Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Splitting Mandarin Fruit

Splitting Mandarin Fruit

Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Splitting Mandarin Fruit

This morning I noticed that some on the fruits on my Mandarin tree are splitting out of their skins

It has never happened in the five years since I inherited the trees on moving into my villa

Can anyone explain why this should be happening
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:44 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Splitting Mandarin Fruit

It's usually caused by a sudden wet spell just as the fruits are almost ripe.

However we haven't had any rain so it can't be that. I have the same problem with my limes at the moment and they get constant metered irrigation.

So, basically I am as puzzled as you! It must be something to do with the fact that August/September was the hottest for years.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fred. Thankfully most of the fruit is okay at the mo, it's just the odd one or two.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What about the bark splitting around the base of mature mandarin trees?

I think I already know the answer (they're starting to die!) but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Foot rot?

Have a look at this site http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...us/table2.html
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:59 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that fruit splitting was caused by improper watering. ie a long dry spell followed by wet weather. The fruit inside takes up water like crazy and grows in size faster than the rind can grow/stretch, so that has to give.

Best to make sure that during dry weather, the trees are watered regularly.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I was told that fruit splitting was caused by improper watering. ie a long dry spell followed by wet weather. The fruit inside takes up water like crazy and grows in size faster than the rind can grow/stretch, so that has to give.

Best to make sure that during dry weather, the trees are watered regularly.
polly.walker is near me & we had a massive downpour a week ago - maybe that's what happened
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:28 pm

Sounds right. It doesn't explain why my limes are splitting
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I was told that fruit splitting was caused by improper watering. ie a long dry spell followed by wet weather. The fruit inside takes up water like crazy and grows in size faster than the rind can grow/stretch, so that has to give.Best to make sure that during dry weather, the trees are watered regularly.
Sounds like being pregnant and getting stretch marks
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Sounds right. It doesn't explain why my limes are splitting
Why not? Have you been watering at least every couple of days?
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:06 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sounds like being pregnant and getting stretch marks
You need to worry when you get stretch marks on your bingo wings......
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by bil
Why not? Have you been watering at least every couple of days?
They are watered every day on an automatic system - and have been for 8 years. It hasn't rained here yet and this is the first time we have had this problem.

The oranges, lemons and mandarines are fine.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:21 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
They are watered every day on an automatic system - and have been for 8 years. It hasn't rained here yet and this is the first time we have had this problem.

The oranges, lemons and mandarines are fine.
Very interesting. Mine are OK here.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
You need to worry when you get stretch marks on your bingo wings......
Maybe you need to worry when you sound as though you know what you're talking about!!!!!!!!!

Pomegranates explode just up the track from us regardless of the weather, never have quite understood. Makes absolutely no difference if dry, wet, dry followed by wet......
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:13 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by fionamw
Maybe you need to worry when you sound as though you know what you're talking about!!!!!!!!!

Pomegranates explode just up the track from us regardless of the weather, never have quite understood. Makes absolutely no difference if dry, wet, dry followed by wet......
Naaah, I just saw a set of kingsize wings a while back, and the image is kinda difficult to erase. Besides it's more a female thing.

I have several pomegranates here, they are in the shade. First year they produced fruit, but a lot split, and they haven't produced one since. I'm thinking of outing with them, or at least moving one to the sunny part of the garden.

Plus the damn persimmons. I bought two lots, the kaki have just gone, because they were astringent? Is that the term? They make your teeth go furry if they aren't perfectly ripe, and by then they are usually heaving with bugs, I planted three Sharon because they are non astringent and don't have to be ripe to be nice, and with my usual luck, these were bloody astringent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.