Tax question

Old Jan 3rd 2019, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Kevo11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax question

Planning to move to Spain on 28/02/19. If I make a drawdown withdrawal from my UK pension fund in say May (less than 183 days) will this be subject to UK tax or Spanish tax?

If Spanish tax, what personal allowance and tax rate would apply to an amount of €20k? I am 53, single and will not be working.

If Spanish tax, when do I pay it? In the next calendar/tax year ie 01/01/20-31/12/20?

Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question

Once you become tax resident you are deemed to have been resident for the whole year, so really you needed to do it in 2018 as you will become tax resident for the whole of 2019. The tax will be due in June 2020.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Once you become tax resident you are deemed to have been resident for the whole year, so really you needed to do it in 2018 as you will become tax resident for the whole of 2019. The tax will be due in June 2020.
I thought that would be the case. Many thanks Fred.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:50 am
Just Joined

uk03878 will become famous soon enough

Out of interest as you are less than 55 how can you withdraw from a drawdown pension without enormous UK tax penalties at source?
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Under old pensions rules at A-Day, 06/04/2006, I was entitled to a Protected Pension Age of 50. 30 years of working in pensions admin for crap salaries at least gave me a lot of useful knowledge.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uk03878
Out of interest as you are less than 55 how can you withdraw from a drawdown pension without enormous UK tax penalties at source?
Under old pensions rules at A-Day, 06/04/2006, I was entitled to a Protected Pension Age of 50. 30 years of working in pensions admin for crap salaries at least gave me a lot of useful knowledge.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Is anyone able to confirm what allowance and tax rates would apply regarding my opening post?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 9:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the exact details of your pension scheme and that will determine just how much will be liable to tax. The standard tax rates are well published if you Google it. It also will depend on what your other income is as one major allowance is dependant on what your income is.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevo11
Is anyone able to confirm what allowance and tax rates would apply regarding my opening post?

Thanks.
I can't confirm exactly, but what I can say is go to a good Gestoria and check with the accountant... preferably one recommended to you in the area you wish to move to.
We are self-employed here and run a UK ltd company and originally thought a tax advisor who is used to dealing with expats was what we needed.
Various firms on the Costa Blanca wanted €3000 or a portfolio or pension worth €100K to invest before they would bother... We went up and down this for months. In the end we spoke to our accountant at the Gestors and she gave us an hours appointment and answered everything we needed to know for €20!

Last edited by Smithy73; Jan 13th 2019 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Smithy73
I can't confirm exactly, but what I can say is go to a good Gestoria and check with the accountant... preferably one recommended to you in the area you wish to move to.
We are self-employed here and run a UK ltd company and original thought a tax advisor who is used to dealing with expats was what we needed.
Various firms on the Costa Blanca wanted €3000 or a portfolio or pension worth €100K to invest before they would bother... We went up and down this for months. In the end we spoke to our accountant at the Gesters and she gave us an hours appointment and answered everything we needed to know for €20!
Thanks Smithy. I think I know the allowance and rates but a Gestor sounds good to me.
Cheers.