Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

taking English electrical goods to Spain

taking English electrical goods to Spain

Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

nnbrnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking English electrical goods to Spain

Reading other posts, I take it that you can take electrical goods to Spain but change the plug when you get there? Am I right? I have'nt seen any decent table lamps in Spain yet and what I have seen are really expensive.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking English electrical goods to Spain

Yes you can.

Spain doesn't use the bayonet style bulbs though, only screw in ones. So if your lamps use bayonets, take some spare bulbs with you.

Originally Posted by nnbrnt
Reading other posts, I take it that you can take electrical goods to Spain but change the plug when you get there? Am I right? I have'nt seen any decent table lamps in Spain yet and what I have seen are really expensive.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nnbrnt
If you look through this link you will see what you can and cannot take to Spain I was a Domestic Service Engineer for 20 odd years and have found that some domestic appliences have problems here in

Spain.Taking to Spain
Old Oct 1st 2005, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

nnbrnt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by countryboy
If you look through this link you will see what you can and cannot take to Spain I was a Domestic Service Engineer for 20 odd years and have found that some domestic appliences have problems here in

Spain.Taking to Spain
Most of our electrical stuff for the house is Spanish anyway, toaster, kettle etc. it was just that I see in England just the table lamps that I like and I know table lamps are expensive in Spain. Thanks countryboy, you always come up with the answers and you are much appreciated .
Old Oct 1st 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

One extra piece of equipment you may wish to consider purchasing once you get here is an Uniterruptible Power Supply to protect your delicate electronic equipment.

As countryboy says, the electrical supply leaves a lot to be desired and is prone to frequent surges, brown outs, cuts and momentary cuts which can play havoc with your computer, TV, video, satellite receiver etc.

In the summer months my supply rarely reaches 200 volts and is often as low as 170 to 180 volts.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an answer to poor power supply please?
Some sort of booster?
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I use three high capacity uniterruptible power supplies. They will boost low power from about 178 volts but below this they change over to the inverter and supply power from the battery.

They will also buck high voltage up to about 275 volts and, again, above this voltage they switch to inverter.

I have the on-line type rather than line interactive and they are not cheap but have prevented the best efforts of Sevillana/Endesa to reduce my electronic equipment to puddles of molten plastic on many occasions.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 3:19 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

Did you buy your UPS devices here in Spain?
We have been trying to buy some locally but had no success; we have tried local shops in Chiclana and have also been to PC City in San Fernando.
If you have any suggestions that would be useful.
Yvonne
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have Salicru units and I bought them directly from the distributor on the Poligono San Luis in Málaga.

If you contact Xavier Garcia on this email address:

[email protected]

I am sure he will be able to give you the name of a supplier in your area.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

the boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant futurethe boudiers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
One extra piece of equipment you may wish to consider purchasing once you get here is an Uniterruptible Power Supply to protect your delicate electronic equipment.

As countryboy says, the electrical supply leaves a lot to be desired and is prone to frequent surges, brown outs, cuts and momentary cuts which can play havoc with your computer, TV, video, satellite receiver etc.

In the summer months my supply rarely reaches 200 volts and is often as low as 170 to 180 volts.

Stop showing off now cos i only have 130 max coming in full stop.Phoned endesa and they said i am on the old supply and i have to get a certificate from an electrician to be able to boost it up!!!But i think i am going to have to get it re-wired first then get the certificate and then get it increased!Until then am drinking warm vodka and tonics!!!Its just not the same!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

athie is an unknown quantity at this point

Are bayonet bulbs available in Gibraltar please?

regards & thanks for the advice so far
Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

It makes no sense, honestly to rely on bayonet fittings. You could bring the lamps over and change the bulb socket to a screw-in type if you are confident and careful with electrics.

The EU standard voltage is supposed to be 230 volts and I believe this should be in force by 2007 throughout. Those of you on lower voltages might consider advising Iberdrola/Endosa/etc. that it is there responsibility to help you convert, since a boletin de instalacion will not come cheap unless you know a friendly electrician. The reason is that, whoever comes in to certify the wiring may want to rip out various wiring runs, etc. if not to certify safety, to justify a high charge for an easy job. You could end up paying many hundreds of euros for a certificate and no actual changes to the installation, other than the breakers.

Well, anyway, it's worth a try ... I don't say that you will, or won't get any success, but ....

Most UK appliances are made for 240 volts, so at best you're going to be 10 volts short. You won't notice that on most things, but motors will run ever so slightly slower (if unregulated) and heating elements will take a bit longer to achieve the same results.

In practice my supply in Murcia runs between 215 volts and 235 volts, with noticeable troughs at peak times. As mentioned, when the summer comes and the air conditioning units start to operate, I'd expect to see lower voltages.

I bought a couple of uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS - or Sistema de alimentacion ininterrumpida - SAI) online from http://www.audiotronics.es and have been very happy that I did. Of course, there are running costs, apart from the capital purchase costs. UPS batteries tend to last no longer than 3 to 5 years and need to be replaced.