Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs and caravan to spain

Taking dogs and caravan to spain

Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

chris and steve hedges is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking dogs and caravan to spain

Hi all, we want to take our 3 dogs and caravan to spain for 6 months while we research areas we want to retire in. This would mean finding camp sites that allow long stay and also allow 3 dog. All the ones I have checked out say 2 dogs max. Also my husband will be retired but I won't so will this effect our health care. Any way question is has anyone brought over more than 2 dogs and lived in touring caravan while looking to settle?
Old Mar 27th 2016, 3:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dogs and caravan to spain

Originally Posted by chris and steve hedges
Hi all, we want to take our 3 dogs and caravan to spain for 6 months while we research areas we want to retire in. This would mean finding camp sites that allow long stay and also allow 3 dog. All the ones I have checked out say 2 dogs max. Also my husband will be retired but I won't so will this effect our health care. Any way question is has anyone brought over more than 2 dogs and lived in touring caravan while looking to settle?
Re healthcare, if you are only going for 6 months, then you will have to use the EHIC card and top this up with health insurance, the only way you could get into the Spanish system would be when you made the move permanent, and told the DWP that you wanted the S1 form.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Re healthcare, if you are only going for 6 months, then you will have to use the EHIC card and top this up with health insurance, the only way you could get into the Spanish system would be when you made the move permanent, and told the DWP that you wanted the S1 form.
Thanks for that, At least I know what to do re health cover, now just worried about my dogs!
Old Mar 27th 2016, 7:38 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
after having spend a few summer in spain in a caravan it aint funny,
it gets very warm inside and the awning will be like a oven, so when you look for campsites make sure they have shaded placed for you to stay under, also being high season they will charge a fair bit, Spanish children have a very long summer break, while on campsite they do take some getting use too.
Might be just as easy to rent a propper place.There are some campsite like one in Miramar called camping coelius they dont care how manys dogs unless the large.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan
Hello
after having spend a few summer in spain in a caravan it aint funny,
it gets very warm inside and the awning will be like a oven, so when you look for campsites make sure they have shaded placed for you to stay under, also being high season they will charge a fair bit, Spanish children have a very long summer break, while on campsite they do take some getting use too.
Might be just as easy to rent a propper place.There are some campsite like one in Miramar called camping coelius they dont care how manys dogs unless the large.
Definitely will consider renting, the reason I thought our caravan was to keep the cost down. We may consider coming over out of season so this may solve a problem with heat in caravan which is nearly new so is very cosy in winter.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 8:50 pm
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Good thinking, after the summer its wonderful to be in the van, as heating is much better then most spanish houses.I would say just email most sites if you a longer stayer they might be ok with your dogs.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Good thinking, after the summer its wonderful to be in the van, as heating is much better then most spanish houses.I would say just email most sites if you a longer stayer they might be ok with your dogs.
Good idea, very exciting times!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

jonesy7 is an unknown quantity at this point

we have a similar idea to the lady above and would like your advice please.
We only have one dog luckliy ...we plan on selling up here, uk and buying a left hand drive motor home and travel to Spain to spend at least 3 to 4 months in the 3 areas ( alicante out side benidorm...mazzon murcia and outside malaga) we would like to buy to get a feel for the places... I would like to buy something that needs doing up..( I have been in the building industry all my life as a wall and floor tiler ). So the motor home would come in handy for somewhere to live while we do this ...and we would also like to come back to the uk to see the family at least twice a year so this would be good for this with the dog .... We would have to get private medical insurance as we are a few years of retirment age.. We would not have a permanent residance until we buy somewhere so how would we go about re-registering the motorhome to Spanish plates so we could get it mot here without this after being here for more than 160 days ..we have inlaws living in albox almeria ..am I right in thinking that we could not use there address to re-register as we are not the oweners the home..