Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tall stories anyone??

Tall stories anyone??

Old Jan 28th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tall stories anyone??

About half an hour drive from where I live is a quaint little village set in the foothills of ‘Montseny’ Parc Natural....

It is nationally renowned for its manufacture of ceramics and pottery and stands with the name of ‘Breda’..........Every other house is a small factory with its own kiln run by the family who live there..........Each has a shop/terrace selling directly onto the street....

It’s a well visited tourist spot and coach parties arrive throughout the summer months....I go often with the missus to buy stuff for the garden.
During nigh on every visit I have noted the eternal presence of a stooped, elderly gentleman in an ever present felt fedora hat who trails around the narrow streets with a little handcart collecting the debris of broken ceramic and pottery discarded out the back doors of the many small kiln houses....He is a bit of a local character and many tourists take photos of him whilst at his toil.

During one visit I was having a swift wet in one of the few hostelries there as the missus was out perusing pots when the said character passed the bar frontage and all the locals called out a hearty good day and waved.
I turned to an old crone sat close by my table and inquired as to whom the colourful cart puller was.

She cackled hoarsely, threw back the tiny glass of red wine in front of her, gestured the host for me to fill her glass and beckoned me closer. I obliged...

‘’I’ll tell you a story’’, she babbled.....’’I’ll tell you a story sir’’!

She wiped the back of a mottled, dark skinned hand across cracked dry lips as she gulped a mouthful of wine redder than blood..

‘’He appeared’’, she nodded toward the old bent figure outside in the sunshine, ‘’ He appeared here many, many years ago’’. She gazed off somewhere with a small wry smile on her lined face.

‘’ He appeared many, many years ago, just with the rags on his back, he had nothing more......nothing!’’

‘’ Her shrivelled hand shook slightly as she raised the glass to drink!

‘’He looked for work sir.....Looked hard....But’’ She shrugged, ‘’the way things were back then...eh?’’ Tiny frail shoulders shook beneath her tattered shawl.

‘’Looked for work for many months, many months sir.....But nothing.....No work....There was no work back then’’, She scratched at the old wooden table with an old ragged nail.

‘’ The Generalissimo’’ she whispered, ‘’the troubles’’, Bloodshot eyes darted back and forth furtively.......’’ You understand?’’

‘’He had nothing....No food......I...I....fed him....You know ....helped him, we helped him’’

I nodded, urging her to continue!

‘’In the end.....He went to the mayor, you know....The mayor’’

I nodded again, knowingly.

‘’He asked for help.....for money....You know....Money....To buy the cart’’

I was transfixed...I swallowed and smiled my understanding.

‘’With the cart’’, she pointed a gnarled finger in the direction of the old man, slowly pushing his cart along the dusty, dry street.

‘’With...the cart....He collected all the pots....All the pots, you know? All the broken pots and pieces.....All the broken pieces of pots’’, she trailed off mumbling.

I smiled at the crone as if we were sharing some secret.

‘’For years he gathered....for years he collected.....Yeas and years he collected all the pieces, the broken pots.....saving them.....Saving and selling them....You know?’’

My eyes caught the bartenders and I looked down at her half empty glass, he grimaced and reached for the wine bottle...

The little dark clothed old woman went on.....

‘’All the pots and pieces....All the broken pots and pieces...He saved them and sold them, saved and sold them....All of them!’’

I took a sip at my now tepid beer...

‘’He saved and sold....saved and sold.....all of them..’’

She crouched forward as if in pain, clutching the wineglass as a crutch, fingers tight and raw, knuckles like tiny white pebbles!

‘’Do you know how much he is worth now.....this man....How much?’’

I leaned in closer, I could smell the Earth on her, the very soil she trod in her daily life!

‘’How much?’’ I whispered...’’How much?’’

‘’Fu#k all’’ she cackled......
’’Fu#k all....And he still owes for the handcart’’!!