Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:44 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I reckon most of those jobs are pie in the sky. Almost all those recruitment sites in Spain are scams according to the Spanish.
Since they are not recruitment sites I put (specifically put links to the companies websites directly) you obviously didn't read them. Your judgement, yet again is proven to be heavily-prejudiced and totally useless.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:45 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liznat1811
Thanks! I will be looking for work out there! As will my husband! I am certainly not living in a bubble where i think everything will be easy as pie and we will be move over and it will fall into place. I just wanted to hear what expats in Spain thought of current situation, what advice i could get etc!
Cheap Wine sounds good
Ok... So what do you do for a living now and what is your other half going to do?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Ok... So what do you do for a living now and what is your other half going to do?
I am going currently an administrator but also qualifed legal sec (yes i know the latter prob wont be of any use in Spain) and husband is qualified scuba diver and qualified tefl teacher
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:53 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am going currently an administrator but also qualifed legal sec (yes i know the latter prob wont be of any use in Spain) and husband is qualified scuba diver and qualified tefl teacher
Your husband stands an excellent chance of getting work if he is a qualified tefl teacher, especially in somewhere like Madrid (I realise it may not be your first choice). The following link gives some tips on how to get that particular work:

http://www.madbudget.com/how-to-find...teacher-spain/

The article seems to imply that it's good for this type of work all over Spain, but I suspect based on feedback here that it's not so good in coastal areas - too many other Brits chasing that type of work

Before advertising, do some research on the rate people are charging in your city and adjust it based on your qualifications. Some examples of possible hourly rates are between 10€ and 20€ per hour in Seville and between 15€ and 35€ in Madrid.
I would also add that the best time to look for this type of work (at least in the cities) is September/October time. Most cities virtually shut down in August. And he will need to quickly get up to speed in Spanish.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:54 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

As risk of being shot down you will probably need some Spanish, you will, if you want to go into your trade, need to be able to understand and converse in the local language, often more complicated in your line of work than say bar work. By not doing so you will restrict yourself in an ever shrinking market.

As to your other half that will be much more transient, in some areas he may find work easily, in others not so, there are many pitfalls with being self employed and again, some understanding of Spanish would be an advantage but don't take my word for it, I'm sure there will be 400 links and 3000 testimonials and anecdotal tales of how there are tens of thousands of Richard Bransons who have done just like you are about to do.... there are not, its hard, its tough and thats even in good times, now IS NOT GOOD TIMES, its tough times and it will put a strain on everything you have and everything you do.

Is it worth it? Only you can decide that.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:56 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Your husband stands an excellent chance of getting work if he is a qualified tefl teacher, especially in somewhere like Madrid (I realise it may not be your first choice). The following link gives some tips on how to get that particular work:

http://www.madbudget.com/how-to-find...teacher-spain/

The article seems to imply that it's good for this type of work all over Spain, but I suspect based on feedback here that it's not so good in coastal areas - too many other Brits chasing that type of work

I would also add that the best time to look for this type of work (at least in the cities) is September/October time. Most cities virtually shut down in August. And he will need to quickly get up to speed in Spanish.
Would you like me to tell you exactly how much he will get paid? The best my sister got offered way 6 euros an hour.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

Have you considered working in Gilbraltar? You can still live across the border (in fact many say this is necessary as accommodation is expensive in GIB), although I understand there are delays in crossing.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Would you like me to tell you exactly how much he will get paid? The best my sister got offered way 6 euros an hour.
RM, I have experience of working as a teacher in Madrid, and I'm still in contact with people who do. As the link states you can earn between 15 and 35 euros an hour in Madrid. The best earners tend to give Business English classes in the morning (they're autonomo) and private classes in the evening. Even I got 25 per hour for private classes when I was there.
If you work in a language school, you will be at the lower end of that scale, normally between 15 and 18 Euros an hour, but this is attractive to many if you get block hours and (sometimes) a contract.
It's not all sunshine, and the travelling between sites makes it hard to earn from more than 4 or 5 classes a day. But 6 Euros? You are joking sir.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jun 8th 2012 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:37 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
RM, I have experience of working as a teacher in Madrid, and I'm still in contact with people who do. As the link states you can earn between 15 and 35 euros an hour in Madrid. The best earners tend to give Business English classes in the morning (they're autonomo) and private classes in the evening. Even I got 25 per hour for private classes when I was there.
If you work in a language school, you will be at the lower end of that scale, normally between 15 and 18 Euros an hour, but this is attractive to many if you get block hours and (sometimes) a contract.
It's not all sunshine, and the travelling between sites makes it hard to earn from more than 4 or 5 classes a day. But 6 Euros? You are joking sir.
... and you think those jobs actually exist? My sister applied for a job advertised last year, it promised teaching in Malaga, promised a complete lifestyle change, promised that her TEFL would not be wasted but when she went for the interview it was 6 euros an hour. We have had numerous TEFL people come on this forum full of hopes and dreams and they have ALL gone home, its heavily oversubscribed already and TEFL teachers can earn 10 times that in China.

I admire your conviction when it comes to defending Spain I really do but glossing over things and posting isolated good news stories hides the truth and without the truth how can people make an informed decision?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 12:54 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

just spoken to a second cousin of mine in Galicia, he has been with the same company for about 6 years, and the staff have been told that they will have to accept a 290 euro paycut a month, and will now have to wash their own work clothers, which were taken care of by the firm before.........

All the willingness and optimism in the world is fine to a certain point, but............realism is the way to go....
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

... and you think those jobs actually exist? My sister applied for a job advertised last year, it promised teaching in Malaga, promised a complete lifestyle change, promised that her TEFL would not be wasted but when she went for the interview it was 6 euros an hour. We have had numerous TEFL people come on this forum full of hopes and dreams and they have ALL gone home, its heavily oversubscribed already and TEFL teachers can earn 10 times that in China.

I admire your conviction when it comes to defending Spain I really do but glossing over things and posting isolated good news stories hides the truth and without the truth how can people make an informed decision?
RM - did you even read what I put? I've got experience of doing it, and know people still out in Madrid - and by what they tell me, and what I saw last Autumn they are still doing very well...
A fact backed up by this blogger (who I have never met)
http://aviewofmadrid.blogspot.co.uk/...f-thought.html

I was attending a meeting with other teachers recently. All of them were reporting, like me, if they wanted it, an increase in workload. We may well be in a recession, but language teaching seems to be hardly affected. It's not just English. French and German are also, it seems, needed by Spanish businessmen and women. Not all companies have been affected by the crisis. They might not be enjoying the boom times of recent years, and this is probably, and not too late, making them reflect on their marketing strategies. The companies I teach at are telling me something very interesting: it is not a priority for their employees to pass an exam in English. They want their employees to close the deal, sell, get the contract signed, advertise and network – and whether this is done grammatically or not is not important, so long as communication is established.
What you may not have grasped is that I'm talking about Madrid, and you may have missed this part I entered above

I suspect based on feedback here that it's not so good in coastal areas - too many other Brits chasing that type of work
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone thinking of becoming a TEFl teacher, this is a glimpse of reality, it could be possible to earn a good hourly rate, but the reality is that the hours are short, and it is more a job for a non family person, it is not usually a job for life and bringing up a family, unless owing an academy, and becoming the exploitee instead of being exploited.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2005/sep/07/tefl
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:19 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by JLFS
For anyone thinking of becoming a TEFl teacher, this is a glimpse of reality, it could be possible to earn a good hourly rate, but the reality is that the hours are short, and it is more a job for a non family person, it is not usually a job for life and bringing up a family, unless owing an academy, and becoming the exploitee instead of being exploited.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2005/sep/07/tefl
Wow that's some heavy googling - an article from 2005! I think I'll prefer more recent stuff tbh !
I was attending a meeting with other teachers recently. All of them were reporting, like me, if they wanted it, an increase in workload. We may well be in a recession, but language teaching seems to be hardly affected. It's not just English. French and German are also, it seems, needed by Spanish businessmen and women.
You've tried lecturing me on this subject before, and failed, because you've never worked as a Tefl teacher in Madrid, and I have. Consequently I feel I have just a better grip of the "reality" as you put it. You're always welcome to your views, but don't lecture on this subject.
If you don't believe me look at the London guy moving to Spain thread, where a guy who's very knowledgeable on Zaragoza points out the high demand for native English teachers there! Unless you think he's divorced from reality too?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:43 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If breaking peoples' dreams was a criminal offence, some posters on this forum would be doing porridge.

However, some small observations, on the ground, about four hours old.

I saw some workmen doing major repairs to drains in the street. Just further along I came to the chemist which has a temperature reading outside. It showed 33 degrees.

Having by now ordered water with my coffee, which is what the Spanish do, I observed an English couple waiting for the estate agent take them to view a property. I wanted to get hold of them and give them a good shake, but the agent is a friend of mine.

And he employs six people, three English, one Scandinavian and two Spanish.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

There's a site here that gives an idea of pay rates in Madrid (when they're open about it)- but it's a strangely organised list, although most of the ads are from 2012 there are older ones slipped in there.

http://www.madridteacher.com/wanted-jobs-employment.htm

ihMadrid - Salary: from €1,372, for 25 hour / week contracts, with supplements paid for experience as well as class type and location. Paid holidays and paid public holidays. Freelance rates from €18 – 21 / hour.

Language Projects - Pay: Between 16€ and 26€ hourly rate.

Linguistic Links - Rate/hour: 27€ for registered self-employed teachers.

Hyland Language Centre -- Salary: Competitive - to be discussed at interview. We also have very competitive rates for freelance teachers, between €18 and €25,50 / hour, depending on experience and qualifications.
As I've mentioned previously, it's not always quite as good as it sounds, especially if it's giving business English classes, as you'll end up spending a lot of the day travelling to different sites, and it's not unknown for a class to cancel when they have a local (or national) fiesta. Plus, there's a cost in being autonomo. However remember you can also seek out private classes to top up your money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.