Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Squash and gym classes in Alicante?

Squash and gym classes in Alicante?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Tia_Maria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Squash and gym classes in Alicante?

Hi everyone. I'm moving to Alicante next month and I'm very excited about my move! I've been trying to find out whether or not there are any squash leagues in Alicante or any gym classes such as RPM, body pump, body combat etc. but haven't come up with much info. I'm a total addict and I just want to know if the expats in Spain or the Spanish themselves are into their fitness much. I know this should probably not be one of my priorities but these are some of the things I enjoy doing and I'd like to keep on enjoying them in my new life in Spain. Thanks in advance for your help
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Squash and gym classes in Alicante?

I don't live in the Alicante area, but my impression is that many Spaniards are very much into fitness and any city or large town will have a range of gyms with the type of classes you are interested in. I am a member of a health club in Torre del Mar (east of Malaga) which has a 20m indoor pool. huge gym and a wide range of classes including spinning, Body Combat, Bodypump, step, pilates, yoga Zumba and so on. The members are almost all Spanish with only a few foreigners, so there is obviously a big local demand. There is another big health club in the same town which has squash courts, so a city like Alicante is likely to have some too.

My membership fees are less than I paid in the UK too, I currently pay 43€ per month (although I pay it for 12 months in advance, thus receiving a 20% discount on the normal rate) whereas 5 years ago I was paying £50 per month for a club with similar facilities in Manchester city centre.

As to how to find them, I can only suggest good old Google or wait until you get there and consult the phone book (Spanish version of the Yellow Pages directory).
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks Lynn R, so good to know that I will most likely be able to find my favourite classes in Alicante. My RPM instructor had told me they are quite backwards in Spain and haven't introduced the Les Mills classes yet to their gyms so it's great to know that that's not actually true.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tia_Maria
Thanks Lynn R, so good to know that I will most likely be able to find my favourite classes in Alicante. My RPM instructor had told me they are quite backwards in Spain and haven't introduced the Les Mills classes yet to their gyms so it's great to know that that's not actually true.
If you go to www.lesmills.com and pick the 'find a class' option, choose which class you want e.g. bodypump and then search Alicante, Spain it will show you which gyms do it! I know there is one near us in Ondara (small town about an hour north of Alicante) which teaches it - good luck!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

There are a few gyms in Alicante itself so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something to suit you.

http://www.arenaalicante.com/ is a massive sports complex just outside Alicante on the tramline. They do a lot of different activities if you can't find what you want in Alicante city. Have a look at 'padel' online as it is BIG here and you would probably enjoy it if you like squash.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

i found this just by looking up alicante deportes.
agenda of activities available:
http://www.alicante-ayto.es/deportes/agenda.php

main page with the address and phone number and info: http://www.alicante-ayto.es/deportes/home.html
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the replies everyone. I'm very very impressed with the Arena health club, it is exactly what I am looking for!!! Has all the classes I like AND squash courts! Thank you so so much I'm soooo happy such a place exists in Alicante