Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sterling in freefall

Sterling in freefall

Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:59 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sterling in freefall

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Ominous noises are coming from Ireland. Hard to tell if this will help or hinder sterling though - apparently UK banks (especially RBS) are heavily exposed to the Irish market. Can the UK govt (ie the taxpayer) afford another massive bailout? Or will failed banks be allowed to go under (unfortunately the UK govt have guaranteed account moneys). I suspect the UK govt will help to bail out Ireland, not through choice but through necessity. Vamos a ver...

An Irish crisis and a British nightmare

By Philip Stephens
Published: November 22 2010 19:45 | Last updated: November 22 2010 19:45

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5b9f2dbe-f...#axzz16IYSKaq7
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:55 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Checkala
A reflection of my own thoughts! Firstly can I suggest you Google for a short video called "Money As Debt".!

Watching that is an eye opener. The whole system needs to have a radical overhaul if we are to get out of this mes.
It is nearly 50 mins long but worth it.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Checkala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Watching that is an eye opener. The whole system needs to have a radical overhaul if we are to get out of this mes.
It is nearly 50 mins long but worth it.
I'm glad you watched it. I had forgotten that it was that long! I do encourage anyone reading this to earmark the time to watch it also. It's worth the effort. Ask yourself who governs the country - the elected government or the banks? How come the banks call the tune after destroying so many lives? There is only one answer - Money is Power. When we can't trust our rulers where should we turn?

I do look forward to other opinions and points of view.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you watched it. I had forgotten that it was that long! I do encourage anyone reading this to earmark the time to watch it also. It's worth the effort. Ask yourself who governs the country - the elected government or the banks? How come the banks call the tune after destroying so many lives? There is only one answer - Money is Power. When we can't trust our rulers where should we turn?

I do look forward to other opinions and points of view.
Yes I watched it a few months ago.

I agree that the dice are loaded in the banks favour. And I can only see one way out - a bloody revolution, which I can't see happening unless people begin to go without food and seeing their family members die.

We are going back to the time of millionaires and serfs, just like in Victorian times. Look at the conservative cabinet, all but two are millionaires - and almost all of them were born millionaires. So much for social mobility!

Real democracy and power to the masses has always been an illusion but it seems that "they" were using cheap credit and mountains of debt as a smokescreen with which to appease the mass population and mask the real reasons political decisions are made.

I sense a new dark ages, culturally it has already started and tecnologically and economically it may be on the horizon
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

I agree that the dice are loaded in the banks favour. And I can only see one way out - a bloody revolution, which I can't see happening unless people begin to go without food and seeing their family members die.

We are going back to the time of millionaires and serfs, just like in Victorian times. Look at the conservative cabinet, all but two are millionaires - and almost all of them were born millionaires. So much for social mobility!

Real democracy and power to the masses has always been an illusion but it seems that "they" were using cheap credit and mountains of debt as a smokescreen with which to appease the mass population and mask the real reasons political decisions are made.

I sense a new dark ages, culturally it has already started and tecnologically and economically it may be on the horizon
Spot on.
I was just using the same metaphor with my OH. I said these are the new 'Feudal'days .
Watching the telly this morning I saw students rioting. It's true that we've mortgaged their future and are asking kids to pay for our greed.
In my youth anyone could be socially and intellectually mobile.
This is the only fair way. Anyone should be able to choose to educate themselves and work their way up.
I feel the faint rumblings of red anarchy in my pale pink soul!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Checkala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really niceCheckala is just really nice

I do agree with 90% of what both this and the other recent post say. However it is worth remembering that revolutions both bloody and bloodless have been with us for centuries - indeed millenia. They never provide lasting answers. England has been fighting the Afghan war for 200 years of more (sorry I'm not a historian so can't say accurately!).

A totally new way of thinking is needed. As I watch English TV from here it seems that virtually every programme contains confrontational material. Politics is confrontational. Interviews nearly always involve a degree of confontation. Police handling of demonstators is no different. Somehow we have been educated or perhaps brainwashed into losing interest if there isn't some form of agressive arguement which no one ever wins. Alternatively the object of the "game" is to ridicule one's fellow man (or woman).

Completely new ways of thinking are needed. I start from the point of view that we all have a right to be heard and considered. There needs to be a universal search for truth. There is too much secrecy in government - in fact so much that I am doubtful as to if even the prime minister has access to all of it.

Please take a blank sheet of paper in your mind and without ANY preconceived ideas explore David Ick'e web site. Easy to find with Google. Some condemn him for "way out" views and indeed for years he was a laughing stock. Today he travels all over the world to bring a very simple message. It's not religious clap trap! I'm just saying "Give him a hearing" at his web site and come back with your thoughts!

Looking forward to your reactions especially if you've never heard what he has to say.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Please take a blank sheet of paper in your mind and without ANY preconceived ideas explore David Ick'e web site. Easy to find with Google. Some condemn him for "way out" views and indeed for years he was a laughing stock. Today he travels all over the world to bring a very simple message. It's not religious clap trap! I'm just saying "Give him a hearing" at his web site and come back with your thoughts!

Looking forward to your reactions especially if you've never heard what he has to say.
David Icke ... yes ... I remember him

Wikipedia:

Icke was a well-known BBC television sports presenter and spokesman for the Green Party, when he had an encounter in 1990 with a psychic who told him that he was a healer placed on Earth for a purpose.[4] In April 1991 he announced on the BBC's Terry Wogan show that he was the son of God, and predicted that the world would soon be devastated by tidal waves and earthquakes.[5] The show changed his life, turning him practically overnight from a respected household name into an object of ridicule.[6]
He continued nevertheless to develop his ideas, and in four books published over seven years—The Robots' Rebellion (1994), And the Truth Shall Set You Free (1995), The Biggest Secret (1999), and Children of the Matrix (2001)—set out a moral and political worldview that combines New-Age spiritualism with a passionate denunciation of what he sees as totalitarian trends in the modern world. At the heart of his theories lies the idea that a secret group of reptilian humanoids called the Babylonian Brotherhood controls humanity, and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie.[7]

Thanks for that, very illuminating
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:36 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
At the heart of his theories lies the idea that a secret group of reptilian humanoids called the Babylonian Brotherhood controls humanity, and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie.[7]

I have no problem believing that G Dubya Bush is in fact a reptilian humanoid !!
Maybe this Icke dude is smarter than we realise
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:14 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
I have no problem believing that G Dubya Bush is in fact a reptilian humanoid !!
Maybe this Icke dude is smarter than we realise
Yes the same thoughts crossed my mind.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Wikipedia:

Icke was a well-known BBC television sports presenter and spokesman for the Green Party, when he had an encounter in 1990 with a psychic who told him that he was a healer placed on Earth for a purpose.[4] In April 1991 he announced on the BBC's Terry Wogan show that he was the son of God, and predicted that the world would soon be devastated by tidal waves and earthquakes.[5] The show changed his life, turning him practically overnight from a respected household name into an object of ridicule.[6]
He continued nevertheless to develop his ideas, and in four books published over seven years—The Robots' Rebellion (1994), And the Truth Shall Set You Free (1995), The Biggest Secret (1999), and Children of the Matrix (2001)—set out a moral and political worldview that combines New-Age spiritualism with a passionate denunciation of what he sees as totalitarian trends in the modern world. At the heart of his theories lies the idea that a secret group of reptilian humanoids called the Babylonian Brotherhood controls humanity, and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie.[7]

Actually David did not say he was "the son of god". It was Wogan who said that!
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMq6gc1yMg

David rather speaks of an "infinite conciousness" and says that we are ALL part of that conciousness. It is so easy to misquote and poke fun. Wogan was much more respectful later! See page 36 of David's book entitled Human Race Get of Your Knees
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Why do anti-establishment posts can hijacked by spirituality and conspiracy theory nuts?

Spirituality is the lowest of the low, the refuge of the illiterate, even worse than mainstream religion.

Think for yourself! And if you're not capable of that, go watch X-factor or something
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually David did not say he was "the son of god". It was Wogan who said that!
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nMq6gc1yMg
Err ... he did actually, he has spoken about it himself.

Anyways, I guess we'd better get back on topic ....... this is way off
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Why do anti-establishment posts can hijacked by spirituality and conspiracy theory nuts?

Spirituality is the lowest of the low, the refuge of the illiterate, even worse than mainstream religion.

Think for yourself! And if you're not capable of that, go watch X-factor or something
I could say so many things in reply! I will just put these points:

1. Do you REALLY believe that that anything that can't be seen or that behaves in inexplicable ways is "the lowest of the low"? If everyone adopted that attitude there would be no scientific progress! You have only to look at the then crazy ideas of Einstein and Niels Bohr in the early 1900s to realise this.

2. You first line isn't English! Did you use the word illiterate?

3. On what grounds do you respect the "establishment" view. Does it have a God given right to be respected?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:20 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the hand of God is pushing up the pound against the Euro, but that’s about as much comment I can make without tripping into La-la land, as well.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:21 am
Senior Moment

ENOUGH now please
Back to the freefall

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.