Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Teaching English as an Autonomo

Teaching English as an Autonomo

Old May 30th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching English as an Autonomo

My wife and I registered as autónomos as soon as we arrived in Spain as we had been warned in no uncertain terms of the dire consequences of being caught working illegally. At that time you could be deported!

The monthly quota was the the equivalent of about €80 per month each but we were told that we would not start paying for three months. We naively thought that this meant that we had three months to get on our feet and build up our respective businesses but it came as a bit of a shock to get a social security bill for nearly €500 after the three month period. What we hadn't realised was that, although we would not start paying for three months, we would also have to pay the backlog.

It really is a bit of a struggle at first but, luckily, we already owned our own property and had brought a large reserve fund with us which we had to delve into but it is far better than having constantly to look over your shoulder. As far as I am concerned anyone caught working here illegally deserves all they get.

Last edited by Beachcomber; May 30th 2008 at 11:11 am.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:22 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fred James
tax now starts at 20%
This is a pretty blanket statement, but... what really happens is quarterly you pay Hacienda 20% of your gross earnings (Renta) minus any IRPF discounts you have given, plus any IRPF discounts you have received. At the end of the year you submit a tax return and this often leaves Hacienda owing you a sizeable sum of money which they credit your bank account with a couple of weeks later. Don't forget there is also IVA (VAT) to be collected and paid if the service you are offering requires this (education may be exempt).

Last edited by bokeh; May 30th 2008 at 2:24 pm.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:31 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

My wife and I registered as autónomos as soon as we arrived in Spain as we had been warned in no uncertain terms of the dire consequences of being caught working illegally. At that time you could be deported!
Sorry this is Spain your referring to right, nothing could be further from the truth.

A good half of all English teachers are Americans and all here illegality. I taught for over a year without a work permit and still do. All the large agencies pay cash in hand. Matter of fact many don't want to give you a contract as they must pay the SS costs.

if you have a EU passport you only need a SS number (which is free) to work. You do need a residency permit but that can come latter.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions

I'm not sure about the rest of Spain but there is more work than you can shake a stick at in Madrid. Problem is earning enough money to live on. Most agencies pay cash 16 -18 an hour and it's hard to get more than 15 hours a week.

If your EU several schools offer 9 month work contracts which pay around 1200 a month (1100 take home). You need to do the flat share though, rent start at about 900 a month for anything decent.

If your young single and a bit adventurous teaching English is an easy way to get to Spain.

Just a note on being autónomo. Not worth the hassle, every agency will offer you a work contract. It's hard to earn enough after the agency takes it's cut off the top to pay the costs associated with being autonomo.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
Sorry this is Spain your referring to right, nothing could be further from the truth.
Yes, Spain pre-1986 before it was a member of the EU and I can assure you that working without a work permit at that time could see you on your way without too much formality.

Having read the 'advice' in your post I don't think I would be PMming you with any questions even if I had any!
Old May 30th 2008, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
..... I taught for over a year without a work permit and still do. ....
I guess this goes hand in hand with having your DE registered car impounded for being here too long on DE plates. You can push your luck so far but there is always a limit. In my experience it only takes one or two aggrieved people to spill the beans on you if you are a bit iffy so always best to gamble wisely.
Old May 31st 2008, 6:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
I guess this goes hand in hand with having your DE registered car impounded for being here too long on DE plates. You can push your luck so far but there is always a limit. In my experience it only takes one or two aggrieved people to spill the beans on you if you are a bit iffy so always best to gamble wisely.
And not post it on an open forum.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:03 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest Madrid to start, get a school based job - you'll be used and abused for little money but it'll be great for experience whilst u hone your teaching and your Spanish skills. From here you get to know other people in similar situations and learn some other tricks of the trade. Once these doors are opened up for u there's no reason why u can't earn decent money - in under three years doing Madrid me & missus earned enough to open own academy on coast.
My method was to start in a shitty school paying only 900 a month with 30 contact hours (high) but on books, with between 12-16 further lucrative business class hours black. Soon ditched the school to work for agency full time for as many hours as I wanted but at €25-30 the hour with my autonomo paid (tax no) apart. And this was 7 years ago.
You can in my opinion make as much money out of teaching in Madrid as u wish
Old May 31st 2008, 10:11 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Yes, Spain pre-1986 before it was a member of the EU and I can assure you that working without a work permit at that time could see you on your way without too much formality.

Having read the 'advice' in your post I don't think I would be PMming you with any questions even if I had any!
I guess I was lucky then. From 82-87 I did everything from Tutor kids thru adults, taught at an established academy and did other odd jobs...painting houses, venta ambulente etc and was never once asked about any documents...and as a 6'3'' blond haired blue eyed yank I did stand out a bit.