Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Steering geometry

Steering geometry

Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Steering geometry

Does anyone know the meaning of the following in reference to a vehicles steering geometry?

1) Caida...................my guess :- camber
2) Avance......................".......:- castor
3) Convergencia............. ".......:- toe in
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of
Default Re: Steering geometry

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Does anyone know the meaning of the following in reference to a vehicles steering geometry?
1) Caida...................my guess :- camber
2) Avance......................".......:- castor
3) Convergencia............. ".......:- toe in
There used to be a pretty comprehensive article in Free Beer on the translation of vehicle parts from English to Spanish and vice versa was designed for motor mechanics.

Jim
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jim.

It confirms Convergencia as Toe in.( that was the one I was happy that I was right with )

But unfortunately the other two have no reference to steering in that article.
I know one means Castor and the other Camber but I am not sure I have them the right way round.
So still hoping for a further confirmation
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
There used to be a pretty comprehensive article in Free Beer on the translation of vehicle parts from English to Spanish and vice versa was designed for motor mechanics.

Jim
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr

Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no mechanic, so don't even know the terminology in English!
See if this helps at all, it doesn't give it in English, but the diagrams might explain it. All the terms you mention are shown there.
http://www.mecanicavirtual.org/direccion-geometria.htm
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Links to things were put in there to help people like you.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
I'm no mechanic, so don't even know the terminology in English!
See if this helps at all, it doesn't give it in English, but the diagrams might explain it. All the terms you mention are shown there.
http://www.mecanicavirtual.org/direccion-geometria.htm

Thanks agoreira that confirms my guesses were correct.

Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
Links to things were put in there to help people like you.
I agree and I thanked Bigger Jim for pointing the link out to me.

But unfortunately the article does not answer the questions I asked.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks agoreira that confirms my guesses were correct.

Being a petrol head myself and just out of curiosty why do you need this info? Had an ITV failure?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rotor
Being a petrol head myself and just out of curiosty why do you need this info? Had an ITV failure?
The vehicle has a very slight tendency to turn right ( makes rolling a smoke whilst driving akward )

It has on a couple of occasions been to have it's steering checked, there is always a very slight discrepency with the front left Caida / camber. I am always told that it is so small as to have any effect. However there are no other problems and it has never been in an accident.

Changing the camber is not too difficult and I could do it myself, but then it would require checking which I do not have the instruments for. We have paid for a check and rectification so I do not see why the garage does not rectify it.

Yesterday it was checked again and pronounced acceptable, however I then got the mechanic to go for a test drive.He agreed with me that there was a problem. We have been asked to return on Tuesday and so far we have not been given any bills.

I think this time we will solve the problem.

With reference to the ITV, it passed in December.
The ITV staff do not drive the vehicles, so for a failure on this subject there would have to be something very noticeable for them to spot it.