Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Standing charge

Standing charge

Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Standing charge

Hi
Standing charge for electric is working out at approx 1 euro per day for a 13.85kw supply is this correct.
Other neighbours appear to be on a 5.5kw supply and pay less standing charge, can I opt for a change in supply so that I can reduce the charge?
We at the moment are only there 10 weeks of the year.
Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Standing charge

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi
Standing charge for electric is working out at approx 1 euro per day for a 13.85kw supply is this correct.
Other neighbours appear to be on a 5.5kw supply and pay less standing charge, can I opt for a change in supply so that I can reduce the charge?
Thanks
We have been paying between €62-69 a two month for a 15 kw supply to Endessa it seems a black art how they determine this. It is definitely related to your power rating. I do not think you can just say I want this reduced since it was determined by how your house was wired and what the expected max load demand would be. The trick seems to be to have a highly rated wiring as you must have and then on first connection ask for a low rated supply, then when it trips frequently uprate it a move at a time. This of course costs money since each trip results in a call out for the supplier to reset.

I have heard of Spanish owners who follow this route up to the first trip and then get a friendly electrician in to increase the wattage to 9-13-15 and then pay less for the standing charge and for all the units used but of course this is illegal and all the supply companies are taking steps to stop it.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:03 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Standing charge

Hi
Thanks
That's about right.

The Endesa standing charge is just over €2 per month per KW of contacted "potencia".

With taxes that's about €30/month.

If you have a 13.85kw supply that would normally be a three phase supply. You could in theory reduce the potencia but you would hit real problems with the ICP fuse tripping. The ICP is a 60 amp trip which sounds big but it actually consists of three 20 amp trips which means you have three separate circuits each equivalent to a 4.6kw supply. That's OK if the three circuits are well balanced but if you reduce it you may well have problems.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Hi
Thanks
You appear to have an industrial wattage. If your not doing any welding ask Iberdrola to reduce it to 5.5kw.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
You appear to have an industrial wattage. If your not doing any welding ask Iberdrola to reduce it to 5.5kw.

If it is a 3 phase supply and you reduced it to 5.5kw you couldn't even boil a kettle!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
If it is a 3 phase supply and you reduced it to 5.5kw you couldn't even boil a kettle!
Well you have to get a domestic supply first and at the same time get rid of the 3 phase. Iberdrola or whoever you use are constantly doing it as customers needs change. Most households have 5.5 kw and have every domestic appliance known to man. Just don't turn them all on at once!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:28 pm

Domestic supplies are available in 3 phase - I have one. If you need more than 10kw then you must have a 3 phase supply.

To change back to single phase would mean changing the meters, the main fuses and most of the breakers in the main house fuse box - not a cheap option.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have to get a domestic supply first and at the same time get rid of the 3 phase. Iberdrola or whoever you use are constantly doing it as customers needs change. Most households have 5.5 kw and have every domestic appliance known to man. Just don't turn them all on at once!
Ours is a domestic supply but if you have a sizeable pool pump plus all electric cooking and water heating and aircon units you need a bigger main fuse for start up when more than one item is on or starting at the same time. Maybe the OP also has some of these items.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
Domestic supplies are available in 3 phase - I have one. If you need more than 10kw then you must have a 3 phase supply.

To change back to single phase would mean changing the meters, the main fuses and most of the breakers in the main house fuse box - not a cheap option.
A friend of mine who was a welder has had to remove his in order to sell his house but his 3 phase was only to his workshop. The domestic supply to the rest of the house was not affected but no doubt it cost a bit to remove it. It was he who paid a lot to have it installed in the first place .
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A friend of mine who was a welder has had to remove his in order to sell his house but his 3 phase was only to his workshop. The domestic supply to the rest of the house was not affected but no doubt it cost a bit to remove it. It was he who paid a lot to have it installed in the first place .
€480 for 3 phase domestic installation.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:49 pm

Yes that is not unusual. A friend has an old installation and the only use for the 3 phase supply is for an old 3 phase pool pump.

Whichever way you look at this they are 3 phase supplies - just because only a workshop or pool pump is using 3 phases (440v) the rest of the house is also on 3 phase (230v) by using individual phases.

Either way you have a 3 phase ICP which can give real problems if you try and downgrade it - I know - I tried!