Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Stomach Bugs and Stuff

Stomach Bugs and Stuff

Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Stomach Bugs and Stuff

Dear All,

Since we moved here we get stomach bug after stomach bug. I do love it here on the Costa Del Sol but this is one of the things that get us down. We dont drink the water, and dont eat out that much but guarantee minimum twice a year we have either gastroenteritis or food poisoning sypmtons.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problems?

Has anyone overcome it? Any tips on maybe boosting our immune system against these bugs?

Any help would be great.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 5:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stomach Bugs and Stuff

Your probably catching it from the (tourist) bottled water, read the warning on the label, If it is that good why is there a use by date on it and a warning not to give to children under three, probably contamination from the plastic bottle, drink the tap water I have drank the water and eaten out quite a bit, but only had the sqits once after a curry.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Keep off the San Miguel. My wife used to suffer from tummy upsets on a regular basis until we switched to Cruz Campo, since then she's been fine

I allways drink the tap water and have never had any problems at all.

regards
BW.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise we only drink the tap water, thankfully never had stomach bugs. Only used bottled when we had a shortage in September/October
pwwm
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had any since beeing, here, unless I've eaten some seafood which sometimes gives me the symptoms. I drink well water and bottled water, the one beginnign with L. (can never remember what it called but can recognise it)

If your'e not drinking the water or eating out, what are you eating and where are you buying it from and how do you clean your veggies/fruit etc. Maybe its your supplier of food?

Originally Posted by j0197
Dear All,

Since we moved here we get stomach bug after stomach bug. I do love it here on the Costa Del Sol but this is one of the things that get us down. We dont drink the water, and dont eat out that much but guarantee minimum twice a year we have either gastroenteritis or food poisoning sypmtons.

Is there anyone else out there with the same problems?

Has anyone overcome it? Any tips on maybe boosting our immune system against these bugs?

Any help would be great.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:14 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I haven't had any since beeing, here, unless I've eaten some seafood which sometimes gives me the symptoms. I drink well water and bottled water, the one beginnign with L. (can never remember what it called but can recognise it)

If your'e not drinking the water or eating out, what are you eating and where are you buying it from and how do you clean your veggies/fruit etc. Maybe its your supplier of food?
Lanjaron .....read the label
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Ive just noticed...on the mineral bottles it does say once opened use with 2 - 3 days. Ive never seen that before. All of you seem to say the same...drink tap...but my husband once drank tap water about 6 months ago cause we ran out of bottled and ....he had bad tummy and thinks it was the water.

Maybe I need to start introducing it little by little and get our bodies used to it. Or maybe even boiling it first and then cooling it down.

Im pleased to hear that you dont seem to have bugs where you are...here in Marbella, it seems theres always something going around.

Others say that because its quite warm here...bugs and germs etc do stay around for longer than in England when its cold they get killed!

Thanks for all your advice... Any other tips on boosting immune systems (that really work) would be great to hear to.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Lanjaron .....read the label
I do, then forget it,
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I do, then forget it,
See what too much bottled water does
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

I live in Marbella....must be all the fruit and veg I eat and I drink at least 3 litres of water a day, or bugs just don't like me. Take some alora vera tablets they seem to do me good. Must admit I get most things when I go to England, probably the central heating. I had just landed on my last trip to the UK and for the first time in god knows how many years I got the flu and have now a good deep throaty cough, but was sharing a house with 8 blokes so I think they gave me their germs by spluttering all over me. Good look anyway for a few days with resembling a frog....with cotton wool up my nose, a charming and very sexy sight I don't have any germs now, so if anyone in Marbella gets it, its not me, I left the bulk of it in England

Originally Posted by j0197
Ive just noticed...on the mineral bottles it does say once opened use with 2 - 3 days. Ive never seen that before. All of you seem to say the same...drink tap...but my husband once drank tap water about 6 months ago cause we ran out of bottled and ....he had bad tummy and thinks it was the water.

Maybe I need to start introducing it little by little and get our bodies used to it. Or maybe even boiling it first and then cooling it down.

Im pleased to hear that you dont seem to have bugs where you are...here in Marbella, it seems theres always something going around.

Others say that because its quite warm here...bugs and germs etc do stay around for longer than in England when its cold they get killed!

Thanks for all your advice... Any other tips on boosting immune systems (that really work) would be great to hear to.

Last edited by Mercedes; Dec 13th 2005 at 11:04 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Plenty about bottled water on the BBC news on Wed.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

sunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the rough

I always drink bottled water too and try to drink Lanjaron when I can as this has the least sodium in it. The tap water, although they say it is safe to drink, to me it tastes awful and has a few things floating in it when you see it in the glass.

I would agree that San Miguel is full of chemicals and can cause upset tummies if drank in excess - stick to Mahou of Cruz Campo lol.
Old Dec 16th 2005, 8:46 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunnysenorita
I would agree that San Miguel is full of chemicals and can cause upset tummies if drank in excess - stick to Mahou of Cruz Campo lol.
Doesn't the same apply to any beer drank in excess
I drink San Miguel all the time, mainly form bottles and I don't have any more ill affects than I would from other beers.
Hmmm full of chemicals, that would explain my freaky episodes
Old Dec 16th 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Did any of you see the news about bottled water the other day? what a coincidence. If the water is stored in the wrong place, near cleaning materials etc it can get contaminated even through the plastic. JDR YOU WERE RIGHT! They said that it can taste like Meths (not sure on spelling). And a couple of months ago, in a cafe, I ordered a bottle of water and was nearly sick, it tasted of tcp.

Now, normally I never take any notice of health warnings, but this water thing I am going to. They are trying to get the labeling changed to say where exactly it should be stored, not placed near.... and for how long.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

It can last in the mountains and springs etc for hundreds of years, as soon as they put it in plastic there is trouble

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.