Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Old Jun 8th 2012, 10:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Originally Posted by Liznat1811
Was not being "shady" by not highlighting the exact areas we are looking at. Gib is one yes but we are looking at other areas too. I wanted the overall picture
I'm sorry but you must have been shocked by some of the comments, mine included.

The reality is that you won't be affected by any of it, if you're coming over to rent a place and give Spain a try.

Just consider, a million of us expats are already here, enjoying our lives to the full. It doesn't really matter where you come to live, but I would avoid Gib because it's not a nice place.

It leaves you with a country so large that you could fit the UK into it several times.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm sorry but you must have been shocked by some of the comments, mine included.

The reality is that you won't be affected by any of it, if you're coming over to rent a place and give Spain a try.

Just consider, a million of us expats are already here, enjoying our lives to the full. It doesn't really matter where you come to live, but I would avoid Gib because it's not a nice place.

It leaves you with a country so large that you could fit the UK into it several times.
Morning
Our aim is to come over to rent and rent our property out over here! I am not stupid enough to sell up and move - no way! We may not even feel its for us! Even if we move within the UK i want to rent initially - dont want to be stuck somewhere i hate!
I expected both views - the pros and cons when people answered my question. some people (not you) did seem to use the post to attack eachother etc but as the other half said you get that in all forums.
i have found alot of the stuff on here useful and my question answered to a degree which is what i wanted.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
The way I read that article is that the Spanish banking system is corrupt from top to bottom, was, and therefore still is, run by rank amateurs who haven't a clue what they are doing apart from being corrupt and running away with other peoples money. Only a paper exercise? Sounds to me like there are severe structural problems that need sorting.

Also we are hearing the figure of 100 billion as being needed to bail out the banks...
If you use the word Spain instead of banking I would agree.

Originally Posted by HBG
but I would avoid Gib because it's not a nice place.
The worst thing about Gib is it's neighbour, otherwise it is quite nice.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:43 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they've finally caught up with this lot.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...identity-theft

That they were based in Alicante didn't surprise me. I remember local expat newspapers openly advertising all sorts of forged documents from driving licences through to complete false identities.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:51 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Well, they've finally caught up with this lot.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...identity-theft

That they were based in Alicante didn't surprise me. I remember local expat newspapers openly advertising all sorts of forged documents from driving licences through to complete false identities.
Anyone else feel they should look at his hard drive as well? Dodgy picture?
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apparently, they are now investigating 11,000 people who made use of these fraudulent services, quite a few of them here in Spain to obtain mortgages.

It's been going on for a long time; ten years ago you could walk into certain expat bars and order a British road tax and MOT to be delivered half-an-hour later for twenty quid.

If you wanted to buy a gun, you would have to use certain Spanish bars and it took a bit longer, an hour or so.

If you don't scratch the surface, you can lead a happy life and not be affected by any of it.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Apparently, they are now investigating 11,000 people who made use of these fraudulent services, quite a few of them here in Spain to obtain mortgages.

It's been going on for a long time; ten years ago you could walk into certain expat bars and order a British road tax and MOT to be delivered half-an-hour later for twenty quid.

If you wanted to buy a gun, you would have to use certain Spanish bars and it took a bit longer, an hour or so.

If you don't scratch the surface, you can lead a happy life and not be affected by any of it.
about 20yrs ago I stayed overnight in a small hotel in Lancashire, small group of us at the bar, on of the locals reckoned you could get a gun inside 2 hours if you had the cash.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
about 20yrs ago I stayed overnight in a small hotel in Lancashire, small group of us at the bar, on of the locals reckoned you could get a gun inside 2 hours if you had the cash.
There are lots of places like that in Lancashire Dom.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:49 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
There are lots of places like that in Lancashire Dom.
probably, I come from Darn Sarf, only just north of the Watford line, and it wasnt the sort of discussion we had, even in the few that locked the doors after time.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

In the school I went to in the 60's students were manufacturing their own.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:40 pm

Spain's cost of borrowing has gone up again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18405729
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:47 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

And 18 spanish banks have been downgraded...another bit of sticking plaster that didn't work. NEXT! Italy
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First they came for Greece, then Ireland, then Portugal, then Spain, but I didn't speak out because I'm British.

Then they came for the UK . . . .

The Pastor's been dead a long time, but he got some of it right.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO? Thanks.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

AlexBramwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Spain's economic problems are largely due to the huge property boom. The recession is real, but isn't as as bad as it sounds. If you move to Spain now with some cash and some common sense you will be fine. Recessions are followed by expansion and Spain is, despite what the Daily Mail says, a great place to do business. Lots of paperwork yes, but less competition in most industries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.