Reload this Page >

taking your car to spain

taking your car to spain

Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

dougyzf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking your car to spain

Hi,

Just wondering what the deal is with taking your car to spain,do you eventually have to pay duty on the vehicle??
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:58 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking your car to spain

Everything you will need to know is in the 'free beer' sticky thread at the top of he Spanish forum.

or Here : http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422251
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougyzf
Hi,

Just wondering what the deal is with taking your car to spain,do you eventually have to pay duty on the vehicle??
Save the hassle, buy in Spain. ;-))
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:45 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Save the hassle, buy in Spain. ;-))
It's not always that easy though mate.

Lots of people take their cars (lhd or rhd) over to aid them moving (i.e important stuff they didn't trust a company with and pets etc)

Not to mention to get yourself a car the day/week you get there can be quite daunting and obviously you have to spend time getting all your own personal paperwork together before you can even think about it.

I've given it some thought that when I do make the move having to find somewhere to live/sorting out all the paperwork needed without the luxury of my own transport would be a no no. After all when everything else seems alien it's nice to have something familiar (tho I guess I do treat my cars like members of the family ) And the major contributing fact is the expense, as long as you do it correctly in the right time frame you can save yourself money and depending on what you are buying it can be thousands of euros.

Then in the flip side if you've had your old reliable car for ages and it's been no bother, then replacing it like for like will be a complete game of blind mans buff and could leave you out of pocket bigtime!

It's also a very well known fact that unless buying new in Spain 'clocking' (lowering the original mileage) is seen as normal, so much so they even sell the hardware to do it online and in local markets and such a client of mine show me

As you're aware I'm in the trade and Spain would be the last place I would buy a pre-owned vehicle from, right along with the new Eastern European members of the EU.

As everyone knows to get the right car with the right history is a minefield in a country you're familiar with (ie home) but for many people who have no or very little grasp of the local language I can imagine it's just as scary buying than registering a vehicle.

Just my take on it from hearing what friends/family/clients have told me.

Last edited by zel; Feb 17th 2008 at 1:52 pm.