Reload this Page >

Swimming pools and gardens on farming land

Swimming pools and gardens on farming land

Old Dec 26th 2023, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

slater14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swimming pools and gardens on farming land

Hi guys,
I've read quite a bit about swimming pools and farming land (rustic?) I'm a bit confused, above ground, water deposits etc etc

Background:
House is in Valencia region. Whole plot is walled including house and land. Currently grows oranges on the plot (rows and rows of orange trees) surrounding area is mainly orange growers.

1. Digging up the orange trees. Is this allowed
2. Convert the area to garden with paths, hard standing for vehicle parking etc. is this allowed
3. Swimming pool: in ground preferred but above ground would work currently has a small above ground pool

In a nutshell what problems/ hurdles am I looking at to take this from a house with a smallholding growing oranges to a house with garden/swimming pool?

Old Dec 27th 2023, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pools and gardens on farming land

Depends on what the local town hall's plans and policies are - I suggest you approach them because, at the end of the day, you will need their permission which may or may not be forthcoming.

Go and have a chat with them and see what reaction you get, if you get a no then you need not spend time and money on having plans etc drawn up.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Are you experienced in gardening in an area with low rainfall high temperatures and growing plants that will not frazzle up and die and provide fuel for wild fires? What is your water supply like especially in the summer When I moved to Italy creating a garden was a steep learning curve and I quickly learned to follow the neighbours advice.They are the best source of help and advice when it comes to gardening/growing and there are probably good reasons why they are all growing oranges,and anyway live there for a year so that you can experience all the seasons before decisions are made But I agree with Spainrico-speak with the town hall be upfront about what you hope to do.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 12:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Do you own this property or are you looking to buy it?

You need to check whether it is classed as a house or an agricultural building as part of a farm.

That will determine what you can do.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slater14
Hi guys,
I've read quite a bit about swimming pools and farming land (rustic?) I'm a bit confused, above ground, water deposits etc etc

Background:
House is in Valencia region. Whole plot is walled including house and land. Currently grows oranges on the plot (rows and rows of orange trees) surrounding area is mainly orange growers.

1. Digging up the orange trees. Is this allowed
2. Convert the area to garden with paths, hard standing for vehicle parking etc. is this allowed
3. Swimming pool: in ground preferred but above ground would work currently has a small above ground pool

In a nutshell what problems/ hurdles am I looking at to take this from a house with a smallholding growing oranges to a house with garden/swimming pool?
Depends where in the region you are living. This part of the Alicante area you wont ever get the permission for a pool.
And as others have said Rustic land is farm land, you may not even get permission to live permanently on it (the building may in the deeds be just an over night for the picking of the oranges).
Locally to us if the land area is less than 20,000 M2 you cant build or extend...

Never accept the word of the agent, you need professional assistance (oh and dont use the solicitor etc the agent recommends either) find a totally independent one (from the next or even two towns away..
Get them to get a copy of the deeds and check them and ask at the town hall as well.