Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

starting out help!!!!

starting out help!!!!

Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

chanidoll is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting out help!!!!

Hi there everyone, I am new here! I am moving to cabo roig, costa blanca this april with my 2yr old son, and partner who will be finding work as a chef. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or info on sorting out paper work both in the uk and spain ie. NIE do I need one if I am not working? How is the best way to get one. also residency, healthcare + tax etc. I am particularly worried about how to get my self and son medical care if we should need it, as I will not be working until we are settled and my 2yr old obviously wont, and I have read that you only get social security if you are working. Can anyone help me make sense of all the conflicting advice posted on the web? I would be very grateful!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting out help!!!!

Originally Posted by chanidoll
Hi there everyone, I am new here! I am moving to cabo roig, costa blanca this april with my 2yr old son, and partner who will be finding work as a chef. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or info on sorting out paper work both in the uk and spain ie. NIE do I need one if I am not working? How is the best way to get one. also residency, healthcare + tax etc. I am particularly worried about how to get my self and son medical care if we should need it, as I will not be working until we are settled and my 2yr old obviously wont, and I have read that you only get social security if you are working. Can anyone help me make sense of all the conflicting advice posted on the web? I would be very grateful!
Well you should search the forum as its all been covered, but here we go:

Yes you will need an NIE number for each of you as soon as you get here, and preferably before .... an NIE is used for all manner of things, you even get asked for one if an invoice is produced for you by anyone. Need it for the leccy, and for the car. You generally have to go to your local Police station to apply for it, and it can take weeks to be issued in some areas.

You will also need to apply for residency when you get here, using form EX16

Before you leave the UK you must get an E106 document each from the DWP, tel 0191 218 1999 which will give you up to two years temporary health care in Spain subject to how much you have contributed in DHS payments in the UK. You take this document to the local Dept De Seguridas and they will issue you with another document which you take to your local health centre and they issue a temporary SIP health card.

If you are not working when this temporary cover has run out then you will need private health.

You declare annually here for tax and my return has to be in by May. You need to de register for tax in the UK on BS accounts and with the tax office.

Here, you will be subject to Income tax on your income, and Wealth tax on your worldwide wealth.

If you are bringing a UK car you will have to have it matriculated onto Spanish plates within 60 days. It will be illegal on UK plates as you are a resident here.

Anything else?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

chanidoll is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou that is very helpful. Can I ask does my 2yr old son need nie + residencia etc?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanidoll
Thankyou that is very helpful. Can I ask does my 2yr old son need nie + residencia etc?
For the residencia yes

Well, I wasn't sure about NIE but on another forum someone had done some research and concluded that yes they did, as they needed it when applying for school.

Anyone else any experience of this?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that you bring you little ones Red Health Book too.

Rosemary
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
For the residencia yes

Well, I wasn't sure about NIE but on another forum someone had done some research and concluded that yes they did, as they needed it when applying for school.

Anyone else any experience of this?
Certainly not needed to register for school (parents yes-children no) We have been told (in our area anyway) that kids don't need their NIE until they're 14
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malagaman
Certainly not needed to register for school (parents yes-children no) We have been told (in our area anyway) that kids don't need their NIE until they're 14
Same here in Valencia, Our eldest who is now 7 and born in the UK, is now in his 4th year at the local school, our youngest, now 3 was born here and is also at the same village school, neither have NIE's.
Regards
Tim
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry forgot to say and in order to clarify, there is no such thing as applying for residency anymore if you're an EU citizen. All you have to do now, apparantley, is to register at the town hall or National Police Station depending on the policy in your area,and get a certificate of residency which is an A4 piece of paper with your details on but no photograph so it's of no use as a form of identification.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

NIE not needed for school, although if they go on school trips they can use the parents.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Senior Moment

Sorry forgot to say and in order to clarify, there is no such thing as applying for residency anymore if you're an EU citizen. All you have to do now, apparantley, is to register at the town hall or National Police Station depending on the policy in your area,and get a certificate of residency which is an A4 piece of paper with your details on but no photograph so it's of no use as a form of identification.

Well yes .......... that is applying for residency ..... before March last year you got a card, and now you only get a certificate
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
NIE not needed for school, although if they go on school trips they can use the parents.
We were asked for them (our children were 2 and 5 at the time) - the school told us it was because passport numbers aren't static whereas NIEs are. I presume it's an admin thing.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:33 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by twyntub
We were asked for them (our children were 2 and 5 at the time) - the school told us it was because passport numbers aren't static whereas NIEs are. I presume it's an admin thing.
Yes as I said earlier in the thread I know some people have been asked for NIE's for children to register at schools ...... as usual variety is the norm
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It must be your area thing then, they certainly don`t need them here.

Just had a thought, yours are at private ?, they are probably keeping a check on your money, lol

Last edited by jdr; Jan 28th 2008 at 9:37 am.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It must be your area thing then, they certainly don`t need them here.

Just had a thought, yours are at private ?, they are probably keeping a check on your money, lol
Nope, state Spanish. We even get allowances for all the books!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Nope, state Spanish. We even get allowances for all the books!
Well done, I can`t see the point in taking a family to a different country and a different life and sending them to a foreign school. ;-)

Nobody we have asked in this area needed NIE`s for their kids even if they were born here, so it`s a typical Spanish area paperchase thingy then. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.