Tax advice

Old Oct 20th 2017, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Keving15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax advice

Would love to hear from someone on here who lives in Spain but travel back to the UK for work and the best way to pay tax.

Currently I travel back for a week every month, I pay tax in Spain as an autonomous as well as Social (healthcare and pension) its rther expensive and wondered how if I pay tax in the UK as a consultant how it works??
thanks in advance
Kevin
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax advice

Originally Posted by Keving15
Would love to hear from someone on here who lives in Spain but travel back to the UK for work and the best way to pay tax.

Currently I travel back for a week every month, I pay tax in Spain as an autonomous as well as Social (healthcare and pension) its rther expensive and wondered how if I pay tax in the UK as a consultant how it works??
thanks in advance
Kevin
As a resident in Spain you pay tax on your worldwide income. You would need to change your residency status and revert to UK or somewhere else in order to change the situation. Even if you did pay UK tax as a consultant in your current situation you would only be able to offset it against the Spanish liabilities.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 2:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

thanks in advance
Kevin
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community and adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 20th 2017, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

If you reside in Spain for more than 183 days in any 12 month period (not for a continuous period, but total number of days in any one tax year - Jan to Dec) then you are considered a fiscal resident of Spain, rather than the UK, and are liable to have your global income scrutinised by the Spanish tax authorities. It doesn't matter if your income is earned from work in the UK, the USA or anywhere else, unless it is subject to an established single tax agreement (UK government pensions and such like) it will be taxed in Spain.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

thanks in advance
Kevin
Move to Gibraltar
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Move to Gibraltar
We all know you live in Gibraltar and think it is the most wonderful place in the world, but your post is not helpful to the poster who wishes to move to Spain.

You might as well suggest he moves to the Cayman Islands!

Next time you post such useless advice it will be deleted.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I know a number of people in the same position as the OP who enjoy the benefits that Gibraltar has for people working in the UK tax wise whilst affording them the ability to travel extensively and enjoy many of the benefits Spain has to offer.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

nathanmorley1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a similar situation as in being employed in the UK, in the end I concluded it was easier (although expensive!) to be self-employed in Spain and invoice the UK company. Just too complex otherwise, especially if fiscally resident in Spain.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Simple rule of thumb. If you have a decent salary and no kids you will be absolutely HAMMERED tax wise if you spend more than 183 days in spain. If you love the climate more than you're wallet then fair enough, but think again if not.

Spain is a tax disaster!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Simple rule of thumb. If you have a decent salary and no kids you will be absolutely HAMMERED tax wise if you spend more than 183 days in spain. If you love the climate more than you're wallet then fair enough, but think again if not.

Spain is a tax disaster!
Absolutely spot on