Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for interesting place to stay in January.

Suggestions for interesting place to stay in January.

Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Question Suggestions for interesting place to stay in January.

Long time user of BE here, albeit in the Australia forum but a first time poster in the Spanish forum.

Circumstances are such that my husband and myself will find ourselves in Europe for three months over winter 2018/19. First time either of us have spent a winter anywhere other than Australia for almost 40 years. We’re planning on spending December in the south of England near family and then want to move onto somewhere a little warmer for January. Southern Spain is the top of the list.

I’ve looked online and I’m completely overwhelmed by the mammoth volume of accommodation that seems to be available. I have no clue which are good areas or bad, what areas will be dead in January, what a reasonable rental cost would be etc. So I’m looking for recommendations of towns/resorts/villages in southern Spain where the weather is as mild as possible in January and that would have a good choice of winter apartment rentals that I could use as a starting point. We don’t want to drive and will be relying on public transport so somewhere where transport links are good so we can travel a little and see whatever is worth seeing in the vicinity.

We need a two-bed apartment/house within walking distance of shops and supermarkets and public transport and at least a few restaurants and bars nearby that will be open over winter. We're retired, don't need night-life but do like to venture out during the day.

Any suggestions of where I could start looking will be gratefully accepted. :-)
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for interesting place to stay in January.

If your looking for guaranteed good weather and can afford it, look at the Canary Islands.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Long time user of BE here, albeit in the Australia forum but a first time poster in the Spanish forum.

Circumstances are such that my husband and myself will find ourselves in Europe for three months over winter 2018/19. First time either of us have spent a winter anywhere other than Australia for almost 40 years. We’re planning on spending December in the south of England near family and then want to move onto somewhere a little warmer for January. Southern Spain is the top of the list.

I’ve looked online and I’m completely overwhelmed by the mammoth volume of accommodation that seems to be available. I have no clue which are good areas or bad, what areas will be dead in January, what a reasonable rental cost would be etc. So I’m looking for recommendations of towns/resorts/villages in southern Spain where the weather is as mild as possible in January and that would have a good choice of winter apartment rentals that I could use as a starting point. We don’t want to drive and will be relying on public transport so somewhere where transport links are good so we can travel a little and see whatever is worth seeing in the vicinity.

We need a two-bed apartment/house within walking distance of shops and supermarkets and public transport and at least a few restaurants and bars nearby that will be open over winter. We're retired, don't need night-life but do like to venture out during the day.

Any suggestions of where I could start looking will be gratefully accepted. :-)
The Alicante area is known for its mild, stable climate. City itself has good infrastructure and good flight links to the UK. Further south Malaga, excellent airport, lovely city and plenty of coastal options.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your response.

The attraction for us of southern Spain - rather than the Canaries - is that there would be more for us to see and do. We have fab weather here in Sydney and we're not really looking to replicate that. We just want somewhere that's a little warmer than the UK for a few weeks. I was envisioning side trips to Granada, Seville, Ronda, Tangier etc. so the Malaga area would certainly fit the bill. Rail links look good.

Can anyone recommend particular suburbs/areas/resorts in or near Malaga?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

The attraction for us of southern Spain - rather than the Canaries - is that there would be more for us to see and do. We have fab weather here in Sydney and we're not really looking to replicate that. We just want somewhere that's a little warmer than the UK for a few weeks. I was envisioning side trips to Granada, Seville, Ronda, Tangier etc. so the Malaga area would certainly fit the bill. Rail links look good.

You could try Gibraltar.
Has an airport, easy links to Spain and North Africa. Speak English (well sort of ) can use Sterling as well as Euros. Atlantic and Med seas.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Stick to the coast, it can get very cold inland in winter. You could try looking at historical weather records so you know what to expect.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure anywhere along the coast will be fine and you never really know with weather either. Tarragona might also be an option and very easy to get to Barcelona etc.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

pricklyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Nerja is worth a go. It is mild, and it's easy to get to interesting places like Granada, Malaga, Almunecar, etc. It's a decent town, not too touristy (although it has its moments), with some nice restaurants, shops, and bars. It's a shame you won't have a car, though, as there are some spectacular drives up from Nerja!
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Much appreciated.