Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Staggering - see this table

Staggering - see this table

Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Staggering - see this table

Just did a speed test and got 10.1MB which I thought was good (we are with Orange) then looked in more detail at the speedtest site and found this

Net Index

Unbelievable - Spain 40th and some of countries above us - including Portugal!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Staggering - see this table

Just had a look at the table, Gibraltar 68th at 7.59 mbps, bit of a laugh

There are only two suppliers here both offering 4 mbps at around £35 / mnth Adsl and telephone, no free calls.

If you want a higher speed 8 mbps £65 / mnth.

The figure of 7.59 for Gibraltar is due to the multitude of Gaming and Financial companies in such a small place giving a business driven result
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Who would have predicted Lithuania in third spot?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Who would have predicted Lithuania in third spot?
Yes that amazed me - I wondered if it was because maybe thier telephone system was way out of date and then they 'leap frogged' into 21st century with some incredible fibre optic system etc.

Another thing I thought strange was given all the money the oil states have (ie ours) that there systems are pretty slow - including Qatar, venue for future foorball world cup. So massive heat problems and no comms!

Mind you the table is based upon results from those that test - maybe if you have a mega fast system you would not bother testing and not appear in the results.

Anyway happy with Orange and 10mb (think we pay for 6)
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Having fluffed around a bit, I've gone back to Telefonica and a wired modem. I still remember the time when I installed wireless in our guest flat for our family visitors and those nice people crashed everything there was to crash, and even my expensive Norton's couldn't cope.

Another avalanche of visitors are about to arrive for the summer, and they'll have to dongle it, I'm not letting any of them near my safe computer.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:24 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes that amazed me - I wondered if it was because maybe thier telephone system was way out of date and then they 'leap frogged' into 21st century with some incredible fibre optic system etc.
That's precisely what happened in Germany, where 5Mb can be had for as little as €6/mo. In fact I'm not sure if you can get a contract for less than 5Mbps, and some people we know have 100Mb.

Even more surprising, German internet always works (even in the rain), and in the rare event it fails for any reason, service is same-day or worst case next-day, and the time it didn't work is taken off your bill.

Besides, lest we not forget that all of this is just bollocks created by people who are jealous of Spain's sunshine and great economy. No worries, we're still #1.

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 6th 2013 at 9:30 am.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

As I sit here in rural Northamptonshire, I do a little tap dance if we get a speed over 1MB. 2 Megs is unheard of in this village. And to get a mobile signal (Orange/Tmobile only, mind) you have to hang out of the bathroom window.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the detailed country data (click on Spain) it breaks down the data by city and ISP. Looks like those northerners have the best deal! (Cue C-man ...)

Marbella 5.9 Mbps
Oviedo 34.7 Mbps
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well spotted! You must have all been testing - Spain up to 38th!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
If you look at the detailed country data (click on Spain) it breaks down the data by city and ISP. Looks like those northerners have the best deal! (Cue C-man ...)

Marbella 5.9 Mbps
Oviedo 34.7 Mbps
And here I am thinking that there is no point me saying anything on this forum anymore because people don't believe me
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:16 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
And here I am thinking that there is no point me saying anything on this forum anymore because people don't believe me
Nobody said Oviedo isn't perfect. But then I reckon anywhere you'd live would be #1.

Here's an idea - Since you seem to have the solution to all the world's problems, then maybe you ought to consider living "not in Oviedo". After a few years of living in the real world, I'd have to believe that virtually everywhere could be #1.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Nobody said Oviedo isn't perfect. But then I reckon anywhere you'd live would be #1.

Here's an idea - Since you seem to have the solution to all the world's problems, then maybe you ought to consider living "not in Oviedo". After a few years of living in the real world, I'd have to believe that virtually everywhere could be #1.
You really don't read my posts do you? Otherwise you'd know all the cities I've lived (3 in the UK, 3 in Spain)
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
You really don't read my posts do you? Otherwise you'd know all the cities I've lived (3 in the UK, 3 in Spain)
Obviously I read your posts, otherwise I'd give you more credibility.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

tables are just statistics under another name, as we all know.
and statistics, as with tables, can be used to prove whatever you want.

on a previous thread someone claime 50mb in Madrid whilst the rest of us in the sticks are only getting 1mb if lucky.

Lithuania only has a population of 3million, and only 644,000 landlines (but over 2million mobiles). So even a basic telephone system would have the capacity to increase the flow down the tube.
Looking at that list it should be noted that those at the top are generally countries of small area, i.e. Hong Kong, Singapore, Luxembourg - whilst countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy have problems with distance, which we all know reduces the flow down the tube.

I am more than happy with the blistering 100mb I get from my lan, its the wan where the problems come in.

`