Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Teaching B1 English

Teaching B1 English

Old Nov 17th 2014, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching B1 English

Hi. I know there are a few English teachers out there both with and without TEFL TESOL etc. I seem to have got myself a job teaching adults in the local area because of my results with the local children and a couple of adults. I don't have a specific qualification but I do teach adults routinely (crafts admittedly) and am actually more comfortable teaching adults. Before we go through all the negative comments about not having qualifications ....again.... I just need to say I'm a pretty good motivational teacher and in my opinion that's even more important. However I recognise my failings and, like most English people don't have a full grasp of the terminology applied to my own grammar. Nor do I know all the exams that comprise the B1. It seems that some of the students will want to take B1 so I need to do some learning myself and especially get myself a very good B1 teacher's handbook. Anyone got any recommendations? I don't want to spend loads of money on stacks of books. just a good simple guide to the B1 exam.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all
Default Re: Teaching B1 English

Angie here is the expected outcomes for B1 level -

Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) - English levels along with some tests at B1 level..B1 level English language practice tests

Firstly you need to ask what the needs of your students are? If its communication with Foreigners either on a personal or business level then there are a range of things that you should aim for. IF its purely communication then that's what you focus on...everyday conversation ..books like Lets Talk 1, 2, or 3 are easily available for FREE download on the internet ), and using them in conjunction with basic Vocabulary books PLUS videos, again all widely available on the internet then there you have a 15 week course - using Lets Talk 1. The next 15 week course uses Lets Talk 2 and so on .These courses can be 3 hours a week ...
For more demanding adults, who may need business English and writing such as emails, presentations etc, then its a bit more demanding ..books suitable here may include Language Leader, Market Leader, Cutting Edge, New English File...all at elementary level but there are many many books out there, as I said it all depends on your students needs and motivation
As you can see nowhere did I mention Grammar ..... remember how you learned your language - vocabulary and repetition first, then maybe 6 years later the rules of the language....If they just want conversational English, then mistakes are ok...if its Academic English then you have to be a bit more picky. Also remember to ask them to read every day - websites etc and also listen to English everyday - NOT TV or films, they are not good ways to improve your listening - gap fill exercises, or gist exercises are the best..loads of materials on the net ....Good luck

This may also be helpful - http://cambridgeb1.org/features
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigonjack
Angie here is the expected outcomes for B1 level -

Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) - English levels along with some tests at B1 level..B1 level English language practice tests

Firstly you need to ask what the needs of your students are? If its communication with Foreigners either on a personal or business level then there are a range of things that you should aim for. IF its purely communication then that's what you focus on...everyday conversation ..books like Lets Talk 1, 2, or 3 are easily available for FREE download on the internet ), and using them in conjunction with basic Vocabulary books PLUS videos, again all widely available on the internet then there you have a 15 week course - using Lets Talk 1. The next 15 week course uses Lets Talk 2 and so on .These courses can be 3 hours a week ...
For more demanding adults, who may need business English and writing such as emails, presentations etc, then its a bit more demanding ..books suitable here may include Language Leader, Market Leader, Cutting Edge, New English File...all at elementary level but there are many many books out there, as I said it all depends on your students needs and motivation
As you can see nowhere did I mention Grammar ..... remember how you learned your language - vocabulary and repetition first, then maybe 6 years later the rules of the language....If they just want conversational English, then mistakes are ok...if its Academic English then you have to be a bit more picky. Also remember to ask them to read every day - websites etc and also listen to English everyday - NOT TV or films, they are not good ways to improve your listening - gap fill exercises, or gist exercises are the best..loads of materials on the net ....Good luck

This may also be helpful - Features | Cambridge B1 Course Online
Many thanks for this helpful reply. It's a mixed group. Mixed ages, mixed abilities, so firstly I need to find out what each person needs. Because it's a local authority thing I have also to find out more about the organisation and which 'boxes need to be ticked' They are definitely going to want to be able to feed back results. Although the classes will be self-funded the 'organisation' probably is not. So boxes may need to be ticked. I also have to see how I can balance the needs of the beginners with those who want B1 as there are already 12 people signed up! I couldn't agree more about the repetition thing.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Saigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to allSaigonjack is a name known to all

Angie..well anything you need, especially resources, just ask ..You'd be amazed whats on the internet, and as long as you have access to a printer or a good photocopy shop you need never pay for any books again
I'm an IELTS Teacher with 16 years experience in Vietnam, where I live and work, however I was over in Spain 2 weeks ago looking at some property and I'm hoping to return in 3 weeks time...and thats how I found this forum...
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Angie..well anything you need, especially resources, just ask ..You'd be amazed whats on the internet, and as long as you have access to a printer or a good photocopy shop you need never pay for any books again
I'm an IELTS Teacher with 16 years experience in Vietnam, where I live and work, however I was over in Spain 2 weeks ago looking at some property and I'm hoping to return in 3 weeks time...and thats how I found this forum...
Are you going to be moving to Spain or just buying property? Hope I/we on the Spanish forum can help if you need any advice.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

My idea is to buy a property and then in a few years when its retire time to live Martos or close by ....I may move earlier if I can pick up some work at UJaen...but they are slow at replying ..but I think there is work around, and also it can be created, especially Exam preparation, also online teaching is a growing trend...
It seems once a Teacher, then always a T
eacher, as the enjoyment of the challenge and the satisfaction of the student achieving their individual goal never goes away ..
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

There does seem to be a lot of work around as English teachers on our side of the country (The western side). The Government seems to be promoting the idea of 'getting on your bike' to seek work and this means out of the country! Plus, many more local government jobs are demanding a basic level of English even where it's never used. They seem to be churning out twenty somethings who've learned English without ever being able to hold a conversation...And who'll never use it again. What a waste of time. I hope my students will learn that English is a *language* rather than a set of meaningless rules!
Old Nov 18th 2014, 9:53 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of books on Amazon these days ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...3Acambridge+B1
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi Angie...

I'm sure you can motivate the students and they will be grateful for your tenacity. THE problem lies in the fact IMHO that English is taught as a subject so there is no inter connecting relationship with anything except a mark in the exam. In Vietnam its a whole different ball game. Its a way to a better life, better University, better job, better salary, richer husband, more beautiful wive - to put it terms that the average Vnese student will express. Next door in Thailand or close by in Korea and Japan they spend hours and millions on English, but its only ever a school subject.
So because I teach at the high end of English - the exam preparation - for foreign certificates - IELTS/TOEFL/TOEIC/ Cambridge certificates etc, the students demands are obvious - get a score to get me Overseas to study or to enter some of the Foreign Universities in Vietnam, thus they are more motivated, work harder and immensely proud when they are successful. The pay is also pretty damn good )
There has always been a demand in Spain, but from what I am hearing there is a move afoot to bring in English Qualifications at levels so people who apply for jobs have that extra 'soft skill'....so depending on how long I want to stay in Vietnam and if I get any interest on some feelers then who knows what will happen ....as I said the web is an abundant resource...any help just ask..
Gordon (my real name) not the nom-de-plume Saigonjack
Old Nov 19th 2014, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm still having problems understanding the exam levels and how they fit together.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

ALL books are FREE on the internet .....

Angie....not sure I'd be concerned with all those A1/A2 B1/B2 stuff..its basically Beginner - (knows nada!!) False Beginner - (knows a few sentences and vocab, and can ask for basics) High Beginner -( can understand questions,and give a reasonable response, can ask basic questions, can read simple notices, has a vocabulary that can express maybe feeling or emotions or can talk in simple terms about everyday goings-on , Pre-Intermediate - ( decent vocabulary, can have a decent conversation, understands a fair amount of what is being spoken about) Intermediate - ( conversational skills are good, though maybe complex Grammar is wrong, can read and write to a good extent, high vocabulary count ) upper-Intermediate and Advanced are good grammar, complex vocabulary.....

Personally I wouldnt let the levels worry you too much ...you can use Cambridge placement tests but they are NOT good as they are Grammar based, if you want to make sure students are in the correct level. Best thing is to do a lesson or two, do a needs analysis, give them some speaking, reading and listening exercises, THEN chose the materials that is suitable for their needs....I'm out on a wing here, but I'd probably say most would be false beginners to high beginners, and they just want to yada yada...speak/listen/read everyday English
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ALL books are FREE on the internet .....

Angie....not sure I'd be concerned with all those A1/A2 B1/B2 stuff..its basically Beginner - (knows nada!!) False Beginner - (knows a few sentences and vocab, and can ask for basics) High Beginner -( can understand questions,and give a reasonable response, can ask basic questions, can read simple notices, has a vocabulary that can express maybe feeling or emotions or can talk in simple terms about everyday goings-on , Pre-Intermediate - ( decent vocabulary, can have a decent conversation, understands a fair amount of what is being spoken about) Intermediate - ( conversational skills are good, though maybe complex Grammar is wrong, can read and write to a good extent, high vocabulary count ) upper-Intermediate and Advanced are good grammar, complex vocabulary.....

Personally I wouldnt let the levels worry you too much ...you can use Cambridge placement tests but they are NOT good as they are Grammar based, if you want to make sure students are in the correct level. Best thing is to do a lesson or two, do a needs analysis, give them some speaking, reading and listening exercises, THEN chose the materials that is suitable for their needs....I'm out on a wing here, but I'd probably say most would be false beginners to high beginners, and they just want to yada yada...speak/listen/read everyday English
I'd love to think that were true. But I'm afraid they all want qualifications and have a completely different school/college experience of what it means to be working towards those qualifications. Yes, they are mostly what you call false beginners but the first thing most ask is about if, how and when *I'm* going to sign them up to take the exams. I've had to be honest and say I don't yet know how it's done or exactly when/where but I'll find out. But I have to be honest with them and say I'm not a qualified English teacher and there are some things I'll be learning as I go along. I think I'm going to have to tell my 'bosses' they may have to sort the matriculation out or pay me good money to find it all out and do it. This week I've been offered 4 more hours with a local language school. The (English) boss is really nice and may well give me the info I need. I also have a good friend who is an English teacher in the local school so he can help get me up to speed.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Angie....in the 'old days' there were NO books for any of the certificates, only test examples, so it was a case of working backwards and finding out what outcomes were being taught.
Find out exactly what 'qualification' it is that they want and Google to find a book that teaches in the range of the certificate..You get books for PET, for PTE, for FCE...and on and on ..or tell me the 'qualification' and I'll source you a range of books...chances are is that it will be a Cambridge qualification and their website clearly tells you the books that take students up to that level..
Old Nov 19th 2014, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

AND once you know what qualification it is and the exam..the FIRST thing you do is give them the exam and then analyze the results so that you can work out what to focus on ..no use teaching them what they know!!
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right. Been talking with the director of my local Academy who's also giving me some hours of teaching and it seems the only qualification that stands up internationally is the Cambridge one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.