Spiders!!!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:08 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spiders!!!

I wonder if any of you can help me? We were in the garden this afternoon when I spotted a bright green spider on our gate I have never seen one like that before either in the flesh or on tv, magazines etc. I have an horrendous phobia of spiders so seeing this didnt go down too well!! My question is, is this spider poisonous and if not then are there any poisonous spiders in Spain? My main concern is for my little dog and also for my sanity.

Sam
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiders!!!

Originally Posted by sam parky
I wonder if any of you can help me? We were in the garden this afternoon when I spotted a bright green spider on our gate I have never seen one like that before either in the flesh or on tv, magazines etc. I have an horrendous phobia of spiders so seeing this didnt go down too well!! My question is, is this spider poisonous and if not then are there any poisonous spiders in Spain? My main concern is for my little dog and also for my sanity.

Sam
Its not dangerous, there are 1700 types of spider but only three are dodgy.
HERE
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Its not dangerous, there are 1700 types of spider but only three are dodgy.
HERE
Hi Jdr,

This may sound really stupid to you but I cant click on it. You see my phobia is that bad that I cant look at them. Is there any chance anyone can just do it so the 3 poisonous ones show so I dont have to look at all the spiders. That alone will be bad enough!!!!

Sam
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Hi Jdr,

This may sound really stupid to you but I cant click on it. You see my phobia is that bad that I cant look at them. Is there any chance anyone can just do it so the 3 poisonous ones show so I dont have to look at all the spiders. That alone will be bad enough!!!!

Sam
There are no pictures of spiders on the page.
Relevant text (quoted under fair-usage copyright exemption principle)

There are more than 1,700 species of spider in Spain but only three are in way harmful to us. By far, the most dangerous is the black widow ( Latrodectus tredecimguttatus ) which gives a medically-complex and painful bite though it is not fatal. They are commonest in Valencia and Andalucía, and they are a problem in the greenhouse estates of Almeria .

The sting of the black widow, along with hysteria, was often responsible for the condition of tarantism, though at the time the much less-potent but more fearsome-looking true tarantula or wolf spider ( Lycosa tarantula ) was blamed. Wolf spiders are no relation to the much larger bird spiders of South America which have inherited the name, and their sting is weak.

Old world tarantulas (wolf spiders) are found in arid zones such as Los Monegros in Aragon. Their bite can be painful but not dangerous. Finally, the Mediterranean recluse spider ( Loxosceles rufescens ), though less toxic than its African recluse cousins, can give a painful nip. See also Land invertebrates in Spain
BTW, if you want a cure for spider phobia, most hypnotherapists or NLP practictioners should be able to manage it inside a single session (two at most). I've seen effective phobia cures completed in 10 mins, to the point where the person was able to drape a snake over their shoulders or hold a tarantula.

I cured myself in my own way quite a few years ago when in a rural house that seemed to get quite a few whoppers. They'd had me and housemate both with our feet up on the sofa when they scuttled across the floor. It was crazy that two grown men should be acting like that when it was obvious that nothing was ever going to happen to us. It's always easy to see that after meeting a spider, you're not going to come off worse and you can laugh about it once they've disappeared from sight and the shock's over.

Well, one night after I'd had a few drinks, I spotted one stationary in a corner of the wall. I went up to just look at it at first, careful not to make it move, getting closer all the time. Then I moved my hand closer and gave it a light touch, whilst forcing myself not to flinch, ie, the situation under my control. It only moved slightly and after a couple more instances, I was able to put my hand in the way of its movement until it actually climbed on. All the time concentrating on staying calm, knowing that nothing would happen and that I was in control, I let it move up and down my arm for a few seconds until I was relaxed with the sensation. After only about 30 secs, I put my new friend back on to the wall and carried on. Ever since then, I've pretty much been able to avoid the phobic reaction when they appear.

Last edited by coralsoft; Jan 14th 2007 at 5:20 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by coralsoft
There are no pictures of spiders on the page.
Relevant text (quoted under fair-usage copyright exemption principle)

BTW, if you want a cure for spider phobia, most hypnotherapists or NLP practictioners should be able to manage it inside a single session (two at most). I've seen effective phobia cures completed in 10 mins, to the point where the person was able to drape a snake over their shoulders or hold a tarantula.

I cured myself in my own way quite a few years ago when in a rural house that seemed to get quite a few whoppers. They'd had me and housemate both with our feet up on the sofa when they scuttled across the floor. It was crazy that two grown men should be acting like that when it was obvious that nothing was ever going to happen to us. It's always easy to see that after meeting a spider, you're not going to come off worse and you can laugh about it once they've disappeared from sight and the shock's over.

Well, one night after I'd had a few drinks, I spotted one stationary in a corner of the wall. I went up to just look at it at first, careful not to make it move, getting closer all the time. Then I moved my hand closer and gave it a light touch, whilst forcing myself not to flinch, ie, the situation under my control. It only moved slightly and after a couple more instances, I was able to put my hand in the way of its movement until it actually climbed on. All the time concentrating on staying calm, knowing that nothing would happen and that I was in control, I let it move up and down my arm for a few seconds until I was relaxed with the sensation. After only about 30 secs, I put my new friend back on to the wall and carried on. Ever since then, I've pretty much been able to avoid the phobic reaction when they appear.
Hi Coralsoft,

I will have a look at the link.

I have often thought about going for a cure for my phobia. This may also sound daft but the reason I havent done anything about it is because I know eventually I will have to come face to face with a spider. The best thing I brought with me from the Uk was my Dyson vacuum cleaner cos that little cutie chews them to bits (sorry to all you nature lovers). I thought spiders were big in the Uk by boy are they big and hairy here!!!! I will have to do something about it because I drive my husband insane with the screaming when I see one. He doesnt have a phobia with them but he has been frightened of the odd one or two.

Thanks for the reply, it has now spurred me on to get some professional help.

Sam
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are Black Widow Spiders and Tarantulas in Spain.

They are, luckily, quite rare and hate humans so usually run away pretty fast.

You are more likely to get bitten by a Scorpion or a huge Centipede.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:15 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Fred... that reminds me of the Peter Kay advert, where he tells his little girl... "It's not the Bogeymen you should be afraid of - it's the burglars coming in the window!" Classic!

I too dislike spiders, it's not a fear... I just vomit when I come in to close contact with them. Yet somehow it always seems to be who gets rid of them! Hmmmm... At least they eat the flies and mozzies for us!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I hate them too but our 4 cats usually deal with them - it's the crunchy noises when they eat them that I don't like.

They are also pretty good at catching the occasional scorpion.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:51 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Coralsoft,

I will have a look at the link.

I have often thought about going for a cure for my phobia. This may also sound daft but the reason I havent done anything about it is because I know eventually I will have to come face to face with a spider. The best thing I brought with me from the Uk was my Dyson vacuum cleaner cos that little cutie chews them to bits (sorry to all you nature lovers). I thought spiders were big in the Uk by boy are they big and hairy here!!!! I will have to do something about it because I drive my husband insane with the screaming when I see one. He doesnt have a phobia with them but he has been frightened of the odd one or two.

Thanks for the reply, it has now spurred me on to get some professional help.

Sam
Anne is exactly like you. Would love to get rid of her phobia but is terrified of the treatment. The hoover thing doesnt work with her as she cant bear the thought of the spider whizzing through the tube that´s in her hand and then ´being´ inside the dust bag. Believe it or not she opts for boiling a kettle of water and pouring it on them - no physical contact or even near physical contact required. Doesn´t work if they are on the ceiling though!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There are some beasties about, when I was working in the mountains one ran into a crack in the rocks and i poked a stick in and could feel it tugging on the other end. I let go of the stick and it dragged it into the hole. :scared:
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
There are some beasties about, when I was working in the mountains one ran into a crack in the rocks and i poked a stick in and could feel it tugging on the other end. I let go of the stick and it dragged it into the hole. :scared:

It was probably training to be an estate agent!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
It was probably training to be an estate agent!
LOL
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Anne is exactly like you. Would love to get rid of her phobia but is terrified of the treatment. The hoover thing doesnt work with her as she cant bear the thought of the spider whizzing through the tube that´s in her hand and then ´being´ inside the dust bag. Believe it or not she opts for boiling a kettle of water and pouring it on them - no physical contact or even near physical contact required. Doesn´t work if they are on the ceiling though!
Hi Keith,

I have two vacuums, one with a dust bag and one a Dyson. When I see a spider I have to use the Dyson. First because it has a longer tube so I dont get close to it and second because it chews it up so it can never escape and crawl around my house again.

In July we had family over. We were all going out of the front door and I was last out. There it was staring at me with two huge eyes!!!! Just like a tarantula black and brown stripes and hairy (just a little bit smaller). I think the whole of the Costa de la Luz must have heard me scream. My husband took one look at it and his words were "oh shit". He tried to move it away but it wasnt having any of it. While he was trying to do this I was screaming in the back ground. In the end he had to get an edging tile and it took some beating but he did kill it. He hates to kill things and that is why I would love to get rid of my phobia.

Sam
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:15 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keith,

I have two vacuums, one with a dust bag and one a Dyson. When I see a spider I have to use the Dyson. First because it has a longer tube so I dont get close to it and second because it chews it up so it can never escape and crawl around my house again.

In July we had family over. We were all going out of the front door and I was last out. There it was staring at me with two huge eyes!!!! Just like a tarantula black and brown stripes and hairy (just a little bit smaller). I think the whole of the Costa de la Luz must have heard me scream. My husband took one look at it and his words were "oh shit". He tried to move it away but it wasnt having any of it. While he was trying to do this I was screaming in the back ground. In the end he had to get an edging tile and it took some beating but he did kill it. He hates to kill things and that is why I would love to get rid of my phobia.

Sam

How are you with the great big flying praying mantises (or is it mantii?). That is the other thing that gets Anne. And they can be big bast***s! She had one on the windscreen the other day. Thought flying down the motorway at top speed would dislodge it - nope. So then she tried the windscreen wipers - it just hung on. She was too scared to get out of the car in case it flew after her. I just thought it was hilarious.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters

How are you with the great big flying praying mantises (or is it mantii?). That is the other thing that gets Anne. And they can be big bast***s! She had one on the windscreen the other day. Thought flying down the motorway at top speed would dislodge it - nope. So then she tried the windscreen wipers - it just hung on. She was too scared to get out of the car in case it flew after her. I just thought it was hilarious.
Lol I would be exactly the same. Can you believe a butterfly flew into my car through the window once and I just pulled up screaming and got out and wouldnt get back in till the butterfly had gone!!!!

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.