Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Strange little grubs eating door frames

Strange little grubs eating door frames

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

SaratonyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strange little grubs eating door frames

I noticed the door frames looked a bit funny, in fact the frame was being held together by the varnish only and the wood had disappeared. On closer inspection I noticed very small grubs (no adults seen). Went straight to the ferreteria and purchased some woodworm insecticide type spray, ripped off all of the damaged wood and sprayed. Several weeks later they don't seem to have reappeared . The frames were not solid wood - the solid wooden frames have not been affected. They are only in our underbuild where it tends to be more damp.

I have been trying to find what we have got, they did not look like termites.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?? Would love to know what they were!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:31 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange little grubs eating door frames

There's a lot of beetles like snacking on wood. As you say, were they termites, I'd expect to see adults.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaratonyT
I noticed the door frames looked a bit funny, in fact the frame was being held together by the varnish only and the wood had disappeared. On closer inspection I noticed very small grubs (no adults seen). Went straight to the ferreteria and purchased some woodworm insecticide type spray, ripped off all of the damaged wood and sprayed. Several weeks later they don't seem to have reappeared . The frames were not solid wood - the solid wooden frames have not been affected. They are only in our underbuild where it tends to be more damp.
I have been trying to find what we have got, they did not look like termites.
Has anyone experienced anything similar?? Would love to know what they were!
To the letter. In crappy modern-ish, probably not brilliant quality softwood frames done when previous owner had reform done. Never seen anything similar in the original beams. I've seen them a couple of times & taken similar action. Don't know what they are, either
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:19 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Post a picture.

We have had the house treated against termites as well, 1000 € setback!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Little white things around 4 to 6 mm long? If so termites , they will eat your house unless treated!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Post a picture.

We have had the house treated against termites as well, 1000 € setback!

What is the guarantee?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

SaratonyT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies - haven't got any photos of the little critters although we did have the neighbours in to have a look and nobody knew what they were. They were tiny grubs, the largest was about the size of an ant! We ripped off the door frames and sprayed them and so far they haven't returned.

I have seen termites before and there were definately no legged or flying bugs, the larvae looked too small to be termites and there was no exterier sign anything was going on inside the frames, no dust, holes etc.

We bought a plug in termite/woodworm unit which is supposed to protect the whole house - not sure if it does any good though!?!?!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SaratonyT
Thanks for the replies - haven't got any photos of the little critters although we did have the neighbours in to have a look and nobody knew what they were. They were tiny grubs, the largest was about the size of an ant! We ripped off the door frames and sprayed them and so far they haven't returned.

I have seen termites before and there were definately no legged or flying bugs, the larvae looked too small to be termites and there was no exterier sign anything was going on inside the frames, no dust, holes etc.

We bought a plug in termite/woodworm unit which is supposed to protect the whole house - not sure if it does any good though!?!?!

Termites do not always have wings, see photo of termites.
Attached Thumbnails Strange little grubs eating door frames-termites_cwc.jpg  
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:23 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rotor
What is the guarantee?
That they´re dead.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
What is the guarantee?
Best guarantee is to by a house with virtually timber free constuction as many of them are for good reasons.

Also as I have seen myself on 3 occasions, the basic structures can survive a fire reasonably well.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

As the man said, none of them possessed legs. I suspect he uses the term grub accurately, and they will turn out to be beetle larvae.

As I say, there's a fair few types of beetle whose larvae eat wood.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
As the man said, none of them possessed legs. I suspect he uses the term grub accurately, and they will turn out to be beetle larvae.

As I say, there's a fair few types of beetle whose larvae eat wood.
From memory, mine (last seen approx a year ago) looked remarkably like anorexic maggots - not a leg to stand on!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:49 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by fionamw
From memory, mine (last seen approx a year ago) looked remarkably like anorexic maggots - not a leg to stand on!!
There's a huge difference between maggots, grubs and caterpillars, (but only if you look closely.)

Maggots have no legs. Caterpillars have 6 true legs at the front and two or more pseudo legs at the rear. Grubs have only the 6 true legs.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
There's a huge difference between maggots, grubs and caterpillars, (but only if you look closely.)

Maggots have no legs. Caterpillars have 6 true legs at the front and two or more pseudo legs at the rear. Grubs have only the 6 true legs.
Mention of the word termite put the fear of bejaysus in me, hence trying to describe the beasties I saw at home.... they struck me as being crawly things rather than walking, which is why I described as reminiscent of maggots. Is there any termite stage like that?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:46 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by fionamw
Mention of the word termite put the fear of bejaysus in me, hence trying to describe the beasties I saw at home.... they struck me as being crawly things rather than walking, which is why I described as reminiscent of maggots. Is there any termite stage like that?
No. Termites do not have a grub/maggot/caterpillar stage.

Their young that hatch from the egg are similar to the adults in that they eat the same food.

Crudely you can divide insects into two groups, those whose young compete with the adults for food and those that don't.

The second group has young that look completely different. (think maggot/fly, caterpillar/butterfly, beetle/grub)

Termites like grasshoppers have to compete with their young for food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.