Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Summer 2013. Majorca bookings already up in the UK

Summer 2013. Majorca bookings already up in the UK

Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Majorca will become famous soon enoughMajorca will become famous soon enough
Default Summer 2013. Majorca bookings already up in the UK

According to the local news in Majorca, it may seem rather early to be thinking about next Summer but it appears than tens of thousands of Britons are and many have already booked a package holiday for next summer with the Balearics already proving much more popular than this time last year.

In today's local Majorca paper:
The latest package holidays sales figures from the UKshow that all of the islands are up on last year with Minorca proving particularly popular at the moment while key competitors such as Turkey, Portugal and Egypt are struggling while Greece is proving to be fairing surpassingly well, according to Hugh Morgan, the Managing Director of The Monarch Travel Group yesterday.

Optimism “We’ve just had the Abta convention in Turkey and while I would not use the words ‘green shoots’ there was definitely a sense of optimism with regards to the coming year and the current state of the holiday market mirrors that. “Overall, the package holiday market is looking good and the industry is more up beat than it has been over the past few years with the British economy showing encouraging signs and the Pound remaining strong,” Morgan added. “We (Monarch) are expanding our airline fleet for next year so we will have more capacity to meet an expected increase in demand,” he said.
However, before the Summer, we need to get through the winter and that is not looking too good at the moment.
The latest package holiday figures show that the Spanish market is down five percent, the Balearics down four percent and Majorca down six percent with even the Canaries posting a mixed bag of results with the market down two percent overall.

But, this winter, the Balearics, and Majorca in particular, is going to have more regular air links to the UK than it has for many years so that should fuel an eventual improvement in the holiday market.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer 2013. Majorca bookings already up in the UK

The latest package holiday figures show that the Spanish market is down five percent, the Balearics down four percent and Majorca down six percent with even the Canaries posting a mixed bag of results with the market down two percent overall.

Bit of a contradiction there don't you think. I thought everything as hunky dory
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Likeyou apartment, good location Hope you get some bookings.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Majorca
According to the local news in Majorca, it may seem rather early to be thinking about next Summer but it appears than tens of thousands of Britons are and many have already booked a package holiday for next summer with the Balearics already proving much more popular than this time last year.

The latest package holidays sales figures from the UKshow that all of the islands are up on last year with Minorca proving particularly popular at the moment while key competitors such as Turkey, Portugal and Egypt are struggling while Greece is proving to be fairing surpassingly well, according to Hugh Morgan, the Managing Director of The Monarch Travel Group yesterday.

Optimism “We’ve just had the Abta convention in Turkey and while I would not use the words ‘green shoots’ there was definitely a sense of optimism with regards to the coming year and the current state of the holiday market mirrors that. “Overall, the package holiday market is looking good and the industry is more up beat than it has been over the past few years with the British economy showing encouraging signs and the Pound remaining strong,” Morgan added. “We (Monarch) are expanding our airline fleet for next year so we will have more capacity to meet an expected increase in demand,” he said.
However, before the Summer, we need to get through the winter and that is not looking too good at the moment.

But, this winter, the Balearics, and Majorca in particular, is going to have more regular air links to the UK than it has for many years so that should fuel an eventual improvement in the holiday market.
then that will all depend on what the TRUE Break Even point is.

so things are down, but down on what? when?
and remember that the less the bookings the less the expenditure on clearing up afterwards.
if you are letting an apartment or a few then you will not be spending so much in getting it returned to "letting standard" so your overall costs will be lower.

not withstanding - it is good news. The UK has had a hell of a beating from a number of storms that have been brought further south than normal due to a southerly kink in the jetstream. Northern Spain and Northern France have also suffered from this - whilst Southern Spain have been hit by highs from North Africa.

hopefully the weather factor will play a trump card for all Spain and give some much needed tourism income in the coming financial year.

Last edited by Domino; Oct 20th 2012 at 3:22 pm.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Shouldwemakethemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I realise I'm probably on the wrong forum but need some advice. I was recently on holiday in majorca and left my TomTom device at the airport, thankfully its been found.
I've tried really hard to get it picked up by a courier and sent back to the uk but all of the courier companies say they will only pick up from Mainland Spain. Any advice anyone?????
Old May 15th 2013, 1:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shouldwemakethemove
Hi, I realise I'm probably on the wrong forum but need some advice. I was recently on holiday in majorca and left my TomTom device at the airport, thankfully its been found.
I've tried really hard to get it picked up by a courier and sent back to the uk but all of the courier companies say they will only pick up from Mainland Spain. Any advice anyone?????
You could ask someone to pick it up and send it to you, but won't they require ID -as in YOURS?
Old May 15th 2013, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Majorca

A bit odd this optimism, Expansion has reported that airlines in Spain are carrying fewer passengers than in the last 10 years.

http://www.expansion.com/2013/05/13/...368445293.html

More significantly the increase in landing charges, up 50% in Barcelona, has resulted in fewer flights and with more passengers chasing fewer seats air tickets are more expensive.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the Brits at all - it's the Scandinavians!

http://joomla.ttgnordic.com/index.ph...=5322&Itemid=2

Norwegian is launching an additional 20 new routes in this year’s winter program. This includes a stronger presence in Sweden, Denmark and Finland as well as at different airports in Norway. At the same time a new venture in Germany will appear with 11 new routes from Hamburg, Cologne and Munich to Spanish destinations.
In what Norwegian describes as a “significant increase in Sweden and Denmark”, the carrier will operate more flights to Spanish destinations. From Stockholm it will raise its number of flights to Malaga from five to six, to Las Palmas from four to five, Alicante from four to five and Tenerife from two to three. From Gothenburg the number of weekly flights to Tenerife will increase from one to two.
Old May 15th 2013, 3:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

My sense of it is that I seem to see more Scandinavian tourists than ever.

Still a lot of Germans, but I sense fewer than usual. I seem to see a handful more Brits around lately, but no huge increase in Brits that I sense. About normal or slightly more.

Next largest increase I've seen is Americans and Canadians (although only a relative increase - never were that many to begin with).

Besides, this seems to be a bit of an advert for a couple of holiday lets, not a real topic.

If you're not getting enough bookings through homeaway, then try 9Flats and AirBnb. They have a lot of traffic and generate a lot of bookings (and don't cost anything up front) - Mainly Scandinavians and Germans, a few Brits (the Scandis and Germans are about the best guests you could wish for anyway - clean, nice and considerate).
Old May 15th 2013, 5:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
My sense of it is that I seem to see more Scandinavian tourists than ever.

Still a lot of Germans, but I sense fewer than usual. I seem to see a handful more Brits around lately, but no huge increase in Brits that I sense. About normal or slightly more.

Next largest increase I've seen is Americans and Canadians (although only a relative increase - never were that many to begin with).

That seems to bear out this story,

http://www.thelocal.es/page/view/spa...m#.UZPHjcrvjxc

Scandinavians are also coming to Spain in ever increasing numbers, with visitor numbers from the region up 13.8 percent year on year.

Arrivals from the United States are the biggest gainers though: March 2013 saw numbers up 35.7 percent from March 2012 to just over 100,000.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:28 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

If things are so hunky dory I wonder why they need to resort to advertising on B.E. ?

Never mind, our M.O.P. seems to have got himself a desperately needed sidekick.