Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Spain

Teaching in Spain

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Neelam is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Teaching in Spain

I am in the process of applying for my Canadian PR and am in Canada right now on a working holiday visa. The problem that I have is that my PR application can take up to two years for them to process (will be submitting the application to Buffalo, NY) and I can gaurantee that they wouldnt have processed it by the time my visa expires (feb. 2007), so I am planning to come to Spain to teach English until I get my Canadian PR through, as it is difficult for me to get another work permit here and my employer cannot sponsor me as they need to prove that there is no Canadian to do my job (I cannot bear the thought of going back to the UK now). I dont have a university degree, but I have a GNVQ Business Studies and a 2 year Diploma in Media with Journalism. I understand that mostly the requirement to teach English is that you need a degree. Does anyone know if there is anyway that it is still possible to obtain work as an English teacher in Spain without a degree? I am hoping that my Journalism experience will serve me well (I used to work for the BBC). If anyone has any idea, would really appreciate your help!! Thanks...
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:56 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Spain

Originally Posted by Neelam
I am in the process of applying for my Canadian PR and am in Canada right now on a working holiday visa. The problem that I have is that my PR application can take up to two years for them to process (will be submitting the application to Buffalo, NY) and I can gaurantee that they wouldnt have processed it by the time my visa expires (feb. 2007), so I am planning to come to Spain to teach English until I get my Canadian PR through, as it is difficult for me to get another work permit here and my employer cannot sponsor me as they need to prove that there is no Canadian to do my job (I cannot bear the thought of going back to the UK now). I dont have a university degree, but I have a GNVQ Business Studies and a 2 year Diploma in Media with Journalism. I understand that mostly the requirement to teach English is that you need a degree. Does anyone know if there is anyway that it is still possible to obtain work as an English teacher in Spain without a degree? I am hoping that my Journalism experience will serve me well (I used to work for the BBC). If anyone has any idea, would really appreciate your help!! Thanks...
A degree is definitely not REQUIRED although might be considered a plus. The most important thing is that you have a TEFL qualification such as a CELTA. There is too much competition from fellow brits to get a good job in a good school/acadamy without the CELTA. Any decent academy worth its salt will insist upon it.

You can do the CELTA on a crash course for one month here in Spain. For example try:

http://www.cactustefl.com/tefl/course.php?course_id=820
http://www.clic.es/celta_courses.php

Best of luck
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Neelam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Spain

Thanks Keith, I really appreciate that...

Originally Posted by keithwalters
A degree is definitely not REQUIRED although might be considered a plus. The most important thing is that you have a TEFL qualification such as a CELTA. There is too much competition from fellow brits to get a good job in a good school/acadamy without the CELTA. Any decent academy worth its salt will insist upon it.

You can do the CELTA on a crash course for one month here in Spain. For example try:

http://www.cactustefl.com/tefl/course.php?course_id=820
http://www.clic.es/celta_courses.php

Best of luck