Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool never been filled ?

Swimming Pool never been filled ?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough
Default Swimming Pool never been filled ?

Can anyone advise ?

A property we are interested in has a swimming pool which was built about 3 or 4 years ago when the house was reformed, but it has never been filled with water as the property has never been lived in.

How can I ensure that everything is "in working order" with the pool and would it have to be filled with water for it to be checked. Obviously we do not own the property as yet

Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming Pool never been filled ?

Originally Posted by Ambre Solaire
Can anyone advise ?

A property we are interested in has a swimming pool which was built about 3 or 4 years ago when the house was reformed, but it has never been filled with water as the property has never been lived in.

How can I ensure that everything is "in working order" with the pool and would it have to be filled with water for it to be checked. Obviously we do not own the property as yet

Thanks
Im not an expert but cant see there would be anyway to check for leaks or test the filtration system (assuming it has one) without filling it with water
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any rain water in it ?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:12 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

You'll probably find loads of loose tiles and the whole thing will need either an acid wash and/or re-grouting too
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Is there any rain water in it ?
now thats a bloody good point jdr!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:19 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Also consider the cost of filling it, although they don't need to be emptied each winter as I had always imagined. If you have well/bore hole water, your pump may not be poweful enugh to fill it and you will probably have to buy in water at around 80-100 EU for about 12,000 litres. I would consider making a retention subject to the satisfactory filling and running of the filter system.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Ambre Solaire will become famous soon enoughAmbre Solaire will become famous soon enough

How long does it take to fill an empty pool, I think it is 6m x 3m

Would you get a pool "engineer" ? to look at it while it was filling or look at the pump house and tiles before it is filled and then after ?

Apologies if these questions sound a bit dim !
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:46 am
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Get the pool surface checked before it is filled. You can do this, check for discolouration and loose tiles. Then once you are filling it check the pump and filter. Send me a PM if you need specific advice
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:47 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Where are you Ambre?? If you are anywhere near Chiclana or thereabouts Ben from CDL Caretaking will probabaly look at it for you for a very reasonable fee. Our pool was still cloudy after running the pump and the chemicals etc.. he got it clear and sparkling in no time at all.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Miles away - unfortunately, property is near Rute in Cordoba.

I only thought about the pool last night, as I have been thinking about builders quotes - free ones that is on the house !

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

You really need Beachcomber's advice here.

I'm sure that a swimming pool can suffer structural damage if it's left empty for any length of time and I'm guessing that it would be very expensive to rectify once it's happened.

If I were you I'd want to check this out properly before I signed on the dotted line.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
You really need Beachcomber's advice here.

I'm sure that a swimming pool can suffer structural damage if it's left empty for any length of time and I'm guessing that it would be very expensive to rectify once it's happened.

If I were you I'd want to check this out properly before I signed on the dotted line.
Is it actually not a good idea to empty a pool at all? Ours is a couple of years old now and the light needs replacing so I guess I'll have to drain partially at some point, but should it be drained and maintained avery so many years?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Is it actually not a good idea to empty a pool at all? Ours is a couple of years old now and the light needs replacing so I guess I'll have to drain partially at some point, but should it be drained and maintained avery so many years?

No you don't need to drain the pool at all to change the light, as they are usually in a removable water tight unit. Someone else on here will probably be able to explain how to do it because although Ben at CDL did tell me, I never actually finished the job off and ended up leaving it for him to do
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
No you don't need to drain the pool at all to change the light, as they are usually in a removable water tight unit. Someone else on here will probably be able to explain how to do it because although Ben at CDL did tell me, I never actually finished the job off and ended up leaving it for him to do

You know, I wondered if that was the case but I didn't have the guts to remove the two screws in case disaster struck!

Thats interesting ..... anyone in the know give me some tips then please?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You know, I wondered if that was the case but I didn't have the guts to remove the two screws in case disaster struck!

Thats interesting ..... anyone in the know give me some tips then please?
HERE keep yer Marigolds and wellies on though ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.