Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Originally Posted by HBG
If breaking peoples' dreams was a criminal offence, some posters on this forum would be doing porridge.

However, some small observations, on the ground, about four hours old.

I saw some workmen doing major repairs to drains in the street. Just further along I came to the chemist which has a temperature reading outside. It showed 33 degrees.

Well yes, I know building work can be unbearable, even at 15C never mind 33C.

Back in the early 90s I met some young Brits spending the year in Granada. Although unemployment was just as high as it is now, they'd managed to get work in nightclubs (basically serving and clearing away empty glasses). They told me it wasn't hard to find as most Spanish didn't appreciate the unsocial hours, and besides as guiris they added a certain glamour to the club - perhaps similar to the way Pret-a-Manger nearly always employs foreigners in London.
I'm not sure that would work so well now in Spain, after they've had a decade of high immigration. Also, a lot of the building workers (certainly in Madrid) were Rumanians, Moroccans, Ecuadorians etc. until the current crisis. If they've gone it's probably because the work has gone, not because Spanish people are suddenly taking the jobs back.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Wow that's some heavy googling - an article from 2005! I think I'll prefer more recent stuff tbh !

o?
Still spouting the same old, same old, the article might be from 2005, but I fail to see why it still cannot be still relevant today, I dont see why it shouldnt, be as the abuses in other professions have not changed, ie people not getting proper contracts, or no contracts, in 2005 and it still happens in 2012, etc, so why should not the "downside" of TEFL teaching not be the same as in 2005, or worse even due to the recession?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Still spouting the same old, same old, the article might be from 2005, but I fail to see why it still cannot be still relevant today, I dont see why it shouldnt, be as the abuses in other professions have not changed, ie people not getting proper contracts, or no contracts, in 2005 and it still happens in 2012, etc, so why should not the "downside" of TEFL teaching not be the same as in 2005, or worse even due to the recession?
If you choose not to listen to someone who's been in the business (and still has links in Madrid), you can always look at the last link I put that advertises rates for 2012 (and other years tbh). If you choose not to do that, then fine, forget it. I really don't have the time to deal with yet another of your melt-downs.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching jobs are rubbish on the coast. Know some who have done them and given up. Hours are split eg. 2hours am and 2hours pm. Pay was 12 to 15 euros per hour but have read it can be less. Frankly TEFL qualifications are very common amongst ex-pats, there are loads have them. The reputable institutions won't even consider you unless you have a professional teaching qualification such as PGCE too.

Stevie if I read all your links I would never have time to do anything else. Do you actually do any work
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:09 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Teaching jobs are rubbish on the coast. Know some who have done them and given up. Hours are split eg. 2hours am and 2hours pm. Pay was 12 to 15 euros per hour but have read it can be less. Frankly TEFL qualifications are very common amongst ex-pats, there are loads have them. The reputable institutions won't even consider you unless you have a professional teaching qualification such as PGCE too.

Stevie if I read all your links I would never have time to do anything else. Do you actually do any work
You're forgetting your persona here as a shrewd property buyer-and-seller who doesn't need to work. Less of the lectures please on work - obviously something you know little about!

I agree (and have already said so) that things are different on the coast. No surprise, considering how many native English speakers there must be within a few miles.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

If you choose not to listen to someone who's been in the business (and still has links in Madrid), you can always look at the last link I put that advertises rates for 2012 (and other years tbh). If you choose not to do that, then fine, forget it. I really don't have the time to deal with yet another of your melt-downs.
In what way is my post a melt down?

I did not write the article, I have agreed that the article is old, and only ask why it should not be still relevant today, as abuses in other professions is still going on as it was before the crisis.

Why should the TEFL world be any different to other jobs in Spain.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Yes I thought that, probably worse now. Most of the rosy side of teaching in Spain is put out by hundreds of private academies advertising "Get your TEFL in 4 weeks" type of rubbish. A friends partner went out to Madrid years ago, he had this teaching job full of promises...he was back in about 5 weeks, couldn't afford to live Thats why many of those jobs are advertised...people can't afford to take them. One in Marbella advertises every few months.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:15 pm
Banned

You're forgetting your persona here as a shrewd property buyer-and-seller who doesn't need to work. Less of the lectures please on work - obviously something you know little about!

I agree (and have already said so) that things are different on the coast. No surprise, considering how many native English speakers there must be within a few miles.
I do have friends you know and they actually talk. When I did work I had a REAL job
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

heard about someone doing TEFL in the Granada area, the hourly rate was fine (but not defined) but.....arrived at school to find the class had taken a day off or there were only 2 present and the school had cancelled the session without telling the teacher.
So, no pay but had paid to get to the lesson meaning a loss on the day.

That can be covered by charging people who don't turn up - just don't tell the fluffy bunnies who will say thats against their human rights.

Also the school needs to have an attendence fee for the tutor irrespective of the class.

but WTH I'm retired, what do I need to get involved for
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:18 pm
Banned

Yes I thought that, probably worse now. Most of the rosy side of teaching in Spain is put out by hundreds of private academies advertising "Get your TEFL in 4 weeks" type of rubbish. A friends partner went out to Madrid years ago, he had this teaching job full of promises...he was back in about 5 weeks, couldn't afford to live Thats why many of those jobs are advertised...people can't afford to take them. One in Marbella advertises every few months.
I know a couple of people who taught English in Spain, it was a stopgap and there was no intention of it being forever.

The only other TEFL teacher I know of could not hack it here in Spain and had to hightail it back to the UK with a feeble excuse and an all consuming longing to return, and appears to be bitter and resentful of people who live where they want to.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask, who the hell are the fluffy bunnies?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Domino
heard about someone doing TEFL in the Granada area, the hourly rate was fine (but not defined) but.....arrived at school to find the class had taken a day off or there were only 2 present and the school had cancelled the session without telling the teacher.
So, no pay but had paid to get to the lesson meaning a loss on the day.

That can be covered by charging people who don't turn up - just don't tell the fluffy bunnies who will say thats against their human rights.

Also the school needs to have an attendence fee for the tutor irrespective of the class.

but WTH I'm retired, what do I need to get involved for
That's an important point, especially with private classes, but also with the business people. Make sure it's understood (and agreed to in writing) that if a class is cancelled with less than a few days notice, that it will be charged in full.
It does mean sometimes you'll be sitting in an empty office, but at least you'll be paid. The companies really don't mind too much, as I believe they use the training expenses as a tax write-off.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:39 pm
Banned

I do have friends you know and they actually talk. When I did work I had a REAL job
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

That's an important point, especially with private classes, but also with the business people. Make sure it's understood (and agreed to in writing) that if a class is cancelled with less than a few days notice, that it will be charged in full.
It does mean sometimes you'll be sitting in an empty office, but at least you'll be paid. The companies really don't mind too much, as I believe they use the training expenses as a tax write-off.
if someone wants to jump in and take a contract without reading it or understanding what the conditions are then its their lookout.

I remember a TEFL tutor who had a class consisting 2xNepalese, 1xChinese, 2xPakistani, 1xIndian and a couple of other nationalities I have forgotten.
Couldnt speak a word of their languages but got them talking and writing in English from 3 hour weekly sessions. At the end of the course they all took a charabang to the seaside and used their English.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:41 pm

and did it pay in reals ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.