The Sting..?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Sting..?

Nobby (the dog) eats/targets flies! There are lots about at the moment, small flies, blue bottles, fruit flies etc.. generally its a circus!

I usually go round with a tea towel in a combat zone... I am the Fly killer extraordinaire! Makes me feel well hard! The dogs are generally at the rear and Alpha female is giving it large...!

The dogs were out on the balcony and there was a bit of a 'incident'. Nobby, decided to pick on a 'big one' species unknown, which ended up in a lot of panic from Nobby and a big sting on the tongue!

I am sure the dog loves me, but whilst I was trying to extract the sting from his tongue without tweezers, he was having a chomp on my hand! God love him.! Panic sets in as it does.. got the sting out, (it was a big un) so I was imagining allergic reaction swollen tongue etc...

He still hasn't learnt his lesson, but didn't have to get the vet out.. this time
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sting..?

Oh Sarah, we've been there and done that when Shiloh was a pup!
Within half an hour her face looked like she'd gone 10 rounds with Frank Bruno!
The vet gave us Piriton, and it worked very quickly to reduce the swelling, and she seemed to suffer no further ill effects.

However, she hasn't learnt her lesson either
Of course, she can't distinguish between which buzzing, annoying thing is likely to sting or not - so we just tell her "leave it!" whenever she snaps at anything flying around her.

Of course, the dog has to know what "leave it" means - and has to obey!
Also, this only works if you're in the same room as the dog. If not, it's happy snappy time all round - and the "human fly swatters" are none the wiser until the dog's face mysteriously swells up again!

Thankfully, we haven't had any incidents since we moved here. However, since the Piriton is now past its expiry date, we asked the vet here for the same or equivalent. It seems that Piriton isn't available (although someone might know differently?) so the vet recommended Urbason 16mg tablets.
They are actually for human use, so we bought them from the Farmacia!
11.50 Euros for 30 tablets; very long shelf life.
We keep them in the house, just in case.

Hope that Nobby is feeling better now?
Strangely enough, one of the members of my walking group was stung on her head today The shock and pain actually made her cry, so I can imagine why Nobby was having a bit of a chomp on your hand while you were extracting the sting! Poor boy
Old Nov 5th 2007, 6:58 am
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Hi,
A number of years ago while staying with a frend in nerja her ex campo dog got bitten by a snake, stupid thing had tried to pick it up, so face and mouth was swollen, we gave her piriton as had a supply for my daughter, always carry it around although no one in family now really uses it unless neccesary. Anyway Rubia was given some of those, face covered in cold compresses and after a while the swelling etc went down, a rather silly lucky dog. She was always causing mischief, once we were all lazing by pool having a cup of tea as you do!! the pool had wrought iron raiilings around for when her grandchildren stayed, anyway there we were drinking and chatting and SPLOSH!!! first thouhg, kids, so both of us though no more, at the same time we had dived over the railings only to surface to see Rubia flapping about in the water, we hauled a very soggy doggy out, and a large one at that, then sat back and had a large one for ourselves!! What a dog!
But it tested our reactions, we laughed over that dog for quite a while to come, sadly no longer on this earth just one more star in the sky.
Luv Eve
xx
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Eve, thanks Sam.

Will definitately get those tablets, think they might cover a multitude of mishaps.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:12 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Teach him to spit them out as soon as he has squashed them, our lab used to do it all the time and never got stung once. ;-))
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:27 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Teach him to spit them out as soon as he has squashed them, our lab used to do it all the time and never got stung once. ;-))

You'd think he wouldn't need teaching that