many around at the moment - mainly as there is only 1 HD channel available at the moment. Later in the year more HD models will be available.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Techno question re TDT HD

There are not many around at the moment - mainly as there is only 1 HD channel available at the moment. Later in the year more HD models will be available.
OK so I have a Panasonic plasma freest HD TV which has a digital freeview tuner and the freesat tuner. I know the freesat HD side works cause I watch BBC and ITV HD programmes thro the sat dish. If I erect an external digital aerial will I be able to tune the TDT channel plus the HD Cannnels?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
OK so I have a Panasonic plasma freest HD TV which has a digital freeview tuner and the freesat tuner. I know the freesat HD side works cause I watch BBC and ITV HD programmes thro the sat dish. If I erect an external digital aerial will I be able to tune the TDT channel plus the HD Cannnels?
We get UK ones off Sky dish.
We also used to get the Spanish digital off a cable connection but they recently cut it off cos no one was paying the dues, but don`t know about the HD channel.
I am going to get an aerial cos I miss the football we used to get on the Spanish digi.
If it is and HD TV then we should pick them up I assume.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Techno Techno Techno!

Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
It is known that some Freeview branded tuners do not work 100% with non Freeview signals.
ie Spanish TV uses frequency channel 69 - UK does not..so some Freeview boxes are incapable of scanning that channel!

But if you set up an aerial, and possibly a masthead amplifier and power supply, then you should get some of the TDT channels.
Again, there is only one HD channels transmitting at the moment in limited areas so I cannot say if you will or will not get that - as it may or may not be on your transmitter. In fact not all tansmitters actually have all TDT channels!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
I am going to get an aerial cos I miss the football we used to get on the Spanish digi.
If it is and HD TV then we should pick them up I assume.
If it is UK Premier League, then that is on TVE (La 2 and Teledeporte) for the rest of this season.
Then next year it is on D+ and Gol TV - both subscription.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If it is UK Premier League, then that is on TVE (La 2 and Teledeporte) for the rest of this season.
Then next year it is on D+ and Gol TV - both subscription.
Thanks, so not good news, but will still get the Spanish games.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:33 am
Just Joined

ColinRoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Will a UK flat screen TV work in Spain.
Ta
Colin
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by ColinRoy
Will a UK flat screen TV work in Spain.
Ta
Colin
Yes.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:13 am

Most TVs work in most countries....the only issue for som eis power - like USA appliances use different electric levels.

The TV will work with any appliance ou conenct to the TV via a SCART or HDMI cable.

Most UK TVs will also work with the free digital terrestrial TDT digital spanish TV signals - but there may be some limitations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.