Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Suggestions please

Suggestions please

Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:13 am
Just Joined

VivaJavea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestions please

I am going to be moving to the countryside and want to introduce myself to my nearest Spanish neighbour and want to bring a gift.
I just have no ideas.
I would like to bring something more original than chocs or alcohol from mercadona and sadly I don't do cake baking!
Any suggestions welcome:
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:54 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions please

hows about inviting them round for a meal ??

`
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

How old are they? Do they have children?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Can't invite for a meal as have no kitchen. Yet!
We haven't moved in yet and I think there are 3generations, grandparent, parents and I think a boy of about 10
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VivaJavea
Can't invite for a meal as have no kitchen. Yet!
We haven't moved in yet and I think there are 3generations, grandparent, parents and I think a boy of about 10
I'd play safe and go for a big selection box of pastries or chocolates ... all three generations will be your friends for life then!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 2:28 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

I'm the only Brit living on a mountain full of Catalan/Spanish speakers, and would suggest you treat this as you would do anywhere i.e. the onus is on the neighbours to welcome you to the area. After all you're too busy moving in.

Don't worry, they will come, especially if you are the only foreigners there, they will want to see how you furnish you house, if nothing else.

Set up the grand tour of the house as early as possible, and keep the coffee handy.

I think a gift would be over the top.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to be moving to the countryside and want to introduce myself to my nearest Spanish neighbour and want to bring a gift.
I just have no ideas.
I would like to bring something more original than chocs or alcohol from mercadona and sadly I don't do cake baking!
Any suggestions welcome:
What about flowers, either a bunch, or a plant/shrub/tree that they can put in their garden, assuming they have one.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:01 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker

Set up the grand tour of the house as early as possible, and keep the coffee handy.
Brush up on your Spanish coffee making skills and whatever you do, don't offer them a cup of instant.
I once made that mistake and they were so insulted they promptly went off to the kitchen and made their own.

To cap it all, they'd been running a Spanish bar for forty years and had probably forgotten more about coffee than I would ever know.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I just have no ideas.
Any suggestions welcome:

I think you're completely bonkers. Your neighbours will be very suspicous and suspect that you want something.

Wait for them to come to you. The locals have met me from seeing me working in the garden. Some have stopped, when passing by car or foot and introduced themselves. Likewise, if you see them out and about, "accidentally" walk by and say Hola.

Leave the pressies until you know them better.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies
They are the only other house on the lane and I want to get past the hola stage and introduce myself properly, with my not so good Spanish and my daughter( always good to bring a child I find!)
I think pocaloca's fantastico idea of a box of pastries is the answer.
I just want to be neighbourly and I know they probably know about me from the previous tenant, and I think it's a nice thing to be neighbourly.
I don't think they are going to hate me and think I want something. If this is London then yes, but not here methinks!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame you haven't got a beach nearby. All you would need to do is settle on the beach (even if you were the only one there!) and they would come and sit by you.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies
They are the only other house on the lane and I want to get past the hola stage and introduce myself properly, with my not so good Spanish and my daughter( always good to bring a child I find!)
I think pocaloca's fantastico idea of a box of pastries is the answer.
I just want to be neighbourly and I know they probably know about me from the previous tenant, and I think it's a nice thing to be neighbourly.
I don't think they are going to hate me and think I want something. If this is London then yes, but not here methinks!
It's a nice thought, but you may find that by giving them a gift they will feel under an obligation to return the favour in some way, so think about whether you really want to put them in that position. If there are children in the household, why not wait a little while until Easter and take over a chocolate egg each, and explain it's a British custom. A small token for the children may be easier for them to accept. We often do this for the neighbours' children at Easter and Los Reyes, and it seems to go down well.

Doing any other kind of favours always seems to result in people thinking they have to do something for us in return, either an invitation to coffee or tapas or some small present. The house behind mind has been empty for a few years as the man who owns in has moved to Granada to work. His sister comes round regularly to keep an eye on it, and a couple of weeks ago I told her I'd seen a couple of people hanging around by the front door late at night, and they'd scarpered when they saw me leaning out of the window. This weekend she presented me with 3 bars of soap which she makes herself! I certainly wasn't expecting anything but it seems to be the Spanish way.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just have no ideas.
Any suggestions welcome:
An interesting question and interesting answers.
I've just been asking myself how I would react if new neighbours of whatever nationality moved in nearby and brought us a gift and the answer is I don't really know.
Grateful, somewhat puzzled and a bit bewildered possibly. Also what might they be coming around to borrow when they've settled in!
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

As a little aside when we moved in 9 years ago, our neighbours came to see us when the removal van was unpacking and we were in a mess. We had no kitchen etc and they said come down and have a drink when you want to so we did as I was gasping. They were in their sixties. He is English but she is Spanish. They even asked us for a meal the next night and have remained firm friends ever since.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by avocados
I think you're completely bonkers. Your neighbours will be very suspicous and suspect that you want something.
That's a really sad thing to say. I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.