Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taxing question!

Taxing question!

Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taxing question!

If you were to have a portfolio of investments that was declared to the Spanish tax man for wealth tax purposes (they dont create an income, they just go up and down as the banking and financial experts feel appropriate or how the wind is blowing at any particular time), what happens if they are encashed? Sounds like a daft question I guess, but are they suddenly treated as income by the Spanish tax authorities and taxed accordingly? I know the tax free pension lump sum is taxed here, but is realisation of cash from investments?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Ellan_Vannin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taxing question!

I am not sure if there is a Spanish equivalent of Capital Gains Tax as in the UK but if there is I would think that you would be taxed on the capital gain.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 4:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ellan_Vannin
I am not sure if there is a Spanish equivalent of Capital Gains Tax as in the UK but if there is I would think that you would be taxed on the capital gain.
I know you pay CGT on the Spanish home profit under certain circumstances, but as you say not sure about investments
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Now that the wealth tax in Spain is abolished, will investment still be taxed in Spain?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:12 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Now that the wealth tax in Spain is abolished, will investment still be taxed in Spain?
Gawd knows ... all I know is that if they were getting "X" amount from wealth tax and they have abolished it, then they will be looking to recover it from somewhere else.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that allthough wealth tax has been abolished from 1st Jan 2008.
You will still need to submit this year for 2007.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Taxing question!

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I know you pay CGT on the Spanish home profit under certain circumstances, but as you say not sure about investments
A capital gain is a capital gain on houses, pictures,currency,gold bars or shares
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi Jon (Mitzy)
You dont say what type of investments you have so i am assuming it will be an Investment Bond? (I have used UK tax example for ease of explanation.)
If it is then when a "chargeable event" occurs, i,e, an encashment then the gain is added to your income, but you can, mitigate this, by dividing the gain by the number of years you have held the bond. This "slice" is then added to your income. It the "slice" brings your total income into the "higher" rate then you pay 20% on the income, if it does not there is no more tax to pay as the fund has been taxed at the equivalent of basic rate tax.
This is NOT Capital gains tax! If your investment is a "collective" e.g. unit trust then different taxes apply.
I would need to know more about your specific circumstances to give an accurate reply.
Feel free to pm me if you want further details.
LMJ
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

How about the investment is in stock (shares)? I supose you don't need to pay tax until you sell the shares & will be taxed on the gain, is this correct?
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

How about the investment is in stock (shares)? I supose you don't need to pay tax until you sell the shares & will be taxed on the gain, is this correct?

Hi
You are liable for income tax on any dividends, and yes CGT when you come to sell. you have of course your individual CGT allowance. For 2008/2009 its £9600.
Please not these allowances I refer to, assume you are liable to Uk tax.
LMJ
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you were to have a portfolio of investments that was declared to the Spanish tax man for wealth tax purposes (they dont create an income, they just go up and down as the banking and financial experts feel appropriate or how the wind is blowing at any particular time), what happens if they are encashed? Sounds like a daft question I guess, but are they suddenly treated as income by the Spanish tax authorities and taxed accordingly? I know the tax free pension lump sum is taxed here, but is realisation of cash from investments?
If you have declared these investments for wealth tax then they must be pretty large as the threshold for wealth tax is quite high.

CGT is an entirely different issue, and if you sell assets at a profit you will pay CGT. As from this tax year you will only pay 18% tax even if you sell them in the same tax year as you bought then - previously that would have been treated as income and taxed at income tax rates.

There are also indexation allowances based on RPI that apply to these investments when you come to sell them.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:11 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by lmj50
Hi
You are liable for income tax on any dividends, and yes CGT when you come to sell. you have of course your individual CGT allowance. For 2008/2009 its £9600.
Please not these allowances I refer to, assume you are liable to Uk tax.
LMJ
I'm liable for Spanish Tax, not UK tax. Stocks and shares at the moment are not doing particularly well, and therefore there is no gain to talk of since investment

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you have declared these investments for wealth tax then they must be pretty large as the threshold for wealth tax is quite high.

CGT is an entirely different issue, and if you sell assets at a profit you will pay CGT. As from this tax year you will only pay 18% tax even if you sell them in the same tax year as you bought then - previously that would have been treated as income and taxed at income tax rates.

There are also indexation allowances based on RPI that apply to these investments when you come to sell them.
Thanks Fred
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a pm re someone I can recommend who will professionally advise you on this matter