Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:41 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Hello!

I assume you have a business in Spain. Do you mind if I ask what line you are in?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexBramwell
Recessions are followed by expansion and Spain is, despite what the Daily Mail says, a great place to do business. Lots of paperwork yes, but less competition in most industries.
Problem is the DM is not alone, this page puts UK 7th in the countries easiest to do business in, whilst Spain languishes in 44th place. Perhaps they are all wrong though.
http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

AlexBramwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimenato
Hello!

I assume you have a business in Spain. Do you mind if I ask what line you are in?
I am a freelance photographer and writer in Gran Canaria.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:49 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

over the past couple of years I have seen various items about Spanish bureaucracy for businesses. All centre on the tighter control there is on businesses when compared with the UK.

Its funny that the UK has a "reputation" in certain areas for being so lax it is lying down. The running of businesses before registering, the charging of VAT when not registered (£millions are lost every year on that one), shuffling non- existant products backwards and forwards between EU states.
Then theres the millionaires who pay nominal rent to their business to live in the company house whilst taking £millions in dividend payments.

meanwhile Spain puts a certain onus on both parties with 15% retentions and so on - just in case.
if starting a business in Spain then
http://www.spainaccountants.com/redtape.html
may prove interesting.

I remember reading an article all about this and will look for it but will have to go deeper.

hth