Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tapas in the UK

Tapas in the UK

Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tapas in the UK

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/B...s-on-pub-menus

Some of those seem better value than the La Tasca option..
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tapas in the UK

I think nowadays you are more likely to find tapas in the UK than in Spain!

And of course nothing on that link was Spanish.. which is fine, thats what the UK does. Takes something from abroad, completely changes it, and makes it their own.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/B...s-on-pub-menus

Some of those seem better value than the La Tasca option..
Thats probably why lots of La tasca restaurants are closing.....not a good representation of spanish food...the only similarity being that the food was always cold.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that Tapas was literally "lid", a small plate or saucer with a small amount of food to go with and absorb the beer.
They are normally small snacks, what used to be known in the UK as finger food.

When you find me a bar in the UK that will serve a 33cl tubo of beer or copa of wine with tapas (and there are some really excellent ones around) for €1.50 then let me know.
That I have recently found excellent establishments charging €1.10 or as we found on Sunday, €1.00 I will expect those really hard to beat.

Many organisations are taking the Tapas label to justify what used to be called Nuvelle Cuisine at shockingly high prices hoping that the new title will engender a change in eating and drinking habits. Very few surfacing in the UK would ever be considered in working class Spain IME.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

And of course nothing on that link was Spanish.. which is fine, thats what the UK does. Takes something from abroad, completely changes it, and makes it their own.
another post from the dark side where reality doesn't exist ? ?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Try visiting Granada province , I yet to visit a Spanish run bar that does not serve tapas.......and Ive visited quiet a few
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi Yes Granada has a few places that you can have a tapa with your drink at a good price. The best place we have seen this was in the beautiful university city of Salamanca. Most places served tapas with drinks and the restaurants were amazing. One of the reasons we decided to buy a place in Spain as opposed to France!

Also my local pub/restaurant in my village in Wales does tapas and a bottle of rose/rosada for £15 for two.

Last edited by lmj50; Sep 26th 2012 at 3:00 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:01 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Big exaggeration of course but I take the point that in Spain it is possibly diminishing and in the UK increasing.

I agree entirely (only if we're talking about food of course).
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:03 pm

I can remember the first couple of times I went into a bar and they slipped me a plate of stuff I hadn't ordered
now I judge a place by the quality of the tapas on a value for money basis and the order they come out in as I knock back the tubo's.
as many visitors only seem to stay for the one drink before moving on they don't realise the quality of the tapas improves the more you have to drink.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Try visiting Granada province , I yet to visit a Spanish run bar that does not serve tapas.......and Ive visited quiet a few
Yes, of course it depends where you live

There is only 1 bar that serves tapas in Oviedo, out of 100s. Very few in Cataluna, mainly those that are targetted at the tourists

The real tradition is in Andalucia - and Granada in particular
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

There is a pretty good tapas restaurant in Manchester called El Rincon de Rafa (tucked away in a tiny street off St John Street, called Longworth Street). It's been there for donkey's years, long before La Tasca existed, and the tapas I used to get there were better than 90% of what gets served up in my local restaurant in Spain! I don't go there now when I am back in the UK though, as tapas are the last thing I'd want to eat when I'm there.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
There is a pretty good tapas restaurant in Manchester called El Rincon de Rafa (tucked away in a tiny street off St John Street, called Longworth Street). It's been there for donkey's years, long before La Tasca existed, and the tapas I used to get there were better than 90% of what gets served up in my local restaurant in Spain! I don't go there now when I am back in the UK though, as tapas are the last thing I'd want to eat when I'm there.
But restaurants in Spain dont even serve tapas!

That's your problem
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

But restaurants in Spain dont even serve tapas!

That's your problem
Yes point taken, I should have said bars! But the ones that serve GOOD tapas are few and far between. The run of the mill ones are pretty uninspiring, patatas bravas which consist of fried potatoes with supermarket sauce over the top, or cubes of gristly meat in a glutinous tomato based sauce. And please don't tell me that this is the type of rubbish served up in tourist areas, because I don't live in one!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:49 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

There's a good Tapas bar in Rochdale too of all places - been open about 20ish years and is booked solid xxxxx
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes point taken, I should have said bars! But the ones that serve GOOD tapas are few and far between. The run of the mill ones are pretty uninspiring, patatas bravas which consist of fried potatoes with supermarket sauce over the top, or cubes of gristly meat in a glutinous tomato based sauce. And please don't tell me that this is the type of rubbish served up in tourist areas, because I don't live in one!
Its the type of rubbish served up in bad bars - many of which happen to be in tourist areas

Good food in Spain rarely comes in the form of tapas though. The only place I've eaten excellent ones has been in Granada

Raciones and media raciones, well thats something else!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.