Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:17 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State of the Spanish economy as bad as the news here makes out

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I admire your optimism I really do but a quarter of Spain is unemployed, more than any other Eurozone country, 51% of young people are unemployed and its banks are some of the most heavily indebted of any Eurozone country. I admit, the country itself may well be in a good position for recovery but thats no use to the hundreds of thousands having their homes repossessed is it?
According to the FT commentator here, the unemployment rate isn't what it seems in Spain - it's the way it's counted.

http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2012/0...#axzz1xCQLhgQv
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:22 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not counting the people who have run out of benefit sort of balances it out Some Spaniards say there are actually more than 5 million unemployed others less. All countries massage the figures and Spain comes out one of the top for lack of transparency with the stats.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liznat1811
Lol - yeh pretty much! Where i live about 3 -4 shops have been shut down in the shopping mall (not overly big mall) since xmas? Lots of friends are struggling to find work and have been unemployed for months
The gov here just seem to make it worse despite their claims they are making it better!
blatently ignoring the sarcastic comment by Jacky

well as you can see from my response, both countries have problems, many of them are the same regurgitated tripe rolled out of the garage every couple of days/weeks by people who are making money out of it - be it the money market selling whole countries short as happened to the UK in 1992 or those who just take childish glee in being prats.

Spain will carry on, inside or outside the €urozone.
There are 27 countries in the EU, of which 17 are part of the €urozone which are Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain.
How many of them have the same GDP of Spain, the long term potential of Spain.?
Funny how we hear nothing about the money problems of Cyprus, which is closely linked in many ways to teetering Greece. What about Estonia, Finland, Malta, Slovakia, Slovenia. ?? How are they all going to meet the surcharges from the ECB when it wants more money ??

Come down in Sept, have a look, yes make it a hard one, especially if you have to have a job to pay for living here. Look carefully at medical. But also look at the diversity of this country, its nice people.
It will be what you make of it, gloom is everywhere even in Worthing.

kr
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I admire your optimism I really do but a quarter of Spain is unemployed, more than any other Eurozone country, 51% of young people are unemployed and its banks are some of the most heavily indebted of any Eurozone country. I admit, the country itself may well be in a good position for recovery but thats no use to the hundreds of thousands having their homes repossessed is it?
Indeed, I think they live in a different world than the rest of us. Where are these manual jobs coming from, over 24% are unemployed, why aren't they snapping up all these jobs?
There are plenty of opportunities for work out there
So why are so many unemployed? Work shy? Doubt it, they don't get the benefits you'd get in UK.
The market for good properties is also doing very well
Like the one I mentioned previously, £1.8 million end of March, now yours for quick sale, £985,000.
Never mind, it's what the OP wants to hear, in the unlikely event she fails perhaps you can sub her after telling her everything is honkey dorey in Spain.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:27 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
According to the FT commentator here, the unemployment rate isn't what it seems in Spain - it's the way it's counted.

http://blogs.ft.com/the-world/2012/0...#axzz1xCQLhgQv
Yeah because shoving as many youth into further education would never be used in a cynical way by a government to hide the real problem, you know, like in the UK? No... that would never happen.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
blatently ignoring the sarcastic comment by Jacky

well as you can see from my response, both countries have problems, many of them are the same regurgitated tripe rolled out of the garage every couple of days/weeks by people who are making money out of it - be it the money market selling whole countries short as happened to the UK in 1992 or those who just take childish glee in being prats.

Spain will carry on, inside or outside the €urozone.
There are 27 countries in the EU, of which 17 are part of the €urozone which are Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain.
How many of them have the same GDP of Spain, the long term potential of Spain.?
Funny how we hear nothing about the money problems of Cyprus, which is closely linked in many ways to teetering Greece. What about Estonia, Finland, Malta, Slovakia, Slovenia. ?? How are they all going to meet the surcharges from the ECB when it wants more money ??

Come down in Sept, have a look, yes make it a hard one, especially if you have to have a job to pay for living here. Look carefully at medical. But also look at the diversity of this country, its nice people.
It will be what you make of it, gloom is everywhere even in Worthing.

kr
Thanks! i will def be giving it a good hard look - i am highly motivated so will be looking into everything possible!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:28 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Not counting the people who have run out of benefit sort of balances it out Some Spaniards say there are actually more than 5 million unemployed others less. All countries massage the figures and Spain comes out one of the top for lack of transparency with the stats.
FFS lets sit back in the squeeky clean UK and knock Spain........
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Why turn yet another thread into about the UK. The poster wants to know about Spain.
Indeed, the OP lives in UK, is well aware of the situation there, it's Spain she wants to know about. Old habits die hard, I guess.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

I didnt want to cause a debate just want to know what its like out in Spain. Sorry guys
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:33 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

FFS lets sit back in the squeeky clean UK and knock Spain........
What the hell is your problem? Who is knocking Spain and bigging up the UK?

Spain is in the shit, its own frigging ministers think so, its own banks think so, and unlike you and so many on here who would rather divert the attention to another country THEY only give a shit about Spain, but there is no avoiding the FACT that Spain is in the shit. Now if you want to advise this person to move their whole family out to Spain by telling them that its all great and don't worry so long as you are prepared to work hard then you go ahead, no doubt you will be the first to rub your hands together when they have to slink off to the UK?

People on here need to sort their shit out! Its enough to make me start drinking!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:35 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go, manual labour such as, you should put thse comments on a spanish forum. Are you by any chance an estate agent or just gaga
If manual labour is the problem, plenty of IT vacancies with various startup companies in Spain.

Eg http://www.feverup.com/jobs -- Senior iOs Engineer / Senior Backend Engineer / Designer/Art Director
http://en.blog.zyncro.com/2012/06/05...es-technician/ pre-sales technician
http://yuilop.com/intl/jobs/ Web App developer / Software Engineer windows Phone / Java core developer ...and many more, too many to list here..

Or go to this site where various startups look for talent http://dir.betabeers.com/post/

Obviously not for everyone, but any young talented folk with up-to-date IT skills can pick and choose where to work.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Liznat1811
I didnt want to cause a debate just want to know what its like out in Spain. Sorry guys
don't worry about it, as you have seen there are always those who want to knock the UK and those who want to knock Spain.
It just seems to be worse at the moment due to certain elements.

IMHO its fine here, yes I am retired, no job worries other than fending off those who want me to do things I have retired from.
The wine is cheap, the food is good and cheaper (we send to the UK the food (and the people) we don't want)

Just come with your eyes wide open - not legless..

kr
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If manual labour is the problem, plenty of IT vacancies with various startup companies in Spain.

Eg http://www.feverup.com/jobs -- Senior iOs Engineer / Senior Backend Engineer / Designer/Art Director
http://en.blog.zyncro.com/2012/06/05...es-technician/ pre-sales technician
http://yuilop.com/intl/jobs/ Web App developer / Software Engineer windows Phone / Java core developer ...and many more, too many to list here..

Or go to this site where various startups look for talent http://dir.betabeers.com/post/

Obviously not for everyone, but any young talented folk with up-to-date IT skills can pick and choose where to work.
Oracle in Madrid and Malaga are still hiring

sorry thats positive news, slap my wrist
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon most of those jobs are pie in the sky. Almost all those recruitment sites in Spain are scams according to the Spanish.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

don't worry about it, as you have seen there are always those who want to knock the UK and those who want to knock Spain.
It just seems to be worse at the moment due to certain elements.

IMHO its fine here, yes I am retired, no job worries other than fending off those who want me to do things I have retired from.
The wine is cheap, the food is good and cheaper (we send to the UK the food (and the people) we don't want)

Just come with your eyes wide open - not legless..

kr
Thanks! I will be looking for work out there! As will my husband! I am certainly not living in a bubble where i think everything will be easy as pie and we will be move over and it will fall into place. I just wanted to hear what expats in Spain thought of current situation, what advice i could get etc!
Cheap Wine sounds good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.