Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Stopover in Palma de Mallorca...

Stopover in Palma de Mallorca...

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice
Default Stopover in Palma de Mallorca...

We are planning a couple of days stopover in early August on our way back from Germany. We'd appreciate some pointers which area to stay. We are looking for a good hotel (****+) beachside preferably more geared to oldies and not too far from the airport. Locations needed really rather than hotels as I can look them up but specific recommendations also welcomed.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopover in Palma de Mallorca...

I stayed in Palma de Mallorca for a few days in June 2011 (in the city itself) and really enjoyed it. Our hotel was on the Paseo Maritimo overlooking the marina, and there are also some nice hotels in the old quarter. No good if you want a beach, though.

If you are in Palma I recommend the Mel d'Abella Restaurant for lunch - it is within the Centro de Cultura "Sa Nostra" at C/Concepcio 12 (a converted historic building). They did a great menu del dia (modern Mediterranean food) for only 12€ (then, may have gone up since).

We liked the Santa Catalina area of the city too, lots of quirky little shops, nice cafes and restaurants and a really good "foodie" type indoor market.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Thank you. I guess a beach would not be too far away by taxi or walking perhaps? We like marinas
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:58 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

For a hotel in Palma, it's hard to beat Can Cera for quality and value.

http://cancerahotel.com/

Here's the tripadvisor reviews (all excellent):

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...c_Islands.html

If you MUST take your entire stay in Palma, beware it is a major port city, not a beach resort.

The island is very diverse. You can have big city (Palma) or breathtaking coastal scenery in the mountains, quiet historic back country, small intimate beaches, or huge white sand beaches (north coast), you can find ancient villages that haven't changed much in 100's of years, or you can have something like Las Vegas - all depends on where you go. It's different from the north to the south, the east to the west. There are a lot of choices.

Anyway, check out Can Cera. I think you'd really like it (the food is great, too!)

Enjoy our little paradise in the med!

-Ami

Last edited by amideislas; Jun 3rd 2012 at 5:01 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Thank you. I guess a beach would not be too far away by taxi or walking perhaps? We like marinas
Tbh I don't know, I never went to the beach. Amideislas would have a better idea I guess, but I would think the beach at Arenal or Portals Nous would not be too far away.

If you want to take a day trip independently and see some of the nicest scenery Mallorca has to offer, and don't want to hire a car, I suggest taking the old train from Palma to Soller, which goes through the mountains, have a look around Soller then continue on to Porto de Soller by tram (lovely resort around a very pretty bay). Come back on the bus from Porto de Soller to Palma, which travels along the coast road via Deia, absolutely stunning coastline. Make sure to sit on the right hand side of the bus to get the best views although the tight bends and sheer drops might make those of a nervous disposition flinch!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
For a hotel in Palma, it's hard to beat Can Cera for quality and value.

http://cancerahotel.com/
Add in the vat and breakfast for two, the cheapest rooms works out about €200, so it should be reasonable!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:16 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

One option that may suit you - some of the best experiences here are in our little B&B's all over the island - Small privately-owned villas, apartments and rooms hosted by some really nice people. Often lovely old fincas, fully modernised, offering an alternative to the resort experience without the crowds and tourist traps, with the added benefit of the hosts' local knowledge.

Try these:

9flats.com

airbnb.com

Just enter "majorca" as a search term to see a detailed list of places.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Add in the vat and breakfast for two, the cheapest rooms works out about €200, so it should be reasonable!
He did ask for 4* +. It would be quite a stretch to find that in one of the most desirable areas of Palma old town for less.

Ironically, for the same amount or less, you could probably get a beachfront apartment on the north coast of the island.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info so far. Just to clarify, we don't need to be in the city. I guess my thread title is a bit confusing. We are flying into Palma de Mallorca airport but are looking to stay somewhere nice for 3 or 4 days somewhere on the island.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:57 am
Banned

Happy to help.

If you need any other suggestions, feel free to PM me.

have a great trip!

Ami
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Thanks for all the info so far. Just to clarify, we don't need to be in the city. I guess my thread title is a bit confusing. We are flying into Palma de Mallorca airport but are looking to stay somewhere nice for 3 or 4 days somewhere on the island.
I noticed you asked for somewhere not too far from the airport - trouble is, if you want a beach resort, the ones nearest to the airport are not the nicest, to say the least. If you don't mind a slightly longer journey, my own suggestions would be to look at Porto Andratx, Porto Soller, Cala San Vicente, Porto Pollensa or Cala D'Or. Alcudia has a lovely, huge beach but in August I would imagine it will be very busy with families on British package holidays as there are a lot of big hotels there that feature prominently in British brochures.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

This is all great stuff, thanks again all. Any more pointers very welcome.