British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   SWINE FLU HITS SPAIN. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/swine-flu-hits-spain-606517/)

rugbymatt Dec 8th 2009 4:42 am

Re: SWINE FLU HITS SPAIN.

Its a bit like saying that a bullet doesn't actually kill you, its the damage it does as it tears through your flesh that kills you.

chulo Dec 8th 2009 5:07 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8156557)
I beg to differ.

I`m sure.

rugbymatt Dec 8th 2009 5:09 am

Originally Posted by chulo (Post 8156747)
I`m sure.

Read my post above and stop acting like a bitch.

Aussie30 Dec 8th 2009 5:48 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8156654)
Its a bit like saying that a bullet doesn't actually kill you, its the damage it does as it tears through your flesh that kills you.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jan 8th 2010 8:43 am

Whatever happened to the swine flu scare???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/health/8448080.stm

Jo xx

rugbymatt Jan 8th 2010 8:57 am

What??? I thought we were all being wiped off the face of the earth sometime around September!

Tell me, who predicted that it would be a damp squib? Hmm?

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jan 8th 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8230079)
What??? I thought we were all being wiped off the face of the earth sometime around September!

Me!!!!! It was obviously another government "diversion" - like Bird flu - remember that one??

Jo xxx

agoreira Jan 8th 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8230079)

A damp squib? Already over 270 have died in Spain, not quite my idea of a damp squib, nor for the friends and families of the deceased.
El año termina con 271 muertes por gripe A en España

jojojojojojojojojojojojo Jan 8th 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8231465)
A damp squib? Already over 270 have died in Spain, not quite my idea of a damp squib, nor for the friends and families of the deceased.

If you read back over this thread, its certainly nothing like the serious pandemic that they were predicting - nowhere near. Its no more fatal or dangerous or indeed common that "normal" flu!

Jo xxx

bil Jan 8th 2010 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo (Post 8231495)
If you read back over this thread, its certainly nothing like the serious pandemic that they were predicting - nowhere near. Its no more fatal or dangerous or indeed common that "normal" flu!

Jo xxx

Lucky old us.

Don't worry, every time there is a new variety you will be able to predict it will be a government plot, and that it will be no worse than normal flu (which of course kills a lot of people, but hey......).

You will be right every time, right up to the point when the wheels come off and the flu virus rolls six 6s in a row.

So what should government do? Stick its head in the sand like you suggest?

agoreira Jan 8th 2010 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8231544)
Lucky old us.
So what should government do? Stick its head in the sand like you suggest?

Agree, it's damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. And just maybe the total is not as high as predicted due in some small part to the actions that the various governments have taken. I know I have had my jab, along with many thousands of others. Some here seem almost disappointed that the figures haven't reached epic proportions. I can never quite follow the argument that the governments deliberately over predicts the figures, what's in it for them? Surely it's better to give a worst case scenario than say it's not a problem, nobody takes any precautions, and thousands die.

steviedeluxe Jan 8th 2010 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8231678)
Agree, it's damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. And just maybe the total is not as high as predicted due in some small part to the actions that the various governments have taken. I know I have had my jab, along with many thousands of others. Some here seem almost disappointed that the figures haven't reached epic proportions. I can never quite follow the argument that the governments deliberately over predicts the figures, what's in it for them? Surely it's better to give a worst case scenario than say it's not a problem, nobody takes any precautions, and thousands die.

Yikes, I'm in full agreement with agoreira ! :eek: There was a report on the radio earlier stating that the NHS in the UK is liable to be left with millions of vaccine jabs, as the outbreak wasn't as bad as they were fearing. To be honest I'm glad they erred on the side of caution on this. I know it's easy to criticise governments, especially when it's taxpayers' money they spend, but in this case it looks like a job totally justified and (probably) well-done as the spread has been contained and the outcome has been far fewer deaths than predicted.

agoreira Jan 9th 2010 2:01 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8231781)
Yikes, I'm in full agreement with agoreira ! :eek: There was a report on the radio earlier stating that the NHS in the UK is liable to be left with millions of vaccine jabs, as the outbreak wasn't as bad as they were fearing.

Yes, it's scary, I'm in agreement with you, but don't worry, like the snow, it won't last!:rofl: Spain is in a similar boat, nobody really wanted the jabs. They got 37 million jabs, they reckon they will only have used 3 million!

* Se adquirieron 37 millones, luego se calculó que se gastarían 10 millones y, cuando acabe el plazo, apenas se habrán usado 3 millones.
* Ahora se estudia qué hacer con las demás.

rugbymatt Jan 9th 2010 3:26 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8231465)

Yeah, probably as many who have died from eating bad food, in fact probably less, yet you don't see the mass media hysteria do you? Thats what is wrong with this world, the bloody media and scumbag journo's!

bil Jan 9th 2010 5:39 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 8232227)
Yeah, probably as many who have died from eating bad food, in fact probably less, yet you don't see the mass media hysteria do you? Thats what is wrong with this world, the bloody media and scumbag journo's!

That too, but more than that is that people just cannot understand risk properly.

A smoker who drives will cross the road to post his pools coupon and buy a lottery ticket.

It never occurs to him that he is highly at risk from the first three things, but vanishingly unlikely to profit from the last two.

Can you imagine what would have happened had the gooberments done sod all, and this really was the 'big one'?