Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking on the Banking Industry

Taking on the Banking Industry

Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking on the Banking Industry

I watched a good programme on C4 last night (well, I thought it was!) called Bank of Dave : fighting the fat cats. A review of it here

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/01/bank-o...cream-3520603/

It was a follow-up one year on from the original programme "Bank of Dave", which I missed. A local businessman in Burnley, Dave Fishwick, set up this initiative after hearing from numerous small business owners that they had been refused credit by high street banks, and savers getting very low returns. Essentially it is a peer to peer lending operation, offering a 5% pa return to savers. Dave Fishwick personally guarantees the safety of people's investments in the event of anyone defaulting on their loan.

Local people were literally queuing to deposit money with them, until the FSA stepped in and prevented them from taking any more funds in. Last night's programme was about Dave's campaign against this, which he eventually won. He wants to see this kind of initiative rolled out all over the country, and I say good luck to him. He visited Germany, where apparently these kind of "community banks" have been commonplace for years.

I would love to see them succeed, what do you think?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:00 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking on the Banking Industry

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I watched a good programme on C4 last night (well, I thought it was!) called Bank of Dave : fighting the fat cats. A review of it here

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/01/bank-o...cream-3520603/

It was a follow-up one year on from the original programme "Bank of Dave", which I missed. A local businessman in Burnley, Dave Fishwick, set up this initiative after hearing from numerous small business owners that they had been refused credit by high street banks, and savers getting very low returns. Essentially it is a peer to peer lending operation, offering a 5% pa return to savers. Dave Fishwick personally guarantees the safety of people's investments in the event of anyone defaulting on their loan.

Local people were literally queuing to deposit money with them, until the FSA stepped in and prevented them from taking any more funds in. Last night's programme was about Dave's campaign against this, which he eventually won. He wants to see this kind of initiative rolled out all over the country, and I say good luck to him. He visited Germany, where apparently these kind of "community banks" have been commonplace for years.

I would love to see them succeed, what do you think?
Quite agree, best of luck to the guy and others who hopefully may follow him and show the big boys up for what a bunch of scumbags they really are,.... though I think most of us already know.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
. Essentially it is a peer to peer lending operation
Isn't that what building societies used to be? Before they were all turned into banks?

I wonder if all those members who sold their rights for cash windfalls ever realised what the implications would be?

Anyway, good for Dave, I hope he wins.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Isn't that what building societies used to be? Before they were all turned into banks? ........
Sounds like a form of credit union, which do exist in the UK, but are much bigger in the US.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 11:53 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that what building societies used to be? Before they were all turned into banks?

I wonder if all those members who sold their rights for cash windfalls ever realised what the implications would be?

Good point.
Unfortunately most of the small ones were gobbled up by the bigger ones which in turn were mostly gobbled up by the banks.
There are still a few around, but how long before they are also swallowed up once the banks get back into their big fat profit zone again ?

Apart from causing the big banks some embarrassment, Dave did likewise by sticking to his guns and pressurising the FSA who were obviously hoping he'd just quietly give up and go away.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think the cared ? They just took the free money
Old Mar 1st 2013, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Not only Building Societies but also how banks were born.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Do you think the cared ? They just took the free money
Yes I remember my parents had a big row when they had to vote on it. Dad said it was wrong but mum won and we got a new sofa.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:21 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Dear Daily Mail,

How did we miss it ? The signs were all THERE. Was it the ‘Jimmy Savile Factor’ that blinded us i.e. ‘It’s to do with television so it must be kosher’ ?

How could we have missed it ? Was George Osbourne and the Bank of England sleeping whilst all this was going on ? When and how much did David Cameron know ?

I clown walks into Burnley high street (of all places), opens a shop, declares it a “Bank”, and, without any banking experience whatsoever starts taking money off people who queue up for a mouth-watering 5 % interest, which none of the major banks can match. These deposits were “personally guaranteed” by the bloke.

All this against the warnings of the financial institutions and the half-hearted attempts by the FSA to shut him down, but were incompetent in doing so.

I suppose it will be the British tax-payer who will have to compensate all the hard-working people, pensioners who fought for their country, one-armed single mothers and Lesbian Green Whales charities who queued up to put their money in this catastrophe ?

Did the government learn nothing from the Iceland debacle ?

Disgusted,
Cheltenam
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
Dear Daily Mail,

How did we miss it ? The signs were all THERE. Was it the ‘Jimmy Savile Factor’ that blinded us i.e. ‘It’s to do with television so it must be kosher’ ?

How could we have missed it ? Was George Osbourne and the Bank of England sleeping whilst all this was going on ? When and how much did David Cameron know ?

I clown walks into Burnley high street (of all places), opens a shop, declares it a “Bank”, and, without any banking experience whatsoever starts taking money off people who queue up for a mouth-watering 5 % interest, which none of the major banks can match. These deposits were “personally guaranteed” by the bloke.

All this against the warnings of the financial institutions and the half-hearted attempts by the FSA to shut him down, but were incompetent in doing so.

I suppose it will be the British tax-payer who will have to compensate all the hard-working people, pensioners who fought for their country, one-armed single mothers and Lesbian Green Whales charities who queued up to put their money in this catastrophe ?

Disgusted,
Cheltenam
Who has lost any money they have invested with this "bank" to date? Some politicians at least appear to be taking him seriously as he was invited to give evidence to an All Party Parliamentary Committee.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:36 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
Dear Daily Mail,

Disgusted,
Cheltenam
Do you like where you live? I don't mean the actual location I'm more on about the place you live in your head. Is it lonely up there?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:18 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Do you like where you live? I don't mean the actual location I'm more on about the place you live in your head. Is it lonely up there?
Yes. You see there's only one of me, where as your location identifier in the left margin says "Pray for the people inside your head...".

You seem to be confused about numbers (43159?).

Perhaps one of you should pop down the doctors and ask about "skit-so-freen-yah".

You'll feel better.

I did.

I consider my discussion with you closed.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:45 pm
On the road again.

I take it that Santander UK didn't quite match up to your requirements either.

"The Santander logo, a pile of steaming ***t, is the most appropriate one I have ever seen."

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Mar 1st 2013 at 9:50 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I take it that Santander UK didn't quite match up to your requirements either.

"The Santander logo, a pile of steaming ***t, is the most appropriate one I have ever seen."
Certainly not.

This week a charming young lady from the Caixa Laietana (now Bankia) bank helped me pay a sterling cheque in to my Spanish euro account. I didn't know if it was possible, and nor did the woman serving me or the rest of the bank staff.

Strangely they had never done this before, and they had never seen a British cheque before either. Politely, they got the job done despite the lengthening queue.

Now, I know I will be able to get that money back whenever I want, cos the Spanish Government and the European Union says so, not a second hand minibus salesman from Burnley.

That's my kind of bank.

I'm all for the little man in business, but not when you're messing about with people's savings.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that the minibus salesman from Burnley will cost us individually or collectively ( Government ) as much as your kind of banks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.