Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Take my motorbike home

Take my motorbike home

Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

nosilam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Take my motorbike home

Hi, I brought my british motorbike out from UK 2 years ago, wasnt sure how long it would stay in Spain, so just SORNed it. I registered it in Spain, its on Spanish plates Insured and ITV'd but would like to take it back to UK next year. That in itself is easy - that end, but what must i do here in Spain to get it out of their system? and stop them sending tax and ITV reminders. If taking it back is anywhere near as complicated / expensive as getting it in i'll have to consider selling it here. Any advice gratefully received.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 8:10 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Take my motorbike home

You ought to have declared it as exported to Spain, i.e. not sorned. No idea how you can sort out that and advise that you sell it.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:31 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

A SORN needs to be renewed every year from memory. That aside, then you need to inform Trafico AND your local town hall that you have exported it

Davexf
Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

nosilam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both, i reside in Uk so Sorning has not been an issue - will make further enquiries via Spanish speaking buddy, at Town Hall etc Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2014, 2:42 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

SORN is easy but not the issue I was referring to.

You made a declaration that it is off the road.
Make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road, e.g. you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land.
You ought to have declared it was exported.
If you’re taking a UK-registered vehicle out of the country for 12 months or more (also known as permanent export) you need to:
1.Tell DVLA by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your V5C registration certificate (logbook).

Goodness knows what the penalty is for making a false declaration?
Hopefully DVLA will not find out.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I doubt they will. As it looks like Spain has made no contact with DVLA re getting it registered in Spain which seems odd. So as far as DVLA are concerned it is believed to be off road somewhere in the UK. Problem would be if de registered in Spain and brought back on UK plates then a simple check by customs or police would bring up the SORN and the complication of where it has been. Of course Missile you are right shouldn't have been on SORN as it has been exported. I would think easiest to bring back on Spanish Reg. Once in UK put UK plates on, get MOtd taxed etc, then go through export procedure with Spain?
Mind does make you wonder, how often do we hear of all these checks etc on us Brits in Spain the close cooperation etc re everything. Yet you import a vehicle and no checks are done with the country it has come from?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:46 pm
Started off with nothing

I am sure you are right, but ............

Don't wish to worry you, but they do (sometimes?) speak to each other. When I applied to renew my UK driving license, DVLA demanded that I surrender my Spanish one first.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure they do. Many years ago when I was in the forces I imported a car from Cyprus. To retain tax free I had to have had it 6 months there and 18 month in UK. I got posted 13 months after to Germany. Concerned re sttus of car re tax free, I sought advice from customs and excise. To be told you have it taxed don't go for a refund leave it taxed and registered in UK until the full18 months is up. I did that took it to Germany and it went straight on BFG plates. After a year in Germany I sold it UK Registered tax free. Of course this was pre SORN days. I suppose there are sensible ways round most things. Plus of course being crown employed and the posting was not a choice thing I would imagine also counted.