Tax in Spain

Old Feb 24th 2007, 10:17 am
Just Joined

gizmo01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tax in Spain

I intend to move permanently to Spain later this year. At the moment I, of course, pay UK tax and have a UK bank account. All my money is paid by cheque into the account and when I move to Spain I will transfer money into my Spanish bank account from UK bank account regularly. I would rather pay tax in Spain and not in the UK anymore. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax in Spain

I think it depends on if you are earning your money in the UK but I may be completely wrong.

I am sure if you contact someone via the HM Revenue & Customs I am sure they will be able to answer your question:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gizmo01
I intend to move permanently to Spain later this year. At the moment I, of course, pay UK tax and have a UK bank account. All my money is paid by cheque into the account and when I move to Spain I will transfer money into my Spanish bank account from UK bank account regularly. I would rather pay tax in Spain and not in the UK anymore. Does anyone know if this is possible?

As far as I know if you reside in Spain then you become a spanish tax resident and will pay tax in Spain.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gizmo01
I would rather pay tax in Spain and not in the UK anymore. Does anyone know if this is possible?
You will pay tax in Spain.

Once you have registered with the Spanish taxman you can get a form from HMRC which will enable you to have your UK income paid gross.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

gizmo01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks for your replys to my question. That has cleared things up a bit for me.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fred James
You will pay tax in Spain.

Once you have registered with the Spanish taxman you can get a form from HMRC which will enable you to have your UK income paid gross.
Hi Fred James is there benefits to paying your tax in spain rather than GB as you mentioned about get paid gross in spain?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vox populia
Hi Fred James is there benefits to paying your tax in spain rather than GB as you mentioned about get paid gross in spain?
I may be wrong, but I don't think you have a choice once you become a resident ... I didn't think there was an opt out clause.

In general taxes are higher I believe in Spain than in the UK, but for people that have retired and have a relatively low income it tends to take you out of the tax brackets altogether in the UK and Spain. For instance I was of course paying interest on my building society accounts and bank accounts at source, but now I am paying nothing.

You de register for tax in england therefore getting all payments paid gross, and you declare over here using the allowances available to you. Only Gov't pensions are taxed in the Uk then.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 1:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vox populia
There are no benefits of paying tax in Spain - it is not optional and the tax rates are often higher than the UK.

You can only get your UK income paid free of UK tax if you can prove that you are paying the tax in Spain.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have been reading the threads regarding tax, does anyone know of a good gestoria in the Alzira, Cullera, Sueca area who could organise my tax situation. Preferably English speaking, my Spanish is not up to leal level.
Also is it worth while applying for residencia?