Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs back to the UK

Taking dogs back to the UK

Old Jul 24th 2013, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all
Default Taking dogs back to the UK

Please can anyone tell me the procedure for taking two dogs back to the UK. I live in Alhaurin el Grande and need to know roughly how much the vaccinations are and the timescale needed and any other information that may be useful. We will be driving them back ourselves. Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dogs back to the UK

Best to check the DEFRA site for up to date true information. Vaccination prices will vary from vet to vet. My dog started hers with her passport and chip from the time we got her years ago I really cannot remember any prices. I took her to UK for a visit earlier this year by car and ferry from Santander to Portsmouth on the Pont Aven which has dog kennels on top deck. She has no problem being in a cage, she travels in the car in one as per law here. I prefer her in it rather than a harness she is small.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/imports-exports/pets/
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear that under the pet travel scheme you have to use an authorised carrier and an approved route. Since you will have to come across the sea somewhere, they will also be able to advise you.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to use authorised pet carriers and the approved route is for entry to UK as only certain airlines, airports/ ferries and ferry terminals allow pets into UK.

If you choose to use a pet carrier company (which I would not) or if you fly your pet (which I would not) then you are limited in travel times and the cost to fly is crazy.

Carrying your own pet in your vehicle you can choose the route that suits you to arrive at the ferry terminal with the time scale required for tapeworm treatment ( for dogs) and the extended check-in time required for pet. Both sides this time were very easy for pet check-in. I have taken my dog on the route above twice to UK and back without any problem. The latest trip was May 2013.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't use the words pet carriers but authorised carrier and it seems that the ferries fulfill that role.
From the Defra site: You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Carrying your own pet in your vehicle you can choose the route that suits you to arrive at the ferry terminal with the time scale required for tapeworm treatment ( for dogs) and the extended check-in time required for pet. Both sides this time were very easy for pet check-in. I have taken my dog on the route above twice to UK and back without any problem. The latest trip was May 2013.[/QUOTE]

When driving here from Ireland with my dog, he had to be chipped and wear a muzzle when being walked in the designated area on the ferry.
Though it was a tough experience for him, I would always opt for this as opposed to "posting" him or flying with him.

Though Rabies injections etc were not necessary coming to Spain, going back the other way they are. Both my dogs have just cost €360 for the two, to bring all their jabs up to date. Also, I hear, there is a 6month wait for the rabies blood test to clear your dog to travel.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rspltd
I didn't use the words pet carriers but authorised carrier and it seems that the ferries fulfill that role.
From the Defra site: You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route
We are saying the same things !
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
Banned

PennyA will become famous soon enough

Never knew how much of a nightmare it is to get your pets abroad!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Be very carefull that you follow the tapeworm treatment exactly as per DEFRA website instructions. We came back 2 weeks ago with our dogs thru Calais Eurotunnel. While we were having our dogs passports,chips etc checked ,a couple next to us were refused entry for their dog.The reason given was although they had tapeworm treatment entered by the vet in the passport. It had not been dated. As we left they were waiting or a French vet to arrive to give the dog treatment and stamp the passport.Not sure whether they then would have to wait 24 hours before resuming their travels.Very expensive mistake as it was a Sunday and don't suppose calling out a French vet was cheap.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:59 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]

When driving here from Ireland with my dog, he had to be chipped and Also, I hear, there is a 6month wait for the rabies blood test to clear your dog to travel.[/QUOTE]

Not any longer. Since January it´s been changed to 21 days after the rabies injection. However, the dog has to be chipped first or the rabies date doesn´t count. Look on the DEFRA website link that the Captain´s Wench posted earlier.

Also, yes, you were saying the same as she was.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:11 pm
Banned

HelenLC is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone that has worked in a boarding kennels here in Spain, never let your dogs vaccinations lapse, always carry your dogs passport if you are travelling anywhere in the car with them as failing to do so can incur a fine.
The kennels where I worked was left with so many dogs due to families returning to the UK as they could not afford to wait for the vaccinations to mature etc. This is a major problem in Spain, less so now that the travel restrictions have been lifted slightly but please keep all your pets vaccinations up to date so that should you find yourself in a position where you need to return to the UK you will not have to be parted from your pet.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:14 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

My dog is chipped and rabies up to date. I know I have to get her checked and de wormed 1 day (minimum) or a maximum or 5 days before travel to the UK. I assume that the 5 day limit takes you up to the moment you board the ferry from Santander, Bilbao or Dieppe etc.
We are coming from the canary islands and so will probably get the de worm bit done in santander, Bilbao or Dieppe otherwise we can be a bit tight on time.
Which is the better route for you and the dog. Which ship/boat is a nicer trip. Is there anything else i should be thinking about. I have a dog crate and we are driving across in a van.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenLC
As someone that has worked in a boarding kennels here in Spain, never let your dogs vaccinations lapse, always carry your dogs passport if you are travelling anywhere in the car with them as failing to do so can incur a fine.
The kennels where I worked was left with so many dogs due to families returning to the UK as they could not afford to wait for the vaccinations to mature etc. This is a major problem in Spain, less so now that the travel restrictions have been lifted slightly but please keep all your pets vaccinations up to date so that should you find yourself in a position where you need to return to the UK you will not have to be parted from your pet.
Great advice, never say never.

Yes, flying regulations state that you have to use an authorised pet transporter which is a real rip off before you could just go through eg. BA and book them in for around £40 if you were a passenger. We flew 2 cats back to the UK at a cost not far off £800. The dogs we took in the car, stayed at a pet friendly hotel in France and through Eurotunnel.

We flew a uk cat to Spain with Iberia and they let me take the carrier in the passenger cabin
Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
Carrying your own pet in your vehicle you can choose the route that suits you to arrive at the ferry terminal with the time scale required for tapeworm treatment ( for dogs) and the extended check-in time required for pet. Both sides this time were very easy for pet check-in. I have taken my dog on the route above twice to UK and back without any problem. The latest trip was May 2013.
When driving here from Ireland with my dog, he had to be chipped and wear a muzzle when being walked in the designated area on the ferry.
Though it was a tough experience for him, I would always opt for this as opposed to "posting" him or flying with him.

Though Rabies injections etc were not necessary coming to Spain, going back the other way they are. Both my dogs have just cost €360 for the two, to bring all their jabs up to date. Also, I hear, there is a 6month wait for the rabies blood test to clear your dog to travel.[/QUOTE]

We bought my little mate (he is not really like the avatar!) a muzzle, was a size too big but he chewed it to bits so we cant send it back, new size 3 comes tomorrow, but he is ten, ten years without it he cant accept it, i feel really gutrted for him.

Has anyone else had issues with putting a muzzle on a dog who has had viurtually there whole life without it.

He has just got over having a tumor removed, although I will admit he has that look about him and he walks with his jaw hanging, its just his nature and he is well past any truly aggressive nature, he looks the part, but his nature is not like that, I think its unfair but I can understand why people say they shoulld wear a muzzle but he just cant get on with it at this age ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.