Surprises

Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:46 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surprises

Here's the site talking about punctuality improvements:

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/gener...d-the-way.html

I like this comment that Geoff Steel left:

Yes it is good to see higher levels of performance but I agree with Leslie Burge that 19 minutes late is stlll late. I would like to see what percentage of trains actually arrive on time bearing in mind that most trains are allowed some recovery time in reaching their destinations. Contrast this with the AVE services in Spain that give full refunds for arrivals more than 5 mins late then we have some way to go before we can really claim a victory.
Having said all that, it is good to see things are improving. Pity the fares are often so expensive, but if you travel after 9.30 you can sometimes snag a bargain.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I know of the AVE, 5 minutes late and they return all the fare, so I was intrigued to read the following referring to the Málaga and Valladolid runs. It's still a good deal, just strange the newer routes should not operate the same refunds.
Compromisos de devolución
Para estas nuevas líneas Renfe ha establecido un compromiso de puntualidad más exigente que el fija la Ley Ferroviaria, pero menos que el que asume para el resto de servicios AVE.
En concreto, en los nuevos AVE la compañía se compromete a devolver la mitad del importe del billete con un demora de entre quince y treinta minutos, y todo el precio cuanto el retraso exceda la media hora.
En el caso de los trenes Alvia que realizan por el AVE parte de sus recorridos, reintegra el 25% del billete con retrasos de más de 20 minutos, la mitad con demoras de más de 40 minutos y el 100% cuando y llega a su destino más de una hora tarde.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:38 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
If you want a Spaniard that really hates Brits and UK, this one will take some beating. She hated it so much, she only stayed 8 years!
http://estosingleses.blogspot.com/
One of things she mentions is kids pregnant at 15 years old. As bad as that is, there are kids of 13 in Barcelona having abortions.
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/3598...ortos/menores/
She did come in for a lot of stick in another forum, a lot of Spanish living in UK rubbishing her views.

Wow, we all know what the welfare state is in the UK we all know who gets the most out of it, the workshy and those with no ambition.

I have read hundreds of newspaper report about this, almost everyday there is something like this.

It is a run of the mill article in the UK press, but seeing it in Spanish makes horrible reading. It really brings it home, the state that the country is in, and the whole world knows about it.

The change of language the article was written in makes it seem much worse, and actually made me cringe, to think that this is the impression that is going around the world about the UK

Very sad..................
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:48 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that suprised me is how many of the Spanish are scared of dogs. I'm not just talking about big dogs either, I've seen grown men cross the street to avoid a teacup chiwawa and had people comment on how my dogs are too big to be out in public.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

They might be clamping down, but seemingly the camera crew had no problems filming it going on. It's right at the end of this video, just a few brief shots.
http://www.antena3videos.com/video/5...mas-peligrosas
That's what I was talking about. It was this fuss on TV that has forced some action to be done in the past few weeks.

Something I saw on the Spanish news on Friday is that British men have been voted the ugliest in the world. There was a study done by an international dating website, so they went out on the streets to find examples of ugly British men.

When I first came to Spain with my Spanish OH I overheard her friends saying "he's not so bad looking for a British man"
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

The change of language the article was written in makes it seem much worse, and actually made me cringe, to think that this is the impression that is going around the world about the UK

Very sad..................
Fortunately, not too many share her views.
http://www.forolondres.com/foro/show...=estosingleses
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:53 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Generally spanish ex-pats like the UK according to the forums (except for this forum of course!). I wonder why a lot of posters on here who are spanish don't join these spanish forums and share their experiences. Would be a lot more interesting for them than sharing their thoughts with us, the sun and sangria brigade.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Generally spanish ex-pats like the UK according to the forums (except for this forum of course!). I wonder why a lot of posters on here who are spanish don't join these spanish forums and share their experiences. Would be a lot more interesting for them than sharing their thoughts with us, the sun and sangria brigade.
Are there that many Spanish posters on here? I can only think of one or two and they have big English links.

Of course most Spanish people who have been to the UK love the UK. And most British people love Spain. It is just eye opening to hear the good and bad things that both nationalities have to say
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:44 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think that the UK is a great country and have always said so.

We came back here mainly because my wife wanted to live in Spain, I would have been very happy to stay in the UK. But now I am quite settled here.

I dont know if the underlying message behind this post is that we are not really seen as valid participants in this forum. But I feel as though I belong here as much as anyone.

It is not always easy going to live in a foreign country and not always easy "going home".

We have found that in Spain, we have the same problems as some ex pats settling in.

I had never lived in Spain as a adult, so it has been a real eye opener for me.

We have had some difficulties in doing our paperwork too. Folks think that because you speak Spanish, that everything will run smooth.

It is not always the case. I have had problems on numerous occasions because, all the while I lived in the UK, I lost half of my identity, ie my second surname.
All my documents only have my first surname on. I found it impossible to keep my second surname while living in the UK.
My wife has my surname, which just adds to the confusion as Spanish women dont change their name when they marry, but as we were married in the UK, she did.

I have lived over half my like in the UK and most of my "important events" like starting work, passing driving test, getting married, having children etc, have been in the UK.
I dont know why you would think it would be more interesting to share my experiences on a Spanish forum, instead of with the "sun and sangria brigade"

I lived a "British life" in the UK, and I actually consider myself to be one of the "sun and sangria brigage".
Finding all the things we had in the UK, telly, press, food, britsh beer etc, is part of the reason why Spain is so enjoyable for me.

I like this forum and even if some think I (and other Spanish) should not be on here, and trying to give us the nudge in a not so subtle way. I can state that "I aint goin nowhere"

Does that answer your question?????????????????????

Last edited by JLFS; Nov 15th 2009 at 6:47 am.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:17 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy reading your posts JLFS, even if they sometimes contradict what I've found. It's always good to hear a different perspective on things, I think. To be honest unless people start verbally abusing each other, they should be welcomed here. If the Mods however want to impose strict membership regulations, then I'd be happy to leave. I probably waste too much time here anyway...
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Another thing that suprised me is how many of the Spanish are scared of dogs. I'm not just talking about big dogs either, I've seen grown men cross the street to avoid a teacup chiwawa and had people comment on how my dogs are too big to be out in public.
Are you saying that we are all big wusses
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Makingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant futureMakingthemove has a brilliant future

I think it's helpful to have a mix of everyone on here - it helps to keep it lively and get lots of different views.

I am now meeting up with a Spanish couple who are over here in Manchester learning English - sort of a language exchange thing but I am looking forward to hearing their views on England and particularly Manchester. I will let you know.

We have holidayed for the past 4 years in and around Pontevedra in Galicia and one thing that surprised us was the slowness with which the locals drink compared to us. They certainly seem able to 'nurse' a drink!

Having said that I have been out in Pontevedra on 'student night' - Thurs night/Fri morning - I can confirm that binge drinking is not solely a British disease!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Makingthemove
I think it's helpful to have a mix of everyone on here - it helps to keep it lively and get lots of different views.

I am now meeting up with a Spanish couple who are over here in Manchester learning English - sort of a language exchange thing but I am looking forward to hearing their views on England and particularly Manchester. I will let you know.

We have holidayed for the past 4 years in and around Pontevedra in Galicia and one thing that surprised us was the slowness with which the locals drink compared to us. They certainly seem able to 'nurse' a drink!

Having said that I have been out in Pontevedra on 'student night' - Thurs night/Fri morning - I can confirm that binge drinking is not solely a British disease!
Another thing about drinks is that us Spanish are not afraid to leave a drop of drink at the bottom of the glass, they do not have to drain it completely before leaving the bar.

Having said that, I have a British outlook in that respect, ie I dont leave a drop.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you saying that we are all big wusses
Yes, probably! But stick around, I certainly value your input.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 8:39 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, probably! But stick around, I certainly value your input.
No not all, I'd just come back home with the dogs when I wrote that and had had one of my stressful walks with people giving us a wide berth as if my dogs were going to attack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.