Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

talking my cats to spain

talking my cats to spain

Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute
Default talking my cats to spain

just reading a different thread ,im bringing my cats to spain with us and just read they need to be registered with the town hall is this true or as long as they got their passports it ok
Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: talking my cats to spain

Originally Posted by shazzabob
just reading a different thread ,im bringing my cats to spain with us and just read they need to be registered with the town hall is this true or as long as they got their passports it ok
I TALK to my cats all the time as well

No, it's not true.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

shazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond reputeshazzabob has a reputation beyond repute

thanks i talk to my cats too nothing wrong with that, its when they answer you then you need to be worried
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When they get here they need to be chipped (if not already done) and registered with the regional authorities. They usually issue a nice little book to keep records of vaccinations etc.

Annual vaccinations against rabies and worming are compulsory. Cat Flu and Feline leukemia jabs are recommended.

That said, there are thousands of moggies out there without any registration or vaccinations.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 3:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
When they get here they need to be chipped (if not already done) and registered with the regional authorities. They usually issue a nice little book to keep records of vaccinations etc.

Annual vaccinations against rabies and worming are compulsory. Cat Flu and Feline leukemia jabs are recommended.

That said, there are thousands of moggies out there without any registration or vaccinations.
Really Fred - is that for all parts of Spain? It's just that I've never heard that cats need registering - even our local animal charity didn't know about it!
Old Nov 4th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they submit their tax and 720 declarations as well
Old Nov 4th 2014, 3:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Really Fred - is that for all parts of Spain? It's just that I've never heard that cats need registering - even our local animal charity didn't know about it!
Yes, cats, dogs and even ferrets have to be chipped and registered. It is certainly the case in Andalucia and as far as I know, it is the same elsewhere.

A vet is not allowed to give a rabies jab to an unchipped animal.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Yes, cats, dogs and even ferrets have to be chipped and registered. It is certainly the case in Andalucia and as far as I know, it is the same elsewhere.

A vet is not allowed to give a rabies jab to an unchipped animal.
This is not the case in Valencia, as far as I know. I have two cats, both of them are chipped, but since they were both brought to Spain after being chipped, their chips are not registered here. Both of them have had rabies vaccinations here, and the question of a chip never came up.

I actually asked my vet what it would take to register their chips here, and he had to make several calls before he managed to get any information about it. From what he was told, if your pet's chip was already registered in the country where it was put in, it is a relatively simple process to change the registration to the new address in Spain. With my two, they were never registered in the country where they were chipped because it was known at the time of chipping that they would be moving to Spain. Because of this, the process to register the chips is more complicated, and the fee is higher - 50 euros per pet. I keep meaning to get this sorted out at their yearly checkup, and get their chips properly registered, but I always forget during the actual visit, and so they are still not registered, even though they have been chipped for years... Since they are inside-only cats, registering their chips is not really a big priority.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Nor are they, I believe allowed to neuter feral unchipped cats ? here or over the border in Portugal ?
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:15 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I TALK to my cats all the time as well

No, it's not true.
Do you speak Spanish with them? In Spain, it's obligatory to speak to cats in Spanish. €30K fine.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:20 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Nor are they, I believe allowed to neuter feral unchipped cats ? here or over the border in Portugal ?
Hello
we manage a rescue and we just released 4 feral kittens that have had everything done, but a chip, to regiester them to what adress ....unknown, lol
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by NadiaN
This is not the case in Valencia, as far as I know. I have two cats, both of them are chipped, but since they were both brought to Spain after being chipped, their chips are not registered here. Both of them have had rabies vaccinations here, and the question of a chip never came up.

I actually asked my vet what it would take to register their chips here, and he had to make several calls before he managed to get any information about it. From what he was told, if your pet's chip was already registered in the country where it was put in, it is a relatively simple process to change the registration to the new address in Spain.
Like all things in Spain it may vary from one region to another, but of course many vets don't really care about the rules so do not insist on registering the chips or requiring them before rabies jabs - they are happy to take the money.

The real problem with not re-registering them is that if they are rounded up by the cat catchers they will be destroyed if they don't have a chip registered in Spain (assuming they even bother to check!)

We had a cat which travelled with us from Cyprus, where he had been chipped, and it was simple to register him in Spain and get a new passport.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Do you speak Spanish with them? In Spain, it's obligatory to speak to cats in Spanish. €30K fine.
Two of my cats were rescued in France the other in the UK. They are now bi-lingual as is the dog who was rescued in France and for which I spent a night in the cells. Another story for another time.

They have a common language prawns!
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Like all things in Spain it may vary from one region to another, but of course many vets don't really care about the rules so do not insist on registering the chips or requiring them before rabies jabs - they are happy to take the money.

The real problem with not re-registering them is that if they are rounded up by the cat catchers they will be destroyed if they don't have a chip registered in Spain (assuming they even bother to check!)

We had a cat which travelled with us from Cyprus, where he had been chipped, and it was simple to register him in Spain and get a new passport.
Dear Fred I have pm'd you
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Porth
Two of my cats were rescued in France the other in the UK. They are now bi-lingual as is the dog who was rescued in France and for which I spent a night in the cells. Another story for another time.

They have a common language prawns!
My older cat was born in Canada, and the younger one in Sweden. But they only understand Bulgarian. Poor things get really confused when the vet and his assistants start cooing to them in Spanish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.